Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anyone riding black crows Atris?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    boo fucking hoo.
    NO, YOU MUST BE AFFECTED!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by margotron; 02-03-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Is the Atris changing besides color and graphics for 2020?
    No (per Julien on Insta Q&A).

Me - 6' 170, I've got 189 as my soft snow ski, but works fine everyday. I think 184 would be more ideal "everyday" for the snowfall/reality in Central CO. Atris is now dime-a-dozen here and has always seemed stiff/substantial enough for my weight and the lighter duty conditions we ski here.

Can we get a rocker profile pic of the 2018-19 ones? With the newest changes

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I can post one tomorrow when mine arrive

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post

18-19:

Name:  atris.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  14.3 KB

Did you see 2 micro cambers (~2 mm in front and back part of ski) on decambered ski or only my atris has it? (can't attach image)
    I saw this in snowboards, but I've never heard that it's also using in skies.

I haven't been on a ton of skis this width, but the Atris certainly has a healthy amount of early rise in the tips and tails.

Two skis I have been on a bunch Enforcer 100 and Atris: The Atris feels substantially shorter in a 184cm than the Enforcer does in a 185cm. At 5'11", 190lbs, I'm very happy on the Atris 184, and could even imagine using the 189's happily. On the Enforcer, I was always on the fence about 185cm vs 177cm. On clean groomers and in deeper snow, I appreciated the extra length, but in bumps and crummier snow, I thought the 185 length was a bit of a handful.

Finally got mine mounted up. Excited to get em out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	334881FB-435E-44B3-A484-A4D6D5E6D19C.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	268898
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4302440-2457-40C4-AD98-3F6D11EDA0D5.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	489.2 KB 
ID:	268897  

Those look great. Mine are a couple years older. What's the sidewall text for those?

fwiw; work at a heliski resort and the atris is a much loved ski in rental fleet. Just have a few pairs of 2014 models kickin' around and they're still going strong and are much in demand by the guides. Also, had a pair of older Noctas makin' the rounds a few years ago, also well received. One of our lead guides stepped from some older DPS Lotus 120's to the new Noctas and loves em.
    Master of mediocrity.

I’ve got some mounted with shifts. Mostly a resort ski with sidecountry laps and occasional full day tours. I’m an ex racer who generally likes to drive the tips. I’m beginning to appreciate the art of the slarve. Skiing the Atris with Dalbello Lupo 130c.

Overall these are the best “do everything” ski I have skied. They hold a decent edge on groomers. Ski bumps surprisingly well, and seem to float well in soft snow. Have not skied them in any deep snow yet.

The skis do have a speed limit, especially in chop. They like to be skied from the middle of the ski rather than the tips (though that could be the relatively relaxed forward lean of the Lupos). They are a finesse ski. Not a power ski. I love them in bumps and trees. I wish they had a little more horsepower when i want to open it up.

Where are people mounting their atris?

I liked the 2015 model at -1.5cm, but never tried it elsewhere. Wondering if I should go for recommended on my new ones given the apparent changes to the ski.

I have the 2018-2018 model. Not sure if it changed for this year. I’m mounted on the line. If you like to steer the ski from the middle, then the line is good. If you like to drive the tips, perhaps further back would be the way to go for you. I think -1 to -1.5 could be good, but I haven’t personally tried it, so YMMV.

If anyone is looking, selling some lightly used 184's here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...rows-Atris-184

So I remounted my 2018-19 184cm Atris’ 1.5 cm back from rec’d. I am transitioning them from a 50/50 resort ski with shifts to a dedicated touring ski with MTNs. -1.5 was the closest I could get to recommended and I didn’t want to move forward since I already felt the ski didn’t have enough tip.

I got out today in about 8-10 of dense but dry pnw snow. Skied about 5k vertical in both trees and open bowls. Overall -1.5 makes the ski feel much more directional (as expected). I felt like i had more tip to push against, which I like for my style. Can still throw the ski sideways to shut it down, but doesn’t feel as balanced. Overall I think i will like this mount point, but maybe not perfect. If you like the atris in 184 but want it a little more directional, I think -.5 to -1 would be ideal.

I think if you really feel like you want more tip, you may just want to get the 189cm version.

Skiing today on maestrale rs 2.0 in size 26 (297bsl). I’ll update my thoughts on the -1.5 mount point as I ski them in other conditions.

Interesting reflections, thanks for posting. I'm going forward to recommended on mine, fancy some more tail support (although 2019/20 definitely stiffer tails than the earlier model ~2016, if anyone interested).

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Interesting reflections, thanks for posting. I'm going forward to recommended on mine, fancy some more tail support (although 2019/20 definitely stiffer tails than the earlier model ~2016, if anyone interested).
    I found the 2019s had more tail support than I wanted. I occasionally felt like I would get bucked because I was skiing neutrally, would hit a bump wrong, get bucked forward from the stiff tails and not have enough tip to rebalance. I'm used to a forward stance with lots of tip support, so a lot of this probably comes down to skiing style, snow conditions, ski length, and boot geometry.

After another day of touring on the Atris at -1.5, I feel like it's farther back than I would like it, personally. We were mostly skiing tight/loose trees in dense boot top pow on top of a crust. I will say that the -1.5 position gives you a lot of tip float, and a nice platform to drive the tips. However, the ski does feel slightly unbalanced. They pivot OK, but they don't really slash or slarve. It's more of a braking pivot than a momentum-carrying pivot (if that makes any sense). It is more fun to let them run in GS turns than the recommended mount. In good, untracked snow, the more rearward mount may add some stability. The reason I feel they're less balanced is that tip deflection increases in variable or chopped up snow. It feels like the tips get pushed around more (longer tip = bigger lever) and tails are too short to counteract the forces on the tip.

A few thoughts:
    - If you want to enjoy the playfulness of the Atris, but want more stability at speed, sizing up (rather than moving the mount point back) is probably the way to go.
    - My boots have a fairly upright forward lean (I ski Maestrale RS 2.0 and Dalbello 130C). If you're skiing the Atris with a more aggressive forward lean, the rearward mount point may feel more natural
    - If I were mounting some fresh Atris 184s without having to worry about hole compatibility, I'd probably mount them at -.5 It's an open question as to whether that would even be noticeable from the recommended. If I can remount the toes and still keep the heels in the adjustment range, I may go forward with this option. I'll update further if I go this route.
    - If anyone has a pair of 18/19 or 19/20 184 Atris' they want to sell me cheap, let me know. I love this ski and I know I'll really love them when I find the perfect mount point for me.

I have never used black crows Atris before but my friend has one and he said it was perfect for him.