Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    At least I’m not a whiny bitch about a slight increase in the amount of people at a sleepy resort in the San Juans full of rich fucks. OMG! There’s more snowboarders! You guys sound like some dumb old white guy in an old Warren Miller film.
    my wife is a snowboarder, wtf are you ranting about

At least I’m not a whiny bitch about a slight increase in the amount of people at a sleepy resort in the San Juans full of rich fucks. OMG! There’s more snowboarders! You guys sound like some dumb old white guy in an old Warren Miller film.
    Take a chill pill. This thread is about how the passes are changing the flow and habits of the ski/snowboard public due to the Epic, IKON, Mountain Collective and other multi-resort passes.

It was surprising (being spoiled rotten in the San Juans, without a metro area within 4 hours away) that it sounded like CB was unusually overrun with people. More than what it sounded like the infrastructure was geared for as a 'destination' resort that's not an easy day trip from the front range.

If you have the ability to chase snow, the multi-resort passes are a great option. It is interesting to watch how the traditional 'flow' is evolving.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I ski 90% of the time at a mountain that does not have a multi-mountain pass. Many or most skiers are pass holders and feel a sense of stewardship of the place. Have some knowledge. Different from the day trippers, above the day trippers.

I took a few trips on my epic pass to Stowe to check it out. What the hell, it's included. I rode the lift and skied with longtime pass holders who were not happy with the influx of people. Like others have said, not so much the lines as the clueless people in them and on the access rd in a corolla with bald tires in a snowstorm. I heard it again and again. Not so bad to be new to the mountain, but to clog the lines because you are waiting for your buddy, buckle your snowboard at the bottom of the unloading ramp, and then sideslip heelside down the entire chute because you can't ride it, but then make sure your gopro was getting it.

The multimountain passes reduce the intimacy of a mountain. And I feel they diminish the experience. I really like when people just stick to one mountain and figure out how to make the best of it given that days conditions. As far as I am concerned, it's a better experience.

International destination resorts like Vail or Deer Valley are just totally off that map, totally different experience, and one that is not for people who are there to ski, and just ski. "Hardcore" SKIERS not 'winterland vacationers'. People who will sleep on a sofa or in their car to ski.

That's why I wanted to get out of Vail/Beaver Creek to ski CB or T-ride for the week I have to myself. It's just too expensive to get there and sleep there... so I guess I will stay near Vail. Hopefully I can find someone who let's me tag along backcountry (AIARE 1... PM me!)

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    So is mine...
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

At least I’m not a whiny bitch about a slight increase in the amount of people at a sleepy resort in the San Juans full of rich fucks. OMG! There’s more snowboarders! You guys sound like some dumb old white guy in an old Warren Miller film

Did he just call your wife an old white guy?

if you guys are into old white dudes that snowboard, that’s your deal. Whatever floats your boat. But stop with the whining about a 10% increase in snowboarders at your mountain on a holiday weekend. Maybe there was more people because you actually have snow this year.

<snip> But stop with the whining
    New to the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    This season, there is a noticeable increase in Epic pass wielding front rangers coming here to Telluride. It used to be that we were fairly "insulated" from the front-range-shit-show due to our remoteness and high prices. But sure enough, there are tons more crappy skiers and a HUGE increase in snowboarders around here this year.
    There goes the neighborhood... (so to speak)
    Makes me happy I skied Telluride when I did. That place was empty and there were still stashes of powder in several spots around the mountain, and especially on the peak hike. We had some sweet maggot deals to make it happen, but it felt worth the higher price point because we never waited in a line. Ever. It would suck if that changed and really dilute the quality of the resort.

The economics of skiing speak for themselves. If you answer yes to both questions, you know what is coming.

1. Do you believe in supply and demand?
    2. Do you believe that the earth is getting warmer?

The reality of skiing is that we are not building new resorts all the same while climate change is having a negative effect on skiing. What can resorts do other than try to maximize the dollar per visit, especially during peak times whether they are due to holidays or conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    The economics of skiing speak for themselves. If you answer yes to both questions, you know what is coming.

1. Do you believe in supply and demand?
    2. Do you believe that the earth is getting warmer?

The reality of skiing is that we are not building new resorts all the same while climate change is having a negative effect on skiing. What can resorts do other than try to maximize the dollar per visit, especially during peak times whether they are due to holidays or conditions.
    Yes, though in the near term, there is a huge portion of ski season that is unused: late April and May. So resorts have to figure out whether they can only imagine a business model where they invest in snowmaking infrasatructure to make sure they are open by Thanksgiving (or Christmas) or whether to market themselves (and work with USFS) to get customers up after March 31st.

Keystone is improving snowmaking.
    Breckenridge is looking to do stay open into May.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Yes, though in the near term, there is a huge portion of ski season that is unused: late April and May. So resorts have to figure out whether they can only imagine a business model where they invest in snowmaking infrasatructure to make sure they are open by Thanksgiving (or Christmas) or whether to market themselves (and work with USFS) to get customers up after March 31st.

Keystone used to always be the first open, but they eased off once the basin got snowmaking. They can easily open Peru to Schoolmarm in October if they wanted. Sure would be nice if these two stayed open through memorial day to cut down on the crowds at the basin.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Keystone used to always be the first open, but they eased off once the basin got snowmaking. They can easily open Peru to Schoolmarm in October if they wanted. Sure would be nice if these two stayed open through memorial day to cut down on the crowds at the basin.
    Yea they had backed off after Loveland and Abasin put in good systems as those have altitude advantage, but I thought Keystone did a great job of terrain management and opening by blowing open North Peak and upper mountain and basically opening both mountains at once. It helped segregate skills and had some extra terrain. Their mountain ops and patrol have been working very hard with good plans (they even resumed shutting off the night ski lights at 10PM instead of leaving them on 24 hours a day). Early season snow helped too, but with improved snowmaking, they want to compete with Loveland and Abasin. It's good to see their game going up, especially after watching A-Basin really kick some major ass in their terrain management and mtn ops over the last 6-7 years. It's a bigger challenge at Keystone because A-Basin keeps its good people while Keystone has had a history of its good people moving to other mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Makes me happy I skied Telluride when I did. That place was empty and there were still stashes of powder in several spots around the mountain, and especially on the peak hike. We had some sweet maggot deals to make it happen, but it felt worth the higher price point because we never waited in a line. Ever. It would suck if that changed and really dilute the quality of the resort.
    They're still there. You just need to sniff them out. Saturday of MLK weekend had the best snow I've seen in a couple years. We found freshies and good crud all day long. Mid week and there may be no one around.

Clearly, you 'get it'. That is a primary reason why I left the bumper to bumper front range scene for the mellow back road, mountain drives to ski 'in peace' in a great place. 4 hours of non-stops and you're cooked. Sometimes the slowness of lift 9 is desired to rest the legs a bit.

Regarding, the ski season vs the snow season, they are out of sync by almost two months. It always amazes me how the status quo is to get going (spending lots of money and using huge amounts of water and fuel) when the snow is marginal and limited at best and abandon excellent spring snows and bluebird days. If your product is good snow, great weather and views, no crowds and pure fun, how come this continually can't be sold?

Here is a frequent Telluride closing day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TO_lift9.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	267610

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mammoth_CMM.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	267611
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-01-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Doesn't the FS control teh dates for Telluride? I think a lot of resorts on FS lands have mandatory close dates, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Doesn't the FS control teh dates for Telluride? I think a lot of resorts on FS lands have mandatory close dates, don't they?
    They can apply for extensions though. Copper did a few years back when they still had a ton of snow and stayed open a few more weeks. I'm sure that it depends on the district as to how easily this is accomplished though. But you guys who brag about how uncrowded it is, can't really complain about them closing down early because of lack of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post

I guess this depends on location and the ski hill. For good spring skiing you need a mountain where you can follow the sun otherwise the window of good snow is pretty short in May. Not all resorts qualify.

Also, with the season pass model most people are trying to break even, so resorts are getting busier on traditionally dead days. Last year on the last weekend in March the parking lot at Kirkwood filled up. Early January was also crazy crowded in Tahoe this year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    They can apply for extensions though.
    Yeah - I knew extensions were a thing... but some resorts, I think, have hard dates - specifically for wildlife reasons, IIRC? Maybe that was Vail or Beaver Creek?

Shit, I can't remember ANYTHING any more.

Yeah - I knew extensions were a thing... but some resorts, I think, have hard dates - specifically for wildlife reasons, IIRC? Maybe that was Vail or Beaver Creek?

Copper's is for Elk migration, but when there's still 10 feet on the ground, I don't think they are concerned with Elk migration so they'll allow it on a case by case basis. That's my assumption anyway.

Big Mountain always closes Hell roaring Basin early each season because of hibernating Grizzly Bears. While I have yet to hear of any instance involving a bear eating a skier around here, I can see why they would not want to push it. Thing is, once the bear has emerged there isn't anything keeping them from wandering out into the rest of the ski area. There's a lot of green runs nearby filled with easy prey.

Bridger closing date I believe is due to bird migrations (but those happen late enough so that they can apply for closing-day extensions).

Certainly the FS permits are a factor, but (other than spring breaks) things are already thinning out in March and early April when there tends to be the deepest snowpack, longer and warmer days. Obviously, biking. spring school sports and other activities are ramping up, but for those with more freedom to travel don't seem to be later in the season.

Telluride and Purgatory would sometimes open a couple extra weekends in April if the snow was good. Couple that with longer days, daylight savings and later starts on fresh corn for a win.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Certainly the FS permits are a factor, but (other than spring breaks) things are already thinning out in March and early April when there tends to be the deepest snowpack, longer and warmer days. Obviously, biking. spring school sports and other activities are ramping up, but for those with more freedom to travel don't seem to be later in the season.

Telluride and Purgatory would sometimes open a couple extra weekends in April if the snow was good. Couple that with longer days, daylight savings and later starts on fresh corn for a win.
    Not to mention that the locals in mountain towns, generally speaking, by April seem *really* ready to GTFO of Dodge because they're tired of winter.

I suspect simply due to the massive influx of people interested in skiing the Front Range, that the usual spring paradigm here is shifting rapidly...

Not to mention that the locals in mountain towns, generally speaking, by April seem *really* ready to GTFO of Dodge because they're tired of winter.
    No doubt. I'd argue that if the season shifted a couple/few weeks (which it won't), the spring fever/burn out would not be as severe.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

I got the ikon pass with the original intention of doing a ski road trip in search of the perfect mountain at which I could then get a season pass this year or the following... a home mountain so to speak.

I've been on said road trip for the past 3 weeks and it's been amazing. I started in Colorado, then on to Salt Lake City and now Reno.

What I've learned so far is that, all things considered, maybe there is no such thing as the perfect mountain... at least not for me. After all the powders gone, mountains all kinda ski the same or similar. It's the powder that makes it so much fun... so what if there was endless powder? What if it never stopped?

Well, that's kinda what the Ikon pass is giving me, somewhat at least. I mean, it's not like there is always a storm, and I can only stomach driving so much, but at least I have options and I'm not tied down to one mountain.

It's been great so far. I only got to spend a few days in Colorado (Snowmass, Steamboat, Keystone) because I wanted to make it to Alta in time for the big dump which stared January 17th. I stayed in Utah for 2 weeks, 7 of which were powder days at Alta. On the other days I went to Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton and Deer Valley.

Now I'm in Reno doing Squaw and Alpine Meadows. There is going to be a massive dump here and in Mammoth this weekend. I'll probably stay a week and then on to the next storm wherever it is, within reason. I'm hoping Jackson or Big Sky.

If you have the ability to take a month or two off work, or can work remotely, I highly recommend storm-chasing. You get to see the mountains at their best. I liked Alta so much that 7 days just wasn't enough, so I went ahead and got a midweek season pass so that I'll have it whenever I want. And when the powder is gone at Alta, I can explore other mountains. Most of the Ikon destinations in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana are a mere 5-7 hour drive from Salt Lake City, so it looks like that's where I'll be based out of until I'm burnt out this season.

PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrooklyn View Post
    I only got to spend a few days in Colorado (Snowmass, Steamboat, Keystone)

PEACE
    Why only Snowmass in the RFV?
    It’s a nice hill and it’s big, but it’s a distant 3rd here.

Keystone and even Steamboat, wouldn’t make my top ten in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Why only Snowmass in the RFV?
    It’s a nice hill and it’s big, but it’s a distant 3rd here.

Keystone and even Steamboat, wouldn’t make my top ten in the state.
    I was chasing a storm at Alta so I only had a few days. I’ll be back though for sure.

I actually preferred Keyston and Steamboat to Snowmass cause I loved their long tree runs. I only spent a day at Snowmass though so I don’t really have an opinion on it since it’s such a big mountain... I loves the Iron Mt hot springs though!!!