Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Anyone have the 179s...either the 179cm 108Ti or the 179cm 116C? I'm 5'7", 165lbs.

If so, what is the rec mount on the 179cm (-9.75 same as 186)?

Has anyone skied the 108 or 116 MB (any length) at +2.5 to +3cm? Thoughts?

I know that I don't like being that far (-9.75cm) back on a ski....but I do want a chargier ski to expand the inbound quiver (eg. 183 Faction Candide 5.0s, 184 4FRNT Renegades and 177 K2 Marksmans....which are all mounted at -5cm from true center). I also have some Rustler 11s mounted with Shifts at +1 , approx. -7cm.

Most chargier skis are in that -9 to - 11cm range. But I remember talking to one of the Head pro skiers and he said they ski the Head Kores at +4cm....I think rec on those is -11cm, so at -7cm?

And here is what Blister said about going forward on the 108Ti:
    On the recommended line, the Mindbender 108Ti felt best when skied with a forward, driving stance. But I could ski it centered when needed, and it wasn’t as punishing as some skis in its class (especially those with equal or better stability) if I did get backseat. I ended up skiing the Mindbender 108Ti with the bindings mounted +1, +2, and +3 cm in front of the recommended line. As someone who prefers skis with a more balanced feel, I ended up liking the ski best with the bindings at +2 (-7.75 cm from center). Here, I could ski it a bit more centered, it felt slightly more balanced in the air (though still fairly heavy), and I didn’t feel like I lost anything in the way of edge hold, carving performance, etc. At +3, I felt like the Mindbender 108Ti’s tails washed out a bit early while carving, so I wouldn’t recommend mounting it super far in front of the line.

Stupid deals on these right now (like equivalent $340US shipped no tax for the 116 with this graphic):

Though probably the 108Ti fits better in m quiver. Though I ski the 122mm waist Factions a ton on groomers. Think the 116C would be less chargy, more fun. Got some Pivots with 115mm brakes looking for a ski....for 50-60 days mostly at Whistler and Baker. I like when someone here said the 108Ti is like an easy Cochise.

Attachment 322730
    I had an OG Cochise back in the day and had a few days on 108ti’s before everything shut down. I would say that you probably give up some variable snow stability and high end speed with the 108ti’s but they are way more maneuverable in the trees and low angle. Also they float way better than the Cochise, I had them in knee deep powder and could ski with a forward stance without worrying about tip dive. The Cochise was the most stable ski I’ve ever ridden. The 108ti’s are not in that class but close enough. Also the 108ti’s you don’t have to ski them as aggressively for them to come alive. That said on the damp/poppy spectrum they are definitely on the damp end.

Also regarding the Blister quote on mount point, it’s followed in the review by a counter point from a directional skier who had no problem with the recommended mount point.

While the construction of the OG Cochise and MB 108ti are really different they both have the the same characteristic of being to release the tail really easily.

So after almost 2 seasons on the 99mb proto,i still havent had a day where i would have wanted another ski.Close to 130 6 hour days on them. i picked up a pair of the 108's right before the season abuply ended,skied well on a variety of conditions,a combo of corn on ice,icy bumps and some groomers,they handled those conditions with no problem,though the 99 would have been my ski of choice.unfortunaly my Tahoe trip was cancelled so i will have to wait till next season for a true picture.

K2 Mindbender Skis

Quote Originally Posted by rainy512day View Post
    I had an OG Cochise back in the day and had a few days on 108ti’s before everything shut down. I would say that you probably give up some variable snow stability and high end speed with the 108ti’s but they are way more maneuverable in the trees and low angle. Also they float way better than the Cochise, I had them in knee deep powder and could ski with a forward stance without worrying about tip dive. The Cochise was the most stable ski I’ve ever ridden. The 108ti’s are not in that class but close enough. Also the 108ti’s you don’t have to ski them as aggressively for them to come alive. That said on the damp/poppy spectrum they are definitely on the damp end.

Also regarding the Blister quote on mount point, it’s followed in the review by a counter point from a directional skier who had no problem with the recommended mount point.

While the construction of the OG Cochise and MB 108ti are really different they both have the the same characteristic of being to release the tail really easily.
    This makes sense and pretty much what I figured. The MB 108Ti would fit nicely in my inbounds quiver.....and the 108 is chargier (than the MB 116 and I really don’t need another pow ski) and the 108mm will float me fine.

Which color combo....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4529950A-2FC0-4124-8051-21A2CD423BF5.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	533.4 KB 
ID:	322901
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CEEB11E6-FC88-490B-867D-16192194E080.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	613.4 KB 
ID:	322900  
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-29-2020 at 08:27 PM.

I only got a handful of days on my MB108TI’s before the end of days struck, but they were starting to be the only ski I wanted to be on. If I had to give an explanation of where they fit with other skis I’ve liked, I would say take the OG Cochise and blend it with the do it all ease of the Enforcer line. They are less charger than the Cochise but just as loose, but float way better as Rain512day shared. They are as easy to ski as Enforcers, especially on-piste, but feel like they are more ski.

KC - they are starting to become my favorite Whistler ski, as they handle everything that mountain has to offer.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Just mounted up my 2nd pair of 108s (thanks skibrd glad you couldn't ski pow on em ) with techs 1/2 " back due to a conflict with previous mount. Pretty heavy ski to tour on but i never do more than 4-5k a day so i should be ok. Its still lighter than my cast setup on my 116s. Hopefully ill get a chance to bust a move but things are pretty grim.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Hey Banditman,

I’m thinking the MB would be awesome at Whistler too. We’re there every week from Nov - April. Sucks to have to wait til next year. Damn virus.

SirVic....very nice K2 quiver. Love the orange Pivots on the 116s.

Funny how K2 has come back?

I now have some K2 Marksmans (super fun ski), probly getting some 108 MBs now....and next year’s Reckoners look fun too (more center, freestylish rippers).

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Just mounted up my 2nd pair of 108s (thanks skibrd glad you couldn't ski pow on em ) with techs 1/2 " back due to a conflict with previous mount. Pretty heavy ski to tour on but i never do more than 4-5k a day so i should be ok. Its still lighter than my cast setup on my 116s. Hopefully ill get a chance to bust a move but things are pretty grim.

Wow never thought I would see quiver pics of K2’s on TGR. Thought that was only in ON3P and Moment threads

Someone here had their 116Cs at +3 and didn’t get them, we chatted, he moved them back to 0, and now loves them.

I really believe we all over think mount points. Sticking with 0 is the correct decision 99% of the time. Of all the skis I’ve owned, two pairs totally changed for the better when moved was the 193 Gunsmoke (to +2) and 202cm Fischer Ranger 108 (-3.5). Every other time it’s been a waste.

Don’t over think it, stick with the line.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can anybody compare the Mindbender 116c to the Wildcat tour?

Quick question - does the MB99TI and MB108TI have two sheets of metal or just the one? If two, are they both the Y-Beam or just the top layer? I cannot track down a clear answer about the construction and number of metal layers. Thanks!

The 108ti is one layer titanal (aluminum) Y Beam. They had a lay up from K2 in the shop where I bought mine. The Y Beam in this application is a very large piece of metal.

SVS - remind me this summer to hunt down some 20+ year old K2 stickers for those Merlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    SVS - remind me this summer to hunt down some 20+ year old K2 stickers for those Merlins.
    Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    You are accessed 1 demerit for not having the Alpental stickers on the Pinnacles aligned.

You gain 3 bonus points for the Team Roarke stickers

I need to find a pair of the 186cm 108 for next year. Sounds like a pretty good everyday ski when the Billy Goats are not the tool of choice.

This makes sense and pretty much what I figured. The MB 108Ti would fit nicely in my inbounds quiver.....and the 108 is chargier (than the MB 116 and I really don’t need another pow ski) and the 108mm will float me fine.

Which color combo....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4529950A-2FC0-4124-8051-21A2CD423BF5.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	533.4 KB 
ID:	322901
    I've seen both the Forzas and white 18s on 108s and they both looked good. Tough to go wrong.

Has anyone skied the 108 or 116 MB (any length) at +2.5 to +3cm? Thoughts?

I know that I don't like being that far (-9.75cm) back on a ski....but I do want a chargier ski to expand the inbound quiver (eg. 183 Faction Candide 5.0s, 184 4FRNT Renegades and 177 K2 Marksmans....which are all mounted at -5cm from true center). I also have some Rustler 11s mounted with Shifts at +1 , approx. -7cm.

Most chargier skis are in that -9 to - 11cm range. But I remember talking to one of the Head pro skiers and he said they ski the Head Kores at +4cm....I think rec on those is -11cm, so at -7cm?

Attachment 322730
    Most team skiers move their mount point forward. Tyler Curle in an interview says he mounts his wildcats at +2 and commanders at +4. Markus Eder said somewhere he skis his revolt 121 and 104s at +1 and those skis already have a very progressive mount. Haven’t heard from any K2 team skiers, but I would bet they are atleast at +2 on the MB’s.

That doesn’t mean everyone should set their stuff up exactly like the pros, but it does show multiple mount points work well on a ski, and they probably don’t sacrifice too much by moving it forward.

If you know from experience that you like more forward mount points then you will probably be happy at +2 or +3. Worst case you can remount or sell them.

K2 Mindbender Skis

Quote Originally Posted by poleplant View Post
    Most team skiers move their mount point forward. Tyler Curle in an interview says he mounts his wildcats at +2 and commanders at +4. Markus Eder said somewhere he skis his revolt 121 and 104s at +1 and those skis already have a very progressive mount. Haven’t heard from any K2 team skiers, but I would bet they are atleast at +2 on the MB’s.

That doesn’t mean everyone should set their stuff up exactly like the pros, but it does show multiple mount points work well on a ski, and they probably don’t sacrifice too much by moving it forward.

If you know from experience that you like more forward mount points then you will probably be happy at +2 or +3. Worst case you can remount or sell them.

Hey poleplant,

Exactly. Some of us know we don’t like far back, traditional mounts, but we do want a bit chargier type ski.... just feel a bit better knowing someone else out there rides them forward.

I also have a size 7US foot, that I cram into a 24.5 mondo Dalbello Krypton 130. I find that with a short bsl, ie 290mm you want to go a bit forward, or else the tips look f’ing long. Eg a 310mm bsl will have 1cm less tip in front of toe piece vs a 290mm bsl. It’s really just optics but the tips look damn long when you have a shorter bsl.

Anyways, I will have a long, drawn out quarantined summer to think on what to add to the quiver. Luckily my job is pretty safe (university prof who is now teaching online) so I am lucky that I can think about buying more skis. And the deals aren’t going anywhere soon.

In that regard I’m leaning MB 116 (vs MB 108).....then I would have a diverse wide ski quiver:
    wide rockered ski (4FRNT Ren),
    wide flat ski (Faction 5.0) and
    wide cambered ski (MB 116).

I spend so much time on the Faction 5.0 this season I’m just used to wide skis in all conditions.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 06-07-2022 at 01:11 AM.

I also have a size 7US foot, that I cram into a 24.5 mondo Dalbello Krypton 130. I find that with a short bsl, ie 290mm you want to go a bit forward, or else the tips look f’ing long. Eg a 310mm bsl will have 1cm less tip in front of toe piece vs a 290mm bsl. It’s really just optics but the tips look damn long when you have a shorter bsl.
    Same hobbit foot here, Marshal always recommended I go at least +1. Speaking of Marshal, good to see him around a bit lately

25.5 here...traditional mount feels fine. I beat the hell out of my body in the Park way back when and don’t get “jibby” anymore. I like to pressure the tips and drive a ski. YMMV.

Bsl 335 skied my auxiliary pair of 108s that i mounted minus 1 due to conflict with previous mount. Seemed to ski great in deep snow and lower on suncrust

Spent about half of the season with my 193 MB108 on the line, felt great combined with my Krypton 130 maxed out on forward lean. Ended up being given some Recon Pro boots midway through the season which are a little more upright, found it tough to get as far over the ski as i needed. I replaced the Jester Pros on them with a CAST setup at +1.5 when I saw the end nearing. Being at +1.5 felt a lot better with a more upright boot.

Just picked up a pair of MB108 demos on sale for $285 with Tyrolia bindings. Got some pivot's to mount, but I'm thinking about running the demo binders for a bit to experiment some with the mount point. Should be able to go +2 to -1. I loved them on the line, but I'm really interested to try +1-2 and see if they keep everything I liked with a bit more balance in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Just picked up a pair of MB108 demos on sale for $285 with Tyrolia bindings. Got some pivot's to mount, but I'm thinking about running the demo binders for a bit to experiment some with the mount point. Should be able to go +2 to -1. I loved them on the line, but I'm really interested to try +1-2 and see if they keep everything I liked with a bit more balance in the air.
    That's a steal! Any more where that came from?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    That's a steal! Any more where that came from?
    I had the same question.

I got them off fleabay from "avalanchesports" which seems to be out of Breck in CO. I don't see any other items at all from them right now, but I'm sure this summer there will be more lightly used demos popping up.