Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WTB: SKIS!!! Ski Patroller needs help with a quiver

Sorry for the vagueness but this is pretty exciting for me and I'm looking for help. The backstory; snowboard patroller who finally made the jump to ski's and I love it so now I'm searching for skis. Tired of using all my fellow patrollers skis and need to finally get my own.

So far my desires are:

A ski for patrolling, something around 160-175cm length and nothing too wide underfoot, I'm guessing nothing bigger than 90ish. I've heard from fellow patrollers something like a rossi experience would be a good suit for this but my inexperience makes me wonder what else is out there.

A ski for fun, size can be a bit bigger, wider tip and tale too, maybe even twin/semi twin tip with a rocker or rocker/camber. Not to sure about this type of ski but something that could carve well, handle light pow well, handle chatter, and just be fun to mess around in. Surprise me

Open to any other recommendations from any fellow patrollers as well.

Thanks for your time and once again sorry for the vagueness just hoping to get some hits with!

Let me know if you need any more information

Southern California, are you asking for a specific mountain or reason?

Perhaps throw out your size; height & weight
    There’s a pair of experience in gear swap I think.

The snow and terrain you're on would tend to dictate what ski makes the most sense.

I heard size and weight didn't matter to much, I ride a 165 Salomon shaped with a pretty narrow underfoot that a friend lets me borrow for daily patrolling, but im not sure of full specs.

BSL is 296
    5' 9.5"
    165lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The snow and terrain you're on [and ability] would tend to dictate what ski makes the most sense.
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Patrol_23 View Post
    I heard size and weight didn't matter to much
    That's pretty much all your skis really care about you. Yeah it matters, a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The snow and terrain you're on would tend to dictate what ski makes the most sense.
    Southern California varies and being on the mountain every day varies, so I'd say mainly firm snow after the groomers are washed out, some icy conditions occasionally, but we do get powderish days, and have ungroomed runs to go on as well. Later seasons coming so slush and all the snowboarders create all kinds of chatter throughout the runs so there's that too. Literally getting a foot of snow as we speak so it varies haha.

What hill?

How long have you been on skis? Ability level?
    I don’t patrol so I’m probably talking out my ass, but have buddies who still patrol or have in the past and they all seemed to be on something easy to ski, 90-106 under foot, shorter than their free time ski.
    The Rossi experience is a solid suggestion. Maybe a short Soul7.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What hill?
    Pretty new to this site so I rather not give out too much information as of yet cause there's only 3 real mountains in my area and I already mentioned I'm a patroller so there's a strong chance someone here could find me. I feel like I narrowed down the snow conditions enough tho considering southern california should be a dead give away

176cm Soul 7vz
    Uno mas

I heard size and weight didn't matter to much, I ride a 165 Salomon shaped with a pretty narrow underfoot that a friend lets me borrow for daily patrolling, but im not sure of full specs.

BSL is 296
    5' 9.5"
    165lbs
    I used to board. 164w
    Now ski upper 180s
    Your a mid 170s skier if I were to guess

Well I would suggest some Volkl Explosivs in 190.

If you are at a real mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    How long have you been on skis? Ability level?
    You essentially have to be advance to expert to patrol where I work cause the conditions and the need to be able to maneuver a loaded toboggan on pretty steep icy terrain. I would say I lie in between advance and expert and I'm ambitious to learn different types of skiing on the various skis out there.

I'm pretty athletic but obviously skiing comes with SOOOO much to learn so I'm definitely NOT rolling up to Jerry's boasting I'm the best skier on the mountain quite yet

What are the other ‘trollers skiing on while working? I would mimic that, under foot width, then look for skis in that width that you might like.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    176cm Soul 7vz
    I would be interested in skis like these, a lot of fellow patrollers roll with them and seek them out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    What are the other ‘trollers skiing on while working? I would mimic that, under foot width, then look for skis in that width that you might like.
    Rossi Experiences around 165-180 with around 70-90 underfoot is what a couple patrollers I work with run, others ride way different skis that look more fun but little less suited for patrolling but which is why I want more than one ski. Examples would be Line, K2, Black Crows, Factions and Volkls that are all twin tipped with wider bases.

Which is why my original post was so vague haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Well I would suggest some Volkl Explosivs in 190.

If you are at a real mountain.
    Define real mountain, and these skis look like a blast.

My patrol ski in the Midwest is a Nordica Enforcer 100. Wider than I need for patrolling here most days, but a great Swiss Army ski that's good in lots of different conditions and easy to make turns of varying sizes. They come in a 177 or 169 in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    advanced to expert for sure x3 on the soul7
    I'll go with this advice, seeking out a soul7 now.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    what happens if someone finds you? is your name Waldo?
    It's a secret, and it's a secret.

Southern California varies and being on the mountain every day varies, so I'd say mainly firm snow after the groomers are washed out, some icy conditions occasionally, but we do get powderish days, and have ungroomed runs to go on as well. Later seasons coming so slush and all the snowboarders create all kinds of chatter throughout the runs so there's that too. Literally getting a foot of snow as we speak so it varies haha.
    I wanted to help you and then you posted this. It’s either hard pack ice, corn, or slush. Maybe a little soft stuff from the snowmaking.

You are needed though. Someone needs to take the puffy Raider jacket clad helmet less snowboarders off the hill in a sled who just rang their bell hitting the rad jumps at Mt. High During a sick night session any day of the week.

Get an Enforcer 93 on pro form and call it good. You don’t need anything wider than that, Lebron.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I wanted to help you and then you posted this. It’s either hard pack ice, corn, or slush. Maybe a little soft stuff from the snowmaking.

You are needed though. Someone needs to take the puffy Raider jacket clad helmet less snowboarders off the hill in a sled who just rang their bell hitting the rad jumps at Mt. High During a sick night session any day of the week.

Get an Enforcer 93 on pro form and call it good. You don’t need anything wider than that, Lebron.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Thanks for your suggestion I'll take it into account, still going to seek out multiple skis for multiple conditions as I ski at various places and want to experience all that the sport has to offer

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ester-and-more
    These fischers would probably be a fine work ski, dunno about a plate binding, but you should probably learn to tele anyway, its the best option for route.

Blizzard Brahma

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums