Vic Ruggiero / The Slackers

So the other week a co-worker asked if I wanted to go check out her cousin performing at this bar/club in Reno. I asked her what kind of music it was and she replied "ska/punk/reggae/indie rock". She added that we'd get guest listed. I said "sure."
    Then I Goggled her cousin and found out that he was the lead singer of The Slackers, this NYC based reggae/ska/funk-punk outfit of which I incidently own a few of their CDs.

I'd been to the venue about a year ago, so was familiar with the logistics (it's a small, square, concrete "hall" with an attached bar/poolroom in the back). Turns out the show was held in the bar, which was much more intimate than the actual live music venue.

The show was solid. Vic and a singer/songwriter named Lauren Napier did 2 sets each, playing from roughly 9pm until 12.

The apex of the show was when Vic busted out this easily 10-plus-minute whimsical jam called "Animals" that was like a super-charged Jonathan Richman blast of ridiculousness. I was laughing and crying and stomping my feet in tandem the whole time.

If you get a chance to see him either solo or with The Slackers, I'd highly recommend it.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

The Slackers are absolutely incredible. By far and away my favorite ska/rocksteady/reggae band. The Aggrolites are pretty damn good too.

Yours is the first story I've ever heard that found out about The Slackers from a Vic solo set. Everyone else usually goes in the other direction. Regardless, welcome to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    The Slackers are absolutely incredible. By far and away my favorite ska/rocksteady/reggae band. The Aggrolites are pretty damn good too.

Yours is the first story I've ever heard that found out about The Slackers from a Vic solo set. Everyone else usually goes in the other direction. Regardless, welcome to the party.
    I mean I was somewhat familiar with The Slackers prior to this show, but didn't really know anything about where they came from/who was in the band.

I have one of their albums that was sent to me back when I was a music critic.

I have a number of Aggrolite albums. Regret not seeing them the few times they swung through Reno over the past 10 years. Also regret not purchasing the Vic Ruggiero/Aggrolites album he had for sale last night (he was immersed in conversation with folks post-gig and it was hella late, so I bailed without snagging the album).

His cousin is trying to get the whole band to play Tahoe...hope that pans out.

FWIW, Vic reminded me of a rougher, tumblier Jonathan Richman...

Also, his patter between songs was classic. He rambled about niacin addiction, Lil Pump raps, and Ray Bradbury (among other things).

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    familiar with The Slackers
    You need to see them live. I think I've seen them four or five times now. Always great. Easily one of the top 3 shows I've ever been to. But, I've mostly been to punk shows, so take that ranking as you will.
    Aggrolite albums. Regret not seeing them
    I really really like the Aggrolites, especially the first two albums. I've never seen them either; they're one of the last bands I really have any interest in catching live.
    Vic Ruggiero/Aggrolites album
    I didn't even know this existed! I gotta get a copy somehow. Thanks for the heads up.
    the whole band to play Tahoe
    Hmm. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to go skiing in Tahoe again.
    Jonathan Richman...niacin addiction, Lil Pump raps, and Ray Bradbury
    Ha! I'd never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right. I've never seen his solo set, I'm not sure he takes that show around the country too often.

Yeah, he's definitely an interesting person, I think. He's one of those performers that I get the sense doesn't have much of a stage persona. I mean I kinda think he'd be exactly the same person whether you were smoking out with him on his couch or watching him on stage.

I always get a kick out the impressions he'll do during some of the songs; as in he'll part of the chorus like Dylan or Waits or the B52s or something.