Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way, I'm good on the head whackers/avi anchors

22 47.83%
  • Yes, not trying to lose my $1000 wood planks

24 52.17%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Leashes for AT, do you use them?

Got some Marker Kingpins mounted to some Noctas (125 underfoot). I've been out 3x this year with that setup and twice my ski has come off while skinning up. Yes, I have the toe locked but I think the combination of having wide skis and stomping them on an icy steep slope has caused them to come off twice. Luckily I have been able to grab my ski right away but in the chance that I wasn't able to, it would've shot down the hill possibly never to be seen again. So okay, I should get myself some leashes, did a little research heard a lot of complaints about them getting in the way or whack you in the head when you're tomahawking down the mountain or being avalanche anchors. So my question is, do you use leashes? I've heard of break-away leashes, thoughts on those? They don't seem to make them for kingpins though

Most of my tech bindings now have no brakes, so there are leashes. I never, ever use them midwinter due to the anchor in an avalanche problem.
    I do use them for spring ski mountaineering lines. Basically, if I think the risk of prerelease would be more dangerous than the risk of being caught in an avalanche, then the leashes go on.

If you are kicking out of the toe when skinning you are doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

^ This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Used to not use them. Always said just don't take your skis off at the top, or be good about clearing ice if you bootpack. Then one day I didn't do as good of a job clearing ice after a bootpack. Released a ski that took off like a rocket. Magically it only went about 400ft down a 2200ft face before spearing straight up. I was able to sideslip down to it and re-attach. Since then I always use leashes.

From what I understand, Dynafit and B&D leashes will both breakaway with the force of an avalanche.
    It sucks to suck.

So if you're sidehilling on an icy steep slope, you don't stomp a little to create a ledge for your skin to grab on to? Honest question, relatively new to touring

Leashes for AT, do you use them?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    So if you're sidehilling on an icy steep slope, you don't stomp a little to create a ledge for your skin to grab on to? Honest question, relatively new to touring
    If you have to stomp hard enough that your binding is releasing, you might want to invest in some ski crampons.

Edit: looks like kingpin crampons only go to 120mm?

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Used to not use them. Always said just don't take your skis off at the top, or be good about clearing ice if you bootpack. Then one day I didn't do as good of a job clearing ice after a bootpack. Released a ski that took off like a rocket. Magically it only went about 400ft down a 2200ft face before spearing straight up. I was able to sideslip down to it and re-attach. Since then I always use leashes.

From what I understand, Dynafit and B&D leashes will both breakaway with the force of an avalanche.
    Can I use Dynafit leashes for my kingpins? I'm assuming there's nothing special about them, just need to fit through binding attachment hole

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    If you have to stomp hard enough that your binding is releasing, you might want to invest in some ski crampons.

Edit: looks like kingpin crampons only go to 120mm?
    Haha great. Any ideas on how to finagle around this?

Can I use Dynafit leashes for my kingpins?
    You're going to die.

Honest question, relatively new to touring
    ^ No shit.

If this is happening on a frequent basis you are doing something wrong. Either not clearing snow properly or not latching fully in walk mode.

Since you're new I assume it isn't worn toe sockets... which It could possibly be.

Don't the people you're touring with point out what you're doing incorrectly.

No. Roll your ankle downhill to get the skin flat on the snow.
    If it's too icy for that get ski crampons or boot.
    Even if you are stomping your ski shouldn't release unless you are doing something else wrong. Toe sockets not cleared, toe sockets worn, binding not fully locked, tried to lock the binding but your boot wasn't in properly so it didn't actually lock, etc.

The Dynafit 130mm crampon will fit providing your bsl is 315mm and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    The Dynafit 130mm crampon will fit providing your bsl is 315mm and over.
    Good to know, thank you

I just use/like brakes.

Someone had to say that

I'm still trying to make peace with trusting breakaway leashes (B&D) - strong enough to hold and weak enough to break free when required.

So, I'm running both on occasion (a long term study). My problem is that the last time I released was maybe 4 years ago, so how do I test without turning myself i to a crash test dummy ;-)

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I just use/like brakes.

Someone had to say that
    Here's another: What's all this about icy skin tracks? I only tour for powder.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I turned myself into a crash test dummy and a cotton shoelace will break.
    off your knees Louie

Even if you are stomping your ski shouldn't release unless you are doing something else wrong. Toe sockets not cleared, toe sockets worn, binding not fully locked, tried to lock the binding but your boot wasn't in properly so it didn't actually lock, etc.
    ^ This...

(or else it's a feature unique to Marker bindings )

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    I only tour for powder.
    I only tour on 125 underfoot skis when there's not going to be an icy skin track.

Or bring ski crampons.

And know how to lock tech toes.

B&D breakaway leashes. Great product/company.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine was just in a size 2 avalanche a few weeks ago. Didnt get buried but had a hell of a time to extracate himself from the snow because his skis were buried and he was attached via leashes that obviously didn't break. These were G3 Ion LT bindings. I ski the same bindings with leashes and now I'm reconsidering going with brakes instead...

Or using kingpins

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

No more leashes.
    Burying a ski and going head first into light fluffy snow with one foot tied uphill has been pretty awkward a few times. And then there were the stitches. Just two, but still..

So, vipecs with brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm still trying to make peace with trusting breakaway leashes (B&D) - strong enough to hold and weak enough to break free when required.

So, I'm running both on occasion (a long term study). My problem is that the last time I released was maybe 4 years ago, so how do I test without turning myself i to a crash test dummy ;-)

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Loan them to a friend, but crank the DIN way down.

Best if it's not a good friend.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Loan them to a friend, but crank the DIN way down.

Best if it's not a good friend.
    I've seen more good sig. lines today than I have in the past month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacolac View Post
    For what it's worth, a friend of mine was just in a size 2 avalanche a few weeks ago. Didnt get buried but had a hell of a time to extracate himself from the snow because his skis were buried and he was attached via leashes that obviously didn't break. These were G3 Ion LT bindings. I ski the same bindings with leashes and now I'm reconsidering going with brakes instead...
    Fused leashes?
    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    back around the turn of the century i was just gonna learn to tele or accept the alpine day wreckers elevated slog of suck
    or learn to ski on 10 din dynawhomper with the shitty boot selection available then
    the damirs came to town
    brakes were a +$50
    being a cheap ski bum i ran a biner off the heel to 15-20' of para cord in a goggle bag round my ankle/calf
    worked great for 1/2 a season, couple of times i ejected the cord deployed and i reeled the ski in
    hucked off a cat track front seat over the handle bars ski ejected cord partly deployed
    ski came up cracked me in the back of the head and cracked the never wore one before helmet mom bought me 3 days prior
    worn one of them skull protectors ever since went down to bd and bought brakes that afternoon and wont ever strap a ski to my body in or outta avvy terrain again .
    them front brakes on them atk free raiders are pretty minimalistic and dont always stop the ski
    but it sure is nice that when my toe leaves the binder they always deploy
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno