Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone know what this is? (recliner part?)

This piece of metal fell out of the bottom of a recliner at our house today. Not sure if it's a recliner part or was just something else that someone dropped on the chair.

It's heavy, solid metal, cylindrical with one domed end, with a hole through the center. Looking under the recliner, I can't see any other part that looks like it.

Anyone know? Pics attached, next to measuring tape showing size in inches.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Acme FJ100 Butt Plug?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

It’s the lug nut. Fixed it.
    Name:  IMG_1867.JPG
Views: 492
Size:  87.6 KB

Ima guess that if it’s a part of the recliner it has a twin buried up inside it’s guts. I just tried to fix a balky footrest on my recliner and found that the arms (some truly Rube Goldberg sort of shit) use all kinds of weird fasteners.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    Ima guess that if it’s a part of the recliner it has a twin buried up inside it’s guts. I just tried to fix a balky footrest on my recliner and found that the arms (some truly Rube Goldberg sort of shit) use all kinds of weird fasteners.
    That's my guess too, but I couldn't find a counterpart looking up inside it.

I'm going to stop by the Lazy Boy store with the part and see what they say. Google says that the reclining mechanical bits have a lifetime warranty - will have to dig around and see if I can find the receipt.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Acme FJ100 Butt Plug?
    IIRC those were recalled as the insertion tool was faulty. The OP is a lucky man.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Threaded on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Threaded on the inside?
    No, smooth hole, same diameter through (no taper).

It looks like it should be a roller of some kind, held in place by a bolt or on a stud.

Looks like a bushing from a flux capacitor
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

ball bearings

The chair still work?

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    The chair still work?
    Pretty key question.

Yeah if the chair still works I'd toss that thing in the junk drawer to never be seen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    The chair still work?
    Not sure. The metal thingamajig fell out with a thunk when de-reclining (putting chair back up to upright position). Decided not to re-recline it before examining it more closely.

I'm going to stop by the Lazy Boy store today with the part, and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Not sure. The metal thingamajig fell out with a thunk when de-reclining (putting chair back up to upright position). Decided not to re-recline it before examining it more closely.

I'm going to stop by the Lazy Boy store today with the part, and see what they say.
    Better safe than sorry, you don't want to be a statistic.

It's a muffler bearing. I'm surprised it's not chromed.

Also surprised it was in your recliner...

Be interested to know what sort of reception you get. I’ve never thought about going to the parts department at a furniture store. But there’s a weird ass bolt on my Lazy boy that broke and the hardware store replacement ain’t cutting it.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Bonus parts. I knew a guy who was an engineer for a auto mfgr. Those were the extra screws and stuff that fell under the carpets or behind panels on the assembly line.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Oh yeah that there is a doohickey, it goes on the thingamabobber.

If there are no threads, I'd suspect a collar that goes as you state over a shaft. If there is no other matching one anywhere on the other side that you can find, I'd check the handle or lever mechanism that you use to raise or lower. Has to be a metal bar or something that is causing the scoring around probably what is the bottom third of it. As to what held it on, C clip or some sort of pin or something you would think or else it will continue to come off with use...

I'm constantly finding hardware on the floor that comes from nowhere i can figure out. So far life goes on as before but one of these days it probably won't.

thats your brain on drugs
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If there are no threads, I'd suspect a collar that goes as you state over a shaft. If there is no other matching one anywhere on the other side that you can find, I'd check the handle or lever mechanism that you use to raise or lower. Has to be a metal bar or something that is causing the scoring around probably what is the bottom third of it. As to what held it on, C clip or some sort of pin or something you would think or else it will continue to come off with use...
    Forgot to mention: there is no lever or handle to trigger the reclining mechanism on this chair. You just push on the arms to extend the footrest (or pull, to un-recline).

Forgot to mention: there is no lever or handle to trigger the reclining mechanism on this chair. You just push on the arms to extend the footrest (or pull, to un-recline).
    That changes everything!

Yer gonna die.

Then it could be a hollow bullet.... or it is from the mechanism of the chair and there is a second one on the other side matching it.