Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Life skills

Being able to negotiate a better rate/price. Hotels, big ticket purchases, B2B contracts, etc.
    focus.

Be able to take responsibility for your actions, or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I need this skill. Suck at it. Neighbor just died. Barely knew him. BS'd a few times. Late 40's. Wife and two kids. How do I reach out? Flowers? Food? Card? I really want to do something, but I don't know what or how.
    Food? See what they are doing in lieu of flower, like donations to charity. Go over and see if the wife needs help with anything that was left undone but untimely circumstances?

I suck at showing emotion too...

I need this skill. Suck at it. Neighbor just died. Barely knew him. BS'd a few times. Late 40's. Wife and two kids. How do I reach out? Flowers? Food? Card? I really want to do something, but I don't know what or how.
    1. Make a casserole with a bunch of veggies. You want the new widow to be able to feed the kids on it for a couple meals and feel decent about it's nutritional value.

2. Present casserole to neighbors. Say, "I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't know Bob well, but he was incredibly kind every time we chatted when he was walking the dog. We will miss him."

3. Offer to help if she ever needs a babysitter or she needs someone to pick the kids up from soccer practice, etc. Leave your full contact info for your household with that offer in writing on a note she can stick on the fridge.

4. Follow through on that offer when your neighbor needs help.

5. Feel good about yourself because you're a stand-up guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    1. Make a casserole with a bunch of veggies. You want the new widow to be able to feed the kids on it for a couple meals and feel decent about it's nutritional value.

2. Present casserole to neighbors. Say, "I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't know Bob well, but he was incredibly kind every time we chatted when he was walking the dog. We will miss him."

3. Offer to help if she ever needs a babysitter or she needs someone to pick the kids up from soccer practice, etc. Leave your full contact info for your household with that offer in writing on a note she can stick on the fridge.

Where does "Profit" fit into that list? This is America after all, if there isn't money to be made doing it, then fuck it.

Or this...
    https://www.costco.com/Chef's-Banquet-Macaroni-%2526-Cheese-Storage-Bucket-180-Servings.product.100108871.html
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Poopenhausen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This turned into a "Skills I am proud I have" thread. Write html? Who cares. Write a descriptive cogent sentence. Fight and wrestle? Learn how to run. Skate? A leisure activity? Tie 5 knots? I'm not skippering my own catamaran around Cape of Good Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ballstein View Post
    This turned into a "Skills I am proud I have" thread. Write html? Who cares. Write a descriptive cogent sentence. Fight and wrestle? Learn how to run. Skate? A leisure activity? Tie 5 knots? I'm not skippering my own catamaran around Cape of Good Hope.
    Never mind the catamaran, you're also not capable of securing a load to your roof or truck bed, tying your shoes, securing a rock climbing harness to a rope, and putting on a neck tie.

I'm not skippering my own catamaran around Cape of Good Hope.
    Ok. Then how about busting a nut into a widow?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I need this skill. Suck at it.
    Don't we all. It's hard.
    Neighbor just died. Barely knew him. BS'd a few times. Late 40's. Wife and two kids. How do I reach out? Flowers? Food? Card? I really want to do something, but I don't know what or how.
    Card. Let things develop from there?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Ok. Then how about busting a nut into a widow?
    I laughed.

Cooking is definitely #1 on my list. It's incredible the lack of skill at that these days among a large part of the population.

Also, basic statistics and probability. I'm not talking college level stuff but you should understand a 70% rise in something might mean a lot, or it might mean 17 out of 100000 instead of 10 out of 100000.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    How to cook a steak

How to fight
    Seems like most people I know these days have never been in a real fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    You never saw a fire get going by someone trying to cook bacon in the oven?

But hey, at least they were cooking.
    Baking bacon is an abomination IMO. I did see someone catch a toaster on fire trying to toast a bagel. It was an expensive mistake--not because she burned anything besides the bagel and the toaster but because it set off hospital fire alarms which means mandatory 3 engine response, all the fire doors slamming shut--including some very scary drop down doors that fortunately didn't hit anyone.

Tie 5 knots? I'm not skippering my own catamaran around Cape of Good Hope.
    1. Overhand knot
    2. Bow (for your shoes)
    3. Square
    4. Hitch
    5. Windsor

Somedays you need all 5 of these knots just to get out the door.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Baking bacon is an abomination IMO.
    I can’t say I disagree, but it doesn’t upset me enough to offer to cook it myself. I just refill my mimosa and check my phone.

What? What do you have against baking bacon?
    focus.

It just tastes so much better fried, in its own fat or maybe with a little butter.

My baked bacon bakes in its own fat. I really can’t tell a difference, except I can better pilot the waffle iron or fry up French toast or sip on coffee while the bacon cooks.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    It just tastes so much better fried, in its own fat or maybe with a little butter.
    Clearly someone who has never eaten baked bacon. I still pan fry it most of the time, but anyone who says that the texture of baked bacon isn't superior is wrong.

The baked v. fried bacon discussion probably needs its own thread, but I think the resulting battle would threaten to tear the very fabric of this place apart.

That said:
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Clearly someone who has never eaten baked bacon. I still pan fry it most of the time, but anyone who says that the texture of baked bacon isn't superior is wrong.
    If I hadn’t tasted baked bacon I would never have risen up to passionately and vigorously state my position on it as strongly as I did, would I? But I was talking about taste, not texture.

Fried Vs Baked depends on level of desired crispiness IMO. My wife likes it brittle crisp, so the oven is much easier to evenly cook it. When I cook it for myself, I prefer it less well done, which I find is better pan fried. But that is just me.

Oh I'm just stirring shit up because this thread devolved from helpful to self-aggrandizing in about 6 posts. Cook your bacon however the hell you like.

You guys are killing me! OK, a 5 gallon bucket of mac and cheese and try and seduce the widow. I'm on it!

If you're not using one of these when frying bacon you're doing it wrong.