Driving Aspen to SLC in blizzard at night - insane?

The son of a friend proposes to do just that this weekend: drive from Aspen after skiing all day to SLC. This which would be mostly at night in the middle of projected storm. In my youthful testosterone-poisoned days that might have made sense but I think it's nuts. At least start in the morning or mid-day. Doubtless many here have done stuff like this and lived, but that doesn't make it a good plan. What's the collective wisdom here?
    Last edited by raueda1; 01-31-2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: clarity

i've done Summit county to SLC at night in a blizzard, one of the more memorable drives of my life. 1984. My buddy driving, me with my head out the window trying to find the edge of the road. Tell him to go for it.

The weather will have passed by then, so it really shouldn't be that much of a problem. Might be some leftovers on the road around Soldier Summit, but I really wouldn't worry that much.

Easier than driving to Denver.

You'll have a story that will last a lifetime. Priceless.
    Or it won't be quite a bad storm, you'll drink too much coffee and say "Why did we fucking do that?" and try to forget the whole thing.
    Either way, the best snow will be after you leave.

You should be fine, just leave the boat at home.
    The Sheriff is near!

Does he have snow tires?

I’d rather drive in the snow when dark than in traffic or around more cars during the light.

What’s so scary about the dark?

Where is the blizzard? Most of that drive is across desert. Your choke points are traffic in SLC, snow on Soldier Pass, and the stretch from Glenwood to Aspen. The rest is gravy.

I remember driving my moms 1975 caddy coup de Ville. It was fire engine red with a white leather interior, big motor and rear wheel drive. And of course no snow tires. My friend and I we’re 16 and I drove from NYC to MRG in a blizzard. We had a pipe with a suction cup that I attached to the glass clock on the dash and we were off to ski the single chair no matter what. The point is even though we know better now as adults those adventures will live with you forever. Old school baby if it’s snowing where going!

Do it on edibles.

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    I remember driving my moms 1975 caddy coup de Ville. It was fire engine red with a white leather interior, big motor and rear wheel drive. And of course no snow tires. My friend and I we’re 16 and I drove from NYC to MRG in a blizzard. We had a pipe with a suction cup that I attached to the glass clock on the dash and we were off to ski the single chair no matter what. The point is even though we know better now as adults those adventures will live with you forever. Old school baby if it’s snowing where going!
    Fire Engine Red
    Thaaat thaaaang was haaaawwwwt

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Just tell em to bring sleeping bags/space blankets, hand warmers in case heat craps out or they need to spend night. Learned 2 weeks ago that hand warmers double as excellent windshield defrosters in a pinch. One drives, the other is a human defroster

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Do it on boomers.
    FIFY

Leave early enough so you’re not hitting the morning commute going north into SLC after that long drive. Nothing worse than feeling like you’re there then having to fight traffic for an hour to get that last 10 miles.

All wheel drive with studded tires, drive anywhere, anytime.
    Sack up snowflake

Driving Aspen to SLC in blizzard at night - insane?

JHC, your “son of a friend” is a pussy.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    All wheel drive with studded tires, drive anywhere, anytime.
    Sack up snowflake
    This is like a new sport in Vermont right now. Mondo trucks outfitted with enough lights to wake the dead passing at 60 mph in highly questionable conditions.

Should be fine. I’ve done that same drive nearly 50 times, blizzard and no blizzard.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    As other have said, west of the divide to SLC is pretty easy really. Even if it's dumping up high much of that drive is in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    JHC, your “son of a friend” is a pussy.
    no, the son of a friend is fine, it's the OP that's a pussy.

I once tried to drive to Aspen from Durango in a blizzard. Which would include Coal Bank, Molas, red Mountain, and McClure Passes. I got turned around at the top of Coal Bank when they decided to shut the highway down. If he has a good car with good tires he should be fine.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Where is the blizzard? Most of that drive is across desert. Your choke points are traffic in SLC, snow on Soldier Pass, and the stretch from Glenwood to Aspen. The rest is gravy.
    this... it's really not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    uber
    Definitely this if they're under 16.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

tell them to stick with the sativas