Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 188
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    IDK about e13 drivetrain components but GX is a solid performer, more range, and a pretty damn affordable. Can stick with a raceface crank if you want or go SRAM. Both are pretty easy to deal with.

    Sounds like you're leaning toward a ribbon coil, that'll be a solid choice. I wouldn't recommend the air version, the negative spring is really inconsistent for some reason. Reports are that it doesn't feel quite as stout as a 36 too.

    Brakes... I agree with Toast that the new Codes are the best out there. That's what I run. Best of both the power and modulation worlds. SOOOOO consistent on long descents due to the huge reservoir, among other things I guess. That said, all the shimano four pistons seem pretty solid. Saints are stronger than the Codes, XTs prolly are too. No modulation but you can get used to the on/off feel. I'm sure Zee's are a good option too. Not sure if the new Deore four pistons are available yet but they're on the GF's new bike and they seem good. Prolly be the cheapest of the lot. The lack of free stroke adjustment bothers me about shimano brakes though. I know it's there on the higher end ones. Doesn't work.

    I've got a pair of last gen XO Trail four piston brakes with like 20 miles on them in the bin. They're chrome silver, $100 without rotors if you're interested. These are really nice brakes. More powerful and reliable than Guides and all the bells and whistles.

    Congrats on the new bike choice!
    Curious, what problems did you have with your ribbon? Did the you have the negative leak on you or just find it finnicky to set up? It's definitely not as stout as a 36 but it's 100 grams lighter. More comparable to a Pike.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  2. #77
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    GG makes decent bikes and they're a solid group of guys and a solid company. I came here to say stay the fuck away from e13, though. Do a survey of mechanics and see what they think... I'd be happy to provide countless horror stories and back them up with photos of e13 parts torn down so you can see just how poor the quality is. Don't waste your money when there are far better options out there.
    Do yourself a favor and listen to this man. I was tempted by the range of their cassettes, but they are complete trash. I've had the cogs bend on me multiple times.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and listen to this man. I was tempted by the range of their cassettes, but they are complete trash. I've had the cogs bend on me multiple times.
    The cassettes are a nightmare, but nothing compared to their rims and bbs.... I'm sorry for the ruined rides you probably had

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,218
    Nightmare is a stretch, and the newer cassettes appear to be better. I have two friends running them, and so far they haven't had the issues I've had with mine. I guess time will tell. The one gripe is that it's difficult to remove, which they've recently addressed with the pinch bolt attachment. Having said that, if I was building a new drivetrain, I'd get Eagle. GX is inexpensive, and it shows in some ways, but it's been completely solid so far.

    I've got Aeffect cranks on both my bikes. No complaints. They're inexpensive, they're not heavy, and 24mm spindle means you can run a Shimano BB, which I like because you can easily grease the bearings and it's dirt cheap to replace.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    So, funny story. Yesterday afternoon, literally minutes before I was about to paypal money to the guy with the frame, I got a PM from a guy on MTBR who had decided to sell his small Shred Dogg v2 complete. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. $2700 shipped for the following:

    2018 Pike 160mm (RCT3, Debonair, Boost, etc.)
    2018 DVO Topaz3
    X1 11sp shifter/RD
    X01 11sp cassette
    XT brakes w/ XT 203/180 rotors
    DT Swiss 350 hubs laced to E13 TRS+ i30 rims
    Aeffect dropper w/ Lev Lefty remote
    Aeffect cranks and BB
    RF SixC carbon bars

    Damn close to how I was going to build up that other frame for nearly a full grand less than I had estimated that was going to cost me. The Topaz just came back from DVO after a full overhaul and retune to match the frame. Stoked on that. Cyborg won't like the rims, but honestly I can't find much other negative feedback about the E13 rims. Those DT350 hubs will apparently live forever, so I'll just ride the shit out them and replace the rims with something better when/if I kill them. He's also throwing in a 2018 RS Deluxe 230x65. I don't really need that, so I'm thinking I'll sell it and recoup $150 or so off the purchase price.

    Turned out to be a lot of wasted time hand-wringing about the custom build, and no Ribbon Coil does throw a bit of a wrench into my 2-in-1 plan, but I'll happily dry my tears with the extra $1k in my bank account. The thought did cross my mind to throw the Pike up on pinkbike and get $400 or so for it, which would cover most of the cost the the Ribbon through my buddy. Going to ride it some before I do that, though.

    Time for a winter desert road trip....
    Last edited by Dantheman; 02-22-2019 at 11:35 AM.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Nightmare is a stretch, and the newer cassettes appear to be better. I have two friends running them, and so far they haven't had the issues I've had with mine. I guess time will tell. The one gripe is that it's difficult to remove, which they've recently addressed with the pinch bolt attachment. Having said that, if I was building a new drivetrain, I'd get Eagle. GX is inexpensive, and it shows in some ways, but it's been completely solid so far.

    I've got Aeffect cranks on both my bikes. No complaints. They're inexpensive, they're not heavy, and 24mm spindle means you can run a Shimano BB, which I like because you can easily grease the bearings and it's dirt cheap to replace.
    Nightmare ain't a stretch. Maybe you haven't seen dozens of them, but some of them become nightmares, like "are we going to have to get a grinder wheel out" sort of nightmares than you don't want to have when working on someone's $8000 bicycle.

    The point is with how expensive bike parts are and how large the industry is at this point, there's no excuse for companies like e13. One of their BBs literally spins on the tiniest ball bearings I've ever seen (1mm? 1/16"?) Their wheels grenade like nothing I've ever seen before. Their rims are so poorly designed it blows my mind.

    I feel so strongly about this because maybe everyone won't have problems, but a large number of people will buy it, it will fail horribly and they'll be bummed at a minimum, hurt at worst, and it just didn't have to happen. So vote with your dollar and pay a company who gives a shit. Hell, crank brothers got their shit together after years of issues. When e13 does that I will give credit. (I will say, their rep messaged me last time I talked about their poor quality on Pinkbike, and seemed genuinely interested in hearing what I had to say. So a little credit is due there.)

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    So, funny story. Yesterday afternoon, literally minutes before I was about to paypal money to the guy with the frame, I got a PM from a guy on MTBR who had decided to sell his small Shred Dogg v2 complete. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. $2700 shipped for the following:

    2018 Pike 160mm (RCT3, Debonair, Boost, etc.)
    2018 DVO Topaz3
    X1 11sp shifter/RD
    X01 11sp cassette
    XT brakes w/ XT 203/180 rotors
    DT Swiss 350 hubs laced to E13 TRS+ i30 rims
    Aeffect dropper w/ Lev Lefty remote
    Aeffect cranks and BB
    RF SixC carbon bars

    Damn close to how I was going to build up that other frame for nearly a full grand less than I had estimated that was going to cost me. The Topaz just came back from DVO after a full overall and retune to match the frame. Stoked on that. Cyborg won't like the rims, but honestly I can't find much other negative feedback about the E13 rims. Those DT350 hubs will apparently live forever, so I'll just ride the shit out them and replace the rims with something better when/if I kill them. He's also throwing in a 2018 RS Deluxe 230x65. I don't really need that, so I'm thinking I'll sell it and recoup $150 or so off the purchase price.

    No Ribbon Coil does throw a bit of wrench into my 2-in-1 plan, but I'll happily dry my tears with the extra $1k in my bank account. The thought did cross my mind to throw the Pike up on pinkbike and get $400 or so for it, which would cover most of the cost the the Ribbon through my buddy. Going to ride it some before I do that, though.

    Time for a winter desert road trip....
    That's a solid build. The DT hubs make those wheels a lot better. If you're on a small and not too heavy, you probably won't have an issue. Run some Huck Norris if the wall thickness scares your. For $2700, you have plenty of wiggle room if you have to re-lace a wheel. In your situation I woulda totally bought that.

    One piece of advice - if you know what you're doing, go through the pivots, especially the one with the pinch bolt. If you're a little unsure, take it to the best mechanic you know. It's worth $80 and a six pack to make sure those things are dialed.

    Enjoy the bike! The Shred Dogg is a fun design!

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central VT
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    GG makes decent bikes and they're a solid group of guys and a solid company. I came here to say stay the fuck away from e13, though. Do a survey of mechanics and see what they think... I'd be happy to provide countless horror stories and back them up with photos of e13 parts torn down so you can see just how poor the quality is. Don't waste your money when there are far better options out there.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Interesting you mentioned this. I've got 3 riding buddies who spend good money on e13 cassettes and each one of they claimed the cogs wore out and began slipping the chain in a few hundred miles.

    Meanwhile, my $89 GX cassette is about it hit its 2000 mile mark.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    That's a solid build. The DT hubs make those wheels a lot better. If you're on a small and not too heavy, you probably won't have an issue.
    Cool. At 160 lbs I'm heavy for someone 5-6, but not heavy in any absolute sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Enjoy the bike! The Shred Dogg is a fun design!
    Definitely a bit giddy to step up to modern geo.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    7,025

    Guerilla Gravity- now Carbon made in USA- 300% stronger, cheaper

    Nice friggin build!

    Pike maybe not as plush as Ribbon and less ramp control but if you are on a small frame, maybe youíre not so heavy so the performance differences could be small while the front end weight savings might offset things for you. In comparison to your current bike this will all be amazing anyways! Iím really light at 135 lbs before gear, perfectly happy with my pre-Debonair Pike, but then again your kid rips way harder than me

    Pike air spring to change travel length is only $40 new, $20 used. Do you have tools to change fork internals? I think itís just a 30mm socket, some snap ring pliers, a bucket to catch oil, maybe some other things.

    I assume the Pike is fixed travel, not a DPA?
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    1,213
    When has anyone regretted xt brakes? Iíve fallen for the hype, and then had to sell and return to xt or xtr. They just work.

    Looks like a sweet build Dan.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,936
    Meh. I got tired of sticky pistons and leaking levers on XT. The road disc brakes on wife's bike are Shimano and they give me constant problems. Even a singlespeed with XTR brakes from 2007 give me issues.

    Overrated IMO and the ice tech rotors are way too expensive.

    All mtn bike brakes kinda suck. Everything optimized for weight and size. Seals are too small etc. My motorcycle brakes have zero issues. Sometimes overheat the rear. I've cooked rear mtn bike brakes on most of my bikes as well. Trans BC particularly. Slow me, don't stop me.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    When has anyone regretted xt brakes? Iíve fallen for the hype, and then had to sell and return to xt or xtr. They just work.
    Until they donít. I wouldnít toss a new set if they came on a bike, but Iíd replace them as soon as they started leaking or got the patented wandering bite point. I personally wouldnít buy a set.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Pike air spring to change travel length is only $40 new, $20 used. Do you have tools to change fork internals? I think it’s just a 30mm socket, some snap ring pliers, a bucket to catch oil, maybe some other things.

    I assume the Pike is fixed travel, not a DPA?
    Yeah, fixed travel. Since it maxes out at 160 (current setting) I doubt I'll bother messing with changing the travel. Performance-wise I'm sure the Pike will be fine. Unlikely to be quite as nice as the Ribbon, but plenty good. For this bike the big thing the Ribbon got me was the ability to change the travel anywhere from 150-170 (in 1mm increments) in 5 minutes.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Cool. At 160 lbs I'm heavy for someone 5-6, but not heavy in any absolute sense.



    Definitely a bit giddy to step up to modern geo.
    It also depends on how you're riding. If you're not hucking or plowing through stuff, you're gonna be fine. If you're hard on parts and break a lot of stuff, just be prepared to replace that rear rim and you won't be bummed when it happens.

    Modern geo is quite awesome, for every rider. You're gonna be stoked.


    One more piece of advice - I noticed some other mags talking about the Pike not being as plush. If you want to get a TON of bang for your buck, get a Vorsprung luftkappe done on the fork next time you need your seals done. I would say it's more beneficial to most riders than installing an MRP ramp control cartridge (which are amazing in their own right.) There's some other tuning options that can be done as well, and they are certainly worth it. If any of that peaks your interest, send me a PM if you want more info. Personally, I think custom tuning suspension makes a way bigger difference than most parts upgrades, once you're on a quality, modern bike with solid components. That and keeping everything dialed (bearing fresh, drivetrain is clean and not worn, brake calipers are clean and pistons lubed, etc)

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Until they donít. I wouldnít toss a new set if they came on a bike, but Iíd replace them as soon as they started leaking or got the patented wandering bite point. I personally wouldnít buy a set.
    Why wouldn't you buy a set? There's been very occasional issues, but nothing compared to the warranty nightmares of Guides, Maguras warranty issues and so forth. I'd buy TRP before XTs, but you really can't go wrong with any of the Shimano brakes. In my experience, the deore brakes are more reliable and feel better than every sram brake except Codes. With the new dual piston Shimanos, the power is upped substantially as well. Don't get me wrong, they're nothing special, but they work, work well, bleed easily, and almost never have issues (except for the occasional master cylinder problem on 2015-2017s... And it's very occasional.) That's more than most brakes can claim.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,712
    ^^this. You can get 4piston zee calipers to add on to any shimano 2 piston brakes for dirt cheap. $75 cad at crc. We have a lot of long steeps around here and the 4 piston over the 2 pistons make all the difference(shimano). Likewise for codes over guides. I like the feel of guides until itís long and steep then Iím adding fingers to slow

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    One more piece of advice - I noticed some other mags talking about the Pike not being as plush. If you want to get a TON of bang for your buck, get a Vorsprung luftkappe done on the fork next time you need your seals done. I would say it's more beneficial to most riders than installing an MRP ramp control cartridge (which are amazing in their own right.) There's some other tuning options that can be done as well, and they are certainly worth it. If any of that peaks your interest, send me a PM if you want more info. Personally, I think custom tuning suspension makes a way bigger difference than most parts upgrades, once you're on a quality, modern bike with solid components. That and keeping everything dialed (bearing fresh, drivetrain is clean and not worn, brake calipers are clean and pistons lubed, etc)
    A while back someone here suggested that the switch to the Debonair spring had made the Luftkappe sort of irrelevant for SRAM stuff, but I'll keep that in mind. Ramp control cartridge may end up being needed. The hydraulic bottom-out control on my Mattoc has proved useful several times in oversend situations at I Street.

    If I'm feeling underwhelmed by the Pike I'll just take it down to Dustin at Go Ride and have him work his magic. That guy has forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever know. He's a wizard.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    5,516
    Nice Dan!

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    8,218
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Nice Dan!
    This. That's a nice score. Don't worry too much about the Megatrail swap, just enjoy the Shred for a while. You'll be surprised how capable it is even with the shorter travel. Don't be afraid to play with the shock bolts. Plaid mode has to be experienced to be appreciated.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A while back someone here suggested that the switch to the Debonair spring had made the Luftkappe sort of irrelevant for SRAM stuff, but I'll keep that in mind. Ramp control cartridge may end up being needed. The hydraulic bottom-out control on my Mattoc has proved useful several times in oversend situations at I Street.

    If I'm feeling underwhelmed by the Pike I'll just take it down to Dustin at Go Ride and have him work his magic. That guy has forgotten more about bikes than I'll ever know. He's a wizard.
    Vorsprung and its fans will argue that that the luftkappe is still better, and it may be but the debonair springs are quite a bit cheaper so if you do decide you want to switch up the travel, its a less expensive proposition. I put one of the debonair spring in my Pike RC and did notice a difference compared to the standard air spring, though it was not as night and day as some people would lead you to believe. But then again, I'm also not getting on great with the RC damper compared to the RCT3... either that or there is just some friction somewhere in my Pike that has not been remedied by oil/seal changes, lubing and the debonair spring. In any event, if the debonair isn't night and day compared to the standard air spring, I doubt the luftkappe would be night and day to the debonair spring.

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,712

    Guerilla Gravity- now Carbon made in USA- 300% stronger, cheaper

    DVO Diamond boost is easily internally adjustable in 10mm increments with just spacers from 140-170mm travel. OTT(off the top) is essentially an adjustable luftkappe/negative spring. You can make the fork feel like an xc fork or close to coil like with the OTT with an external 5mm Allen key bolt. Fork now has volume reducers similar to Rock Shox tokens. Mine has been super dependable. Doesnít need much maintenance. Great price. Lots of video tutorials from dvoís yt channel. I had a pre debonair lyric along side my diamond. Both great forks but the Dvo with ott was much more supple initially. Great in stutter bumps and didnít get hung up on roots quite as ez while climbing. Lyric was a really good fork but the difference was noticeable. I imagine the debonair fixes that discrepancy. Still itís not adjustable like OTT. Diamond also has the high/low speed compression. I use the quick low speed compression dial for extended logging road climbs. I think Iíll stick with them. I want an onyx now
    I picked up my non boost diamond used from someone at transition bikes. I guess they probably had it a year and Iíve had it 3. I do an annual clean and change the oil. Still has original bushings and seals. I think Iíll change the seals this time for a good refresh and not tempt fate. Canít ask for anything more from it

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,882
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Interested.

    Pics?
    I'll dig them out and take some pics in the next couple days.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
    Curious, what problems did you have with your ribbon? Did the you have the negative leak on you or just find it finnicky to set up? It's definitely not as stout as a 36 but it's 100 grams lighter. More comparable to a Pike.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I don't have it but a good friend who I ride with a lot does. It seems like air transfers between the negative and positive springs randomly. Sometimes his fork feels plush, sometimes it gets stuck down a bit from the top, sometimes it feels harsh. He says it seems like it's really affected by temp and/or altitude changes.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,882
    Congrats on the new whip Dan, sick deal!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,462
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    This. That's a nice score. Don't worry too much about the Megatrail swap, just enjoy the Shred for a while. You'll be surprised how capable it is even with the shorter travel. Don't be afraid to play with the shock bolts. Plaid mode has to be experienced to be appreciated.
    Ohboyohboyohboy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •