Sunburst Hill - Kewaskum WI - Jan 27th 2019

Went to Sunburst to ski some park. The kickers were nice and poppy. Snow was great for what we get out here in the Midwest. Mainly chopped up powder and crud, but some had been groomed as well. The cold had just moved in (think it was below 0). Hill was pretty much deserted/empty. 1-3 people in the park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunburst - Copy.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	267229

Looks like about 3 turns worth of fun, LOL.

Nice, love me some good old Midwest ski stoke. I grew up in Appleton, but did most of my skiing at Nordic (Mt. Morris) Wisconsin, Mt. Lacrosse (UW-L student/skier), just about everywhere in da UP you can ski and a few other places around there.

The kind of people that grow up skiing these places move onto become rippers at much bigger mountains.

No rib mountain?

^^^ Nope, never skied Rib or whatever they're calling it now. Funny because my parents grew up in Merrill, so I was in very close proximity to it most of my childhood, but usually when we went to Merrill I'd be at my grandparents house or bird/deer hunting and fishing at the Willow Flowage.

Gotta give a shout out to some of the best beer in Wisconsin IMHO, Sawmill Brewing.

Wunderberg!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Wunderberg!
    Did you ski there back in the day? I heard rumors at one point in time that there was a halfpipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post

Nice, love me some good old Midwest ski stoke. I grew up in Appleton, but did most of my skiing at Nordic (Mt. Morris) Wisconsin, Mt. Lacrosse (UW-L student/skier), just about everywhere in da UP you can ski and a few other places around there.

The kind of people that grow up skiing these places move onto become rippers at much bigger mountains.

Nice. How's Damnation at Lacrosse BTW? Heard its FIS certified or something.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    No rib mountain?
    “Granite Peak” is pretty worthy for a small town small resort. I was grinning all day last season when they had 18” of new.

I am off to see Mt Bohemia mid February and hope to see what all the talk is about.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Sunburst Hill - Kewaskum WI - Jan 27th 2019

Haven’t thought about that place in many decades. One of my childhood hills. I consumed copious amounts of cheese fries, raced on ice and smoked way too many joints of bad weed at Sunburst. Good spot.

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    Nice. How's Damnation at Lacrosse BTW? Heard its FIS certified or something.
    Claims to be the steepest run east of the Mississippi River, but just east. Just saw it was open after this last storm.

Go Mt. Lacrosse! Many nights spent there riding the lifts for free, just a pack of day tickets hanging and no one checked back then.

Was there a halfpipe at Sunburst/Wunderberg back in the day?

Sunburst was one of the local hills we'd ski, along with Little Switzerland and Wilmot, in the late 70s. Iceman would've been stoked to see the huDge number of skiers wearing denim back then.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post

Nordic is a blast, I've only been there 3(?) times, but the place is mom-and-pop all the way. Lots of parents with kids, quite a few tele wackers and the usual suspects. I once watched a lift ticket employee yell through the building to someone (another employee?) that a guy, that everyone there knew (Joe?), was trying to ski without paying for a ticket, again. There was a manhunt for Joe after all that.

Went to Sunburst to ski some park. The kickers were nice and poppy. Snow was great for what we get out here in the Midwest. Mainly chopped up powder and crud, but some had been groomed as well. The cold had just moved in (think it was below 0). Hill was pretty much deserted/empty. 1-3 people in the park.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunburst - Copy.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	267229
    a TR from Sunburst in Kewaskum...

Plake may have been right - the soul of skiing may be in ( minnesota or ) Wisconsin (!)

still From Wisconsin (almost sixty years later) …

Thanks (!) for the chuckle... tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    a TR from Sunburst in Kewaskum...

Plake may have been right - the soul of skiing may be in ( minnesota or ) Wisconsin (!)

still From Wisconsin (almost sixty years later) …

Thanks (!) for the chuckle... tj
    Haha. Nice. Too bad the lift tickets these days are so $$$ for a day pass. You have to buy a pass at the beginning of the season, otherwise near $50 WI lift tickets here we go!

Haha. Nice. Too bad the lift tickets these days are so $$$ for a day pass. You have to buy a pass at the beginning of the season, otherwise near $50 WI lift tickets here we go!
    hang in there, young gun --

I think Bridger was 60. last March ( but if you want to hit BigSky, plead for a hook-up )

plan a road trip to The promised land
    ( it is a long way across ND and eastern montana ( I think RedLodge was 42. ( but make sure they have snow ) ) )

. . . Air it Out.

old tj

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    hang in there, young gun --

I think Bridger was 60. last March ( but if you want to hit BigSky, plead for a hook-up )

plan a road trip to The promised land
    ( it is a long way across ND and eastern montana ( I think RedLodge was 42. ( but make sure they have snow ) ) )

. . . Air it Out.

old tj
    Cool. I want to make a West trip pretty soon, but I am enjoying the Sunburst season pass here for now!

Did you ski there back in the day? I heard rumors at one point in time that there was a halfpipe.
    yup, late 60s early 70s. we only had pipes, no half pipes
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Haha. Love hearing some old spots. As a FIB I grew up riding(once they opened to us knuckledraggers) alpine valley, devils head, tyrol, and wilmot. There was also a tiny "hill" with a rope tow called raging buffalo that had a half pipe, tabletops etc.(also plenty of full pipes in the clubhouse

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Haha. Love hearing some old spots. As a FIB I grew up riding(once they opened to us knuckledraggers) alpine valley, devils head, tyrol, and wilmot. There was also a tiny "hill" with a rope tow called raging buffalo that had a half pipe, tabletops etc.(also plenty of full pipes in the clubhouse
    Tyrol had a pipe that wouldn't let skiers in it, you might have been there? Then they covered it with hay and tarps in the spring and had a contest in May, it was cool.

And I skied in jeans until I was 15-16 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    I am off to see Mt Bohemia mid February and hope to see what all the talk is about.
    The first time to Bohemia is kind of a mindfuck that there's actually a hill like this in the midwest. Sure it's still only really about 800 ft of vert but there's a lot of steep shots there.

Oh man, try $83 at Granite Peak! and a season pass there is $1,000+. I think it's the best skiing in WI, but come on...I think the second most expensive ticket is Ski Brule In da UP) at $63. Much more worth it.

Anyway, it's nice to see other midwest crud busters in here. I've had an account for a few years, but don't remember posting anything! I am in Door County, and there's a group trying the get skiing back in Potawatomi State Park, so maybe I will finally have something closer than 2 hours.

Ha! Well played sir!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

What a pun...