Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Well look what Corbett’s sent to my house....K2 Mindbender 108Ti LTD

Anyone own the K2 Merlin from 1998? Same graphic. Likely going a bit forward on these. With black STH 16s.

Interested to see how they compare to my Nordica Enforcer Free 104s. I’m hoping these are kinda like what would happen if an M102/Katana and an Enforcer had a baby.

Attachment 373796

Attachment 373797

Attachment 373798

Attachment 373799

Attachment 373800
    So sick. I woulda grabbed if they made the 193 with that graphic at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    So sick. I woulda grabbed if they made the 193 with that graphic at that price.
    Fucking ditto.
    Had a pair of those as a young teenager and they changed my life
    Nice score KC your gonna love that ski

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I bet I could ski the 186 tbh. I bet it'd be a fun ski for me, that I wouldn't overpower that much. I could adapt. It measure 186cm true, if not a tiny bit more, so it's basically the best 186 possible and not that wimpy of a ski.

I bet I could ski the 186 tbh. I bet it'd be a fun ski for me, that I wouldn't overpower that much. I could adapt. It measure 186cm true, if not a tiny bit more, so it's basically the best 186 possible and not that wimpy of a ski.
    Go get em.... 186cm K2 Mindbender LTD for $449CDN:

https://www.corbetts.com/2021-k2-min...d-108-ti-skis/

Last edited by kc_7777; 05-07-2021 at 11:19 PM.

That Sean Pettit video on this ski is no help either, just makes me want to buy. Reminds me of Seth Morrison for reason.

Still, I'm going to wait and try the 193 first. I'm not as flus$h as you guys. 193 could be goldilocks. Fun and charger.
    Last edited by AEV; 05-07-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Ya pretty much. Their prices are so damn low ($449 CDN for new 2021 Mindbender “limited” skis?) and it’s always free shipping and only 5% GST tax to BC.

My wife just shakes her head as the FedEx truck pulls up.

I figure I’m doing my part to keep the Canadian retail economy going. Haven’t collected a penny in Covid support, but still have more $ in the bank and a ton of new skis.

Pretty lucky to have had a bunch of extra online work due to Covid (I’m a prof at a university and have an online CPA firm) and I did a ton of extra consulting work for online CPA teaching texts. And I saved $500/month in gas due working from home (I live 60km from the university) as no driving for a year.

Plus I’m lucky to have no mortgage....this is key. Debt is a quality of life killer.

Up to 9 pair in the quiver.....but I consider it more like inventory....and each pair I have bought is at pretty low prices....so I figure I would “lose” maybe $100-$150 per pair if I sold them after skiing them for 5-10 days?

Here’s my justification...

Say you buy 10 pairs of good skis from Corbett’s (eg I’ve recently bought 2021 Reckoners 112s @$449CDN, 2020 M102s@$525, 2021 Mindbenders@$449, 2021 Ripsticks @ $449 etc) which all have pretty decent resale. And say I ski each pair for 7 days in a season and lose $150 per pair on resale?

My cost is $449CDN x 1.05 = $475CDN.

If sell them on here as pretty darn new....$250US x 1.3 = $325CDN

$475 - $325 = $150CDN loss.

Loss = 10 pair x $150 = $1,500 total loss

10 pair x 7 days = 70 ski days.

$1,500 / 70 = $21 / day

It’s a hobby. Like golf. Or drinking.

Just way cheaper at $21/day.

Thats some good accounting above! Feel free to pass on to your spouse.
    Probably the most accurate description I have ever read of someone who loves skis more than skiing itself. The hobby of buying skis seems to have replaced the hobby of skiing.

Of course, skiing is not a mere hobby.

I admit— I cannot fathom managing a quiver like this.

Are there any other people who buy ten pairs of skis from a retailer?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Probably the most accurate description I have ever read of someone who loves skis more than skiing itself. The hobby of buying skis seems to have replaced the hobby of skiing.
    That's awfully judgey.

K2 Mindbender Skis

Probably the most accurate description I have ever read of someone who loves skis more than skiing itself.
    I haven't even had coffee yet this am.

I thought my previous post showed how much I loved skiing through my gear buying and selling. But you took it that I like the gear more. So easy for miscommunication on the internet. If we spent 10 min skiing together you would have a different impression I'm sure.

I'll agree that the buying/selling is a separate "hobby" from the actual skiing. But man I love skiing. I get in my 50-60 good skis days every season. And have done so every year for the past 35+ years? At Baker, Whistler, the Powder Highway....got a wife that rips (left my 1st marriage as she didn’t ski enough), an 11 year old daughter who’s in Whistler ski school 30 days a year, and two older sons that rip hard on my old Renegades. We’re at Whistler every weekend from November to April. We do the powder highway for 10 days every winter in February. We’re a ski family. We ski hard all day and we don’t ski easy stuff. Skiing is not a hobby.

Ya I like trying different gear. Which I thought was the fucking point of posting on Tech Talk? I’ve skied a lot of skis over the past 10 years....Lib-Techs, Moments, Lines, Icelantics, 4FRNTs, Blizzards, K2s, Nordicas, Elans, Rossignols, Salomon, Factions..... when I could afford it. Most bought at various places at decent prices, skied and then resold to try different ones. So ya researching gear and trying it is a hobby. But no way I like it more than actually skiing.

The buying then selling 10 pairs was an example. To show that the net cost of gear whoring is <$2,000 per year, which I feel is similar to the cost of other hobbies, for example golf. I'm a teacher. I like numbers. And examples are used to clarify. I think it's key to know where your money goes and what is the true cash cost of your actions. Which was the point. It had nothing to do with my love of skiing, which is the point you took. That's fine. To each their own. It's pretty normal that when teaching a class that a couple of students don't get the point of the lesson.

Let's get back to Mindbenders instead of me justifying and you judging. haha.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 05-08-2021 at 10:01 AM.

I haven't even had coffee yet this am.

I thought my previous post showed how much I loved skiing through my gear buying and selling. But you took it that I like the gear more. So easy for miscommunication on the internet. If we spent 10 min skiing together you would have a different impression I'm sure.

I'll agree that the buying/selling is a separate "hobby" from the actual skiing. But man I love skiing. I get in my 50-60 good skis days every season. And have done so every year for the past 35+ years? At Baker, Whistler, the Powder Highway....got a wife that rips (left my 1st marriage as she didn’t ski enough), an 11 year old daughter who’s in Whistler ski school 30 days a year, and two older sons that rip hard on my old Renegades. We’re at Whistler every weekend from November to April. We do the powder highway for 10 days every winter in February. We’re a ski family. We ski hard all day and we don’t ski easy stuff. Skiing is not a hobby.

Ya I like trying different gear. Which I thought was the fucking point of posting on Tech Talk? I’ve skied a lot of skis over the past 10 years....Lib-Techs, Moments, Lines, Icelantics, 4FRNTs, Blizzards, K2s, Nordicas, Elans, Rossignols, Salomon, Factions..... when I could afford it. Most bought at various places at decent prices, skied and then resold to try different ones. So ya researching gear and trying it is a hobby. But no way I like it more than actually skiing.

The buying then selling 10 pairs was an example. To show that the net cost of gear whoring is <$2,000 per year, which I feel is similar to the cost of other hobbies, for example golf. I'm a teacher. I like numbers. And examples are used to clarify. I think it's key to know where your money goes and what is the true cash cost of your actions. Which was the point. It had nothing to do with my love of skiing, which is the point you took. That's fine. To each their own. It's pretty normal that when teaching a class that a couple of students don't get the point of the lesson.

Let's get back to Mindbenders instead of me justifying and you judging. haha.
    KC...I get it. The gear is part of the experience. Growing up in a shop but the gear bug in me. Wanting to help customers find the ski that worked for how and where they ski and not what was (then) plastered in ads in the first 1/3 of Ski or Powder magazine.

Now, gear adds some variety to my experience.

BTW, I had some 188 Merlin IV’s. I currently have some 186 MB108TI’s but not the throwback model. You’re purchase is giving me FOMO.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I friggen love gear
    Last edited by AEV; 05-08-2021 at 12:31 PM.

KC, keep it up. Your gear and education about gear posts make me happy. I also buy a bunch of skis each year, and it’s not too bad when you are smart about it.

Well look what Corbett’s sent to my house....K2 Mindbender 108Ti LTD

Anyone own the K2 Merlin from 1998? Same graphic. Likely going a bit forward on these. With black STH 16s.

Interested to see how they compare to my Nordica Enforcer Free 104s. I’m hoping these are kinda like what would happen if an M102/Katana and an Enforcer had a baby.

Attachment 373796

Attachment 373797

Attachment 373798

Attachment 373799

Attachment 373800
    FOMO and a bit of nostalgia set in. Grabbed some 186 throwbacks, too. Will be selling my yellow school bus 186’s as a result.

K2 Mindbender Skis

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    FOMO and a bit of nostalgia set in. Grabbed some 186 throwbacks, too. Will be selling my yellow school bus 186’s as a result.
    Nice work banditman!

Corbett’s price is too good to pass up. I bet you’re not out that much when all is said and done on the switch.

My last two ski purchases have been these 2021 limited edition “retro” Mindbenders, and 2021 K2 Reckoner 112s with the Geoff McFetridge custom art top sheet.

Both were the equivalent of $419CDN landed to me, as I can avoid 7% provincial sales taxes buying from another province and shipping to BC.

I really like when ski companies make limited run, different/retro top sheets? Keeps things more interesting in the quiver. Should make chairlift rides more interactive too.

I wish more companies would do this besides K2. Especially the retro top sheets.

The cost shouldn’t be that prohibitive?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D88DAB95-0068-49B5-8D05-FC4BE44EED07.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	384232

Name:	1A9EECBE-5986-4F57-A4C3-96F9043F2A0E.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	885.9 KB 
ID:	384231
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-01-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Of course, skiing is not a mere hobby.

I admit— I cannot fathom managing a quiver like this.

Are there any other people who buy ten pairs of skis from a retailer?

The "gear math" in this post is based on sound N+1 principles...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

N+1 always applies. I like KCs ski buying algorithm as well.

Bandit Man, good call on grabbing those. The price is too good to pass up, especially when retrofitted. I would have snagged already if there was a 193

Was fiddling around with the 193s in shop, and they seem long but doable. Soft enough. Sometimes I don't like long soft skis though.

N+1 always applies. I like KCs ski buying algorithm as well.

Bandit Man, good call on grabbing those. The price is too good to pass up, especially when retrofitted. I would have snagged already if there was a 193

Was fiddling around with the 193s in shop, and they seem long but doable. Soft enough. Sometimes I don't like long soft skis though.
    Where are you located? Bsl?
    I've got a couple pairs of 193s

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Where are you located? Bsl?
    I've got a couple pairs of 193s

I'm in Tahoe. I'll be all around the West next season though. Utah, PNW, WY, CO

325mm BSL, but I have boots with 315mm as well.

PSA - The Ski Monster has MB108’s for $399

https://theskimonster.com/products/k...bender-108-ti/

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

K2 Mindbender Skis

Hey banditman,

Comparing the M102/K108s to a Mindbender 108Ti....MB is a bit more “enforcerish” I’m assuming. MB is kinda of inbetween the Enforcer 104 and the M102/K108s?

I’m planning on +2 on the Mindbenders. Will put me at -7.5. Short bsl and >-7.5cm isn’t for me. I was +2.5cm on my M102s which put me at -9.00cm. I’m +2.5cm on my E104s as well. Got all summer to think about it too.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 08-14-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Hey banditman,

Comparing the M102/K108s to a Mindbender 108Ti....MB is a bit more “enforcerish” I’m assuming. MB is kinda of inbetween the Enforcer 104 and the M102/K108s?

I’m planning on +2.5cm on the Mindbenders. Will put me at -7.25cm. Short bsl and >-7.5cm isn’t for me. I was +2.5cm on my M102s which put me at -9.00cm. Got all summer to think about it too.
    My standard description about the 186 MB108 Ti is that it feels like a blend of the Enforcer 100 (pre 2021) and the Rustler 11. Easy and forgiving like the Enforcer but so capable off piste like the Rustler.

But you asked about the Volkls. The MB108 Ti just feels like a lot less ski than either the M102 or K108. Like the Volkls, it is very capable on groomers and provides a very stable ride, as long as the snow is on the softer side. My 186’s have a 23-m radius, but the soft shovel is capable of producing tighter radius turns. The Volkls have virtually no speed limit on groomers and are stone-cold stable.

The MB108 is really at home in powder. The soft tips allow the ski to float so easily. The Y-frame in the tail creates a loose and smeary feeling. The tails are very easy to slide and break loose, making the ski maneuverable and manageable in bumps and tight terrain. The MB outshines either Volkl in deep, fresh snow.

In variable snow and crud, they aren’t terrible, but the soft tip gets deflected and tends to make you throttle back a bit. The M102 and K108 are much stronger in these conditions and you can rage pretty hard on both.

All three are solid on groomers, fairly loose in soft snow, and damp with nice suspension qualities. The MB is just more easy going, without being a noodle. I suppose you could say that the MB has a hint of playfulness when compared to the Volkls. They are stupid easy to ski (for me) and provide a very versatile ski for a place that gets a lot of snow while requiring lots of groomer skiing to get back to the lift. They make a great Whistler ski for someone who can charge pretty hard but doesn’t want to be on a ski that demands that intensity all the time.

As far as mount point goes, I’m on the line (shocker, I know), and they work great there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I love the mb108ti as a western daily driver. I have plenty of pow skis so these are really for earlier season for me. I have them mounted +2 and love them there. They are very surprisingly good in moguls. Most of my skis are flat or reverse camber. The MBs provide some nice pop and just super fun. Makes me wonder if I shoulda got the 99 version

Found the perfect skis to mount with those blow out Warden 13’s from Evo…

Name:	Image1623171876.085672.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	376678

Found the perfect skis to mount with those blow out Warden 13’s from Evo…

Name:	Image1623171876.085672.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	376678
    Now THAT is sick!

KC and Bandit Man...my biggest qualm with ski whoring is the whole mounting bindings thing. I find it a pain and tiring, it only takes maybe 1.5 hours, but at 10 skis that's a lot... I also get pretty stressed about fucking it up so that adds to the tiring part. How do ya'll manage?

K2 Mindbender Skis

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Now THAT is sick!

KC and Bandit Man...my biggest qualm with ski whoring is the whole mounting bindings thing. I find it a pain and tiring, it only takes maybe 1.5 hours, but at 10 skis that's a lot... I also get pretty stressed about fucking it up so that adds to the tiring part. How do ya'll manage?
    I have factory jigs and a jigarex. My family owned a ski shop and I was a shop rat growing up. Mounted lots of skis in my day and know having the right tools helps a ton.

That being said, I moved to Warden 13 Demos this year for most of my new skis this past season so I could share with Bandit Jr who is now bigger and has a much larger BSL than his old man. Those require a template and more time. I find the centering process to be the most time-intensive but more or less like using a jig once you have that figured out. Oh, and I don’t use a drill press. Just a hand drill and a proper 3.6x9.5 or 4.1x9.5 stepped drilled bit. Drill, tap, glue, and screw.

10-pairs can be a little tedious with a template…

I have factory jigs and a jigarex. My family owned a ski shop and I was a shop rat growing up. Mounted lots of skis in my day and know having the right tools helps a ton.

That being said, I moved to Warden 13 Demos this year for most of my new skis this past season so I could share with Bandit Jr who is now bigger and has a much larger BSL than his old man. Those require a template and more time. I find the centering process to be the most time-intensive but more or less like using a jig once you have that figured out. Oh, and I don’t use a drill press. Just a hand drill and a proper 3.6x9.5 or 4.1x9.5 stepped drilled bit. Drill, tap, glue, and screw.

10-pairs can be a little tedious with a template…
    That makes sense. Yes it's the centering of the paper template, center punching the holes and checking it twice that takes the time. Always gives me nerves.