Question abt Driving to Kirkwood from Bay Area

Hi

planning to drive to Kirkwood this Sunday or early Monday morning from the bay area. Supposed to be snowing both days. What should I expect in terms of 88 closure . Is there a threshold (ex: 6" on the valley floor??) above which they will close 88. How long does it take to open. I know it will vary but I am just looking for some approximations. Any suggestions
    on which day (sunday or Monday early AM) might be better? FYI - I do have a Subaru.

Thanks in advance
    Marty

I've only started driving 88 to kirkwood this season so I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable about the drive and pass operations but here's my experience.

I've successfully driven there and back on storm days via carson spur several times. I've also read that the spur was open, only to drive up and find it had just closed. For the entire day. On a clear day after a storm too.

It seems carson spur is a crapshoot if it is snowing or has just snowed, so I wouldn't bother with it this weekend. Going up 50 and entering kirkwood from carson pass may work fine. Carson pass can close too, though typically not as often as the spur.

Not really sure which day would be better, I'd guess Sunday morning would be the best time.

But I don't have a Subaru, so maybe none of this applies.

I can't directly answer your question--haven't skied Kirkwood in years--but the general principle of powder skiing applies: if you want to ski powder you have to be willing to get skunked from time to time--road closed, lifts closed, storm evaporates, that kind of thing. If you only ski when it's a sure thing you'll miss a lot of good days and when you do ski you'll spend a lot of time in lift lines while the mountain gets tracked out.

From my experience 88 is the first highway to close, before 50 or 80. I would watch the weather closely but unless this storm under delivers I would drive 50 and then go 88. Hopefully they don’t close 88 from both directions.

Marty Pow,

Short answer: Nobody knows.

There is not any defined threshold. How would they measure that. Vail can't even get their snow stake to operate properly.

So many factors. How much snow, how does it set up, layers the snow, wind, how quickly is snows....

Are you planning a day trip? Up and back in the same day. You'll want to plan on a very long drive. Not only will it be snowing in the mountains, but raining in the valley and bay. Spur will likely close. Sometimes they get it open to get people out Sunday afternoon, but not always. The way this storm looks now, it might close before then and not reopen until Tuesday. Or Wednesday.

Caltrans puts almost all their effort in keeping the Pass open. That is where the hospital is. So once the storm is going, they will often ignore the Spur. And these crews need to eat, sleep, shit. So they take breaks.

I used to keep discount vouchers in my car for SAT, so if KW was not a go, then I had a back up plan.

Also, KW might not see chair 6 open this weekend, based on wind forecasts. If that is the case, Monday would be a much better option.

Watch the forecast, watch the roads. Plan for along day if you go. Don't bother if the winds at the top of 6 are gusting to 100mph at 3am. Or have access to some place else.

Why not Tuesday?

...and carry chains, even if you have 4x4 or AWD. Caltrans has been know to check. They don't necessarily need to fit, but they could check that you have chains/cables with you.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

But..... it does make sense to have chains that fit. Even AWD get stuck on double fall line ice.

Thanks Guys. Really Useful.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ...and carry chains, even if you have 4x4 or AWD. Caltrans has been know to check. They don't necessarily need to fit, but they could check that you have chains/cables with you.
    Interestingly enough, the only time I've heard of CalTrans checking for 4WD or AWD is on 395. And maybe the Grapevine. I wonder why that is.

NPS is apparently militant about it in the parks.

FWIW, I carry chains (that fit) in my 4Runner. But not for the highway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.