Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks for the good info, guys. I'm investigating cloud services...

The drives are basically an archive, so I do incremental backups when I swap out drives, and don't rewrite the entire thing. What I've been doing has been working; it's just the drive failure this week got me thinking about a better way.

Most of the music files can be recovered, true; but not the photos.

One of my laziest friends used to work at the plant that made the read arms for Seagate drives; based on his work ethic, I would never buy Seagate.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post

The drives are basically an archive, so I do incremental backups when I swap out drives, and don't rewrite the entire thing. What I've been doing has been working; it's just the drive failure this week got me thinking about a better way.

One of my laziest friends used to work at the plant that made the read arms for Seagate drives; based on his work ethic, I would never buy Seagate.
    Yeah - I'd just archive those photos to the cloud - pay the $$. Since you're doing the incr thing already, just keep doing that with the music. I'd probably forgo the effort of taking an "extra" drive to the bank. Maybe take the *source* for the music to the bank? I mean, if you're really worried about the music...

Some of the music files only exist on these drives, and are unrecoverable (stuff I made myself; the masters are long gone). Since I need to back these files up, I figure why not put my other music in there too?

Then your friend must have touched every single drive I bought. Fuck.

Some of the music files only exist on these drives, and are unrecoverable (stuff I made myself; the masters are long gone). Since I need to back these files up, I figure why not put my other music in there too?
    Because music takes up a shitload of space?

I'm more and more convinced that you should just suck it up, archive *all* that shit to the Cloud, and worry no more. You know... until the Cloud provider loses all your shit.

Best way to solve a large problem is to chunk it up into smaller problems. Having your original music archived makes tons of sense. And since you have a safe deposit box already, keeping copies there makes perfect sense. I am by no means an expert on long term archives. You might want to consult one from the music industry. However, some media degrades over time. Or becomes obsolete. So refreshing those periodically makes sense. The same will hold true for your family photos.