Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

No football , but YEAH skiing. A hypocrite father

So this started to come up somewhere else and i deleted it. Figure this forum is likely best for this discussion.

My son is 4. good athlete for his age, strong skier, scoring hat tricks in soccer, hits from both sides of the plate. Dont push him on any of this, just stuff he loves to do.
    I keep him away from football.American football.
    We dont watch it ( i lost interest in pro and college a long time ago, Google Mike Webster and Utah Utes for reasons) and we dont play it as well.
    Reasons are honestly i dont want him to play.

All the research I have read shows sub concussive blows to the head are detrimental. I have never seen any research other wise, https://www.bumc.bu.edu/busm/2018/01...ons-cause-cte/ as a start.

It is almost impossible to remove them from football. My Son based on his genes ( i am 5'11" 240 was recruited for College but didnt bite I am small at my in laws. my wifes cousins all played D 1 Lax and one won 2 Nat Championships. He is likely going to be a horse)

Heres where my raging hypocrisy comes in. I am good with that and despite arguments to the contrary feel confident in that decision, BUT i encourage him to ski whenever possible. He loves it. I love it
    We do and will continue to ski a lot.
    all good right?

But I have had 2 major TBIs from skiing. I have 2 ti plates in my head from the first pre helmet, and took a while to recover from the second with a helmet. I have had a few good knocks since even though I dont ski as hard as I used to.

So this is my quandary I feel fine keeping him from American football, but given the reasons and my history I feel a bit hypocritical.

I would not worry as much as you do.

One of the purposes in football is to punish the opponent. Skiing, not so much.

Let him do what he likes to do. He’ll figure it out.

The problem with football and CTE is the constant repetition of sub-concussive blows much more than the occasional big impact. You can get whacked in the head doing pretty much anything including skiing but in theory at least it won't be happening over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The problem with football and CTE is the constant repetition of sub-concussive blows much more than the occasional big impact. You can get whacked in the head doing pretty much anything including skiing but in theory at least it won't be happening over and over again.
    Apparently woodpeckers get CTE
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S1D5vbOJuY2MPt
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

you're not alone.

I think I will do the same in regards to my kid, when the time comes. I don't think I'll specifically forbid him from playing football, or pretend it doesn't exist, but I don't intend to encourage him to go that route. No doubt skiing can fuck you up, but IME it's a more fulfilling, lifelong activity that doesn't require an organization that could make or break your experience.

Injuries in skiing come when you fuck up.

Injuries in football come when some other guy decides to fuck you up.

Obviously that's a bit over simplified. But any athletic activity carries a risk of some sort of injury. Personally, I prefer the risks that I can control. At least then I have the ability to dial my risk taking up or down based on whatever factors I deem relevant.

He’s 4 years old. Let him be a kid. When then time comes if he shows interest in something let him pursue it and support him in what he chooses. It’s his life and his dreams not yours.
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    He’s 4 years old. Let him be a kid. When then time comes if he shows interest in something let him pursue it and support him in what he chooses. It’s his life and his dreams not yours.
    Fuck that shit. Seriously. There are plenty of other sports he can do that doesn't lead serious brain injury and suicide, all for what? How many go pro and make money in football? He can get the fun of team sports without permanent brain injury. And he STILL can be a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Obviously that's a bit over simplified. But any athletic activity carries a risk of some sort of injury. Personally, I prefer the risks that I can control. At least then I have the ability to dial my risk taking up or down based on whatever factors I deem relevant.
    Unfortunately injuries in football come when you are doing your job. I was an interior lineman for 7 yrs jr. HS and HS (before spearing was popular.). Even then you couldn’t play the game on any kind of competitive level without getting your bell rung. Switched to rugby in university and took fewer shots to the squash but still there were some. Bottom line - it ain’t a safe game. You play you’re going to get hurt.

On the bright side Only been knocked out once skiing.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

agreed : rugby>football. Ask yourself this question .... What percentage of good skiers ski into there 60’s and even 70’s?
    Football players?
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

For the pre teen kids, soccer is actually worse for concussions and brain injuries than football. I don't have links to the research, but coached rec ball from 2006 though 2017. The league we played in actually did not allow headers from kids U15.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ha, I also played football for 7 years and then rugby college. Definitely got my bell rung in football but less so in rugby. There's no game on the planet besides football where constant direct collisions are such a part of the game. Rugby isn't even close in that regard.

If we stopped playing football we might find out that southerners and texans are actually smart.

I have a simple rule change that would make football both safe and a lot funnier and I can explain it in 3 words: Giant Nerf Helmets. Let's do this, people.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

Somewhat true, but people get hit by other skiers all the time.

Saw a women get blind sided on her first run last Powder day I was out. She was on the ground for two runs before patrol carted her off.

My friend, a solid skier, was taken out from behind over the holidays.

My wife was hit from behind years ago, while heading into the corral. Hit so hard and low she flipped in the air and landed on her head. That is why she now wears a helmet.

Just saying it is not always based on you fucking, but sometimes when someone fucks up and fucks you up.

Football, especially at the professional-level, has become highly sensationalized, in that singular big plays are now seemingly celebrated as much as overall team effort. It doesn't help that many of the players are yard apes with thug mentalities. They want to deliver punishing hits on their opponents. It's like a form of street cred. As long as they're issued helmets with face masks, they will continue to lead with their heads. Bring back lather helmets with no masks and the number of head injuries with plummet starting immediately.

D Day, had I a young son, I certainly wouldn't encourage the watching of pro football. It's evolved into too much of a stupid spectacle.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    You can definitely whack your head skiing, but the trees aren't chasing after your at a dead sprint with their heads down.

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    This is bad advice. Just cause your kid likes the feeling of being on Meth, you should let him live his life? I mean, it’s their life, not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Football, especially at the professional-level, has become highly sensationalized, in that singular big plays are now seemingly celebrated as much as overall team effort. It doesn't help that many of the players are yard apes with thug mentalities. They want to deliver punishing hits on their opponents. It's like a form of street cred. As long as they're issued helmets with face masks, they will continue to lead with their heads. Bring back lather helmets with no masks and the number of head injuries with plummet starting immediately.

D Day, had I a young son, I certainly wouldn't encourage the watching of pro football. It's evolved into too much of a stupid spectacle.
    Yeah, but i also get the feeling from all yer frat-boy posts you are also a racist who wouldn't want yer kid hanging out with black people. So no basketball either, huh?

Who cares what you think.

Concussions are "overrated" when it comes to football. IMO it's the repetition of small blows to the head over and over and over again - and the research is starting to confirm this.

I am friends with an ex NFL lineman who has some issues with headaches, etc. clearly related to his playing days. He never had a single concussion in the league (or college of high school), just lots of dings.

I fail to see any hypocrisy here OP. Just judgment.

There are lower risk sports and higher risk sports. A sport doesn’t have to be zero risk in order to qualify as lower risk.

Just don't let him ski anywhere near Gwyneth Paltrow

Or encourage him to and monetize the collision?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Nothing hypocritical about keeping him out of football, at least not until there's a study showing a high rate of CTE among skiers. Risk isn't all or nothing and it's up to the parent--not the kid--to decide how much risk is acceptable. Football>skiing>science club.*
    It's fine to let the kid follow his passion, as long as you feel the passion is reasonably safe. (And keep in mind that the number one reason kids drop out of sports is parental pressure. It's easy to do without realizing you are doing it.)

*maybe wrong about science club. friend of mine in JrHS managed to fill his house with chlorine gas with his home chemistry set.

Taking away helmets and facemasks might significantly reduce the number of head injuries due to fewer people leading with their heads. However, I have a hunch that on the field fatalities would go up dramatically with that move.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    So this is my quandary I feel fine keeping him from American football, but given the reasons and my history I feel a bit hypocritical.
    Don't feel hypocritical.
    Every situation is different, every person is different and any claim of hypocrisy requires an a demonstration of inconsistent application to similar situations.

Besides, football is stupid.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<