Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 146
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,222
    Got my first pair of MB116 back from the repair shop and they are absolutely awesome. So much fun in soft snow. Just disappear under your feet with a centered stance.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    480
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Got my first pair of MB116 back from the repair shop
    I wish there was an ON3P build option.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    9
    Been skiing the 108TI and 116C both in a 193 all year in NH. 108TI is my daily driver and 116C is my patrol/pow ski. I cant say enough good about these skis. Both are super stable going either mach-chicken through the woods or just poking around the mountain.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    These showed up today. Looking forward to putting them through the paces at Whistler tomorrow.

    Attachment 317132
    And???

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,240

    K2 Mindbender Skis

    Been a busy week so my initial impressions have been delayed. Let me give it a shot.

    Ski - 186-cm K2 Mindbender 108Ti
    Binding - Salomon STH2 13 mounted on the line
    Boots - Tecnica Cochise 130 DYN
    Skier - 46-yo, skiing since age 5, 5í8Ē, 195-lbs...can bend a ski into a turn
    Conditions- 3Ē-5Ē of new snow, soft groomers, soft variable at Whistler Blackcomb

    My first run of these, the skis felt automatic with a huge sweet spot. As K2 states in the marketing spiel, the front of the ski wants to pull you into the turn and the tail can be broken loose easily. I figured these out on the first run. A little forward pressure in the shovels and you are railing. Tail breaks loose easily, but can stay locked into a turn on firmer snow. Happy on smooth groomers and a very solid carver for a 108-mm waist and 22.9-m turn radius.

    As the day wore on, I kept thinking that the MB108ís feel like a split between my 188 Rustler 11 and 185 Enforcer 100ís. They feel like a wider, bigger ski like the R11, but a slightly narrower version. They also have the accessibility and ease of the Enforcer 100. The big difference between these and the other two skis is the looseness of the MBís tail. It makes these things crave soft snow and they feel right at home there. Skiing the few inches of fresh off the top of Harmony was great. The tips float and the tail is loose. Very stable and handle speed well in soft, untracked conditions. Also skied some soft variable stuff and they were fine there, too. One of the more ďfunĒ skis I have been on in some time off trail. Not as powerful as my 189 Billy Goats, but so nice to be on a 10X width ski that skied such a variety of terrain so well, but was not hooky in deeper snow. I could see how these could be enough ski to be a dedicated powder ski or widest ski in a personís quiver.

    So, what didnít I like? While they reminded me of a narrower Rustler 11, they donít quite have the same top end of the Rustler. Both skis have softer tips and tails than midsections, but it is more pronounced on the MB108. As a result, they deflected more as things got skied out, both on and off piste. So, not a crud crusher...and definitely not at the OG Cochise or Katana level. I suspect that 2021 Katana and Cochise will feel like a whole different level of ski than the MB108.

    Otherwise, not many other complaints. I was skiing with my intermediate level daughter and could enjoy side jaunts of trail and on the steeps or cruise with her on groomers. They were happy, capable, and fun either way. They just have a speed limit.

    My big predicament now is where do these fit in with my Enforcer 110ís. The 110 does everything so well, but the MB is more fun offpiste. The larger radius and looser tail make my heart sing. They ski the way I like to ski. I could see someone pairing these with a narrower all-mtn ski like an Enforcer 93 or Brahma and having all the bases covered. You still get a ski in the MB108 that is capable and quite stable on groomers, but takes it up a notch when things get soft and you venture off trail. Great ski...not a total charger, but more than enough ski for most skiers.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 02-28-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    108
    Man, I had really similar feelings on the MB108 as bandit man. Im a little taller and heavier. Also was on the 186 when I tried it. Got to ride it in about 7Ē of fairly light, fresh snow at Snowmass a few weeks ago. Think it would complement my only other ski at the moment, an older, heavier 180 Brahma that is fun for flying around on groomers and low tide stuff. But the MB108 is such a fun, versatile ski.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    480
    If you like the 186 MB 108 but want an increase in stability, the 193 will do that, while still giving you the loose tail and accessible tips you like. It is a fair bit of ski in the tight bumps, but not too unwieldy in more moderately spaced bumps. If you're all about driving your tips, look elsewhere.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    243
    Not that graphics matter BUT 2021 stuff looks great

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Been a busy week so my initial impressions have been delayed. Let me give it a shot.

    Ski - 186-cm K2 Mindbender 108Ti
    Binding - Salomon STH2 13 mounted on the line
    Boots - Tecnica Cochise 130 DYN
    Skier - 46-yo, skiing since age 5, 5í8Ē, 195-lbs...can bend a ski into a turn
    Conditions- 3Ē-5Ē of new snow, soft groomers, soft variable at Whistler Blackcomb

    My first run of these, the skis felt automatic with a huge sweet spot. As K2 states in the marketing spiel, the front of the ski wants to pull you into the turn and the tail can be broken loose easily. I figured these out on the first run. A little forward pressure in the shovels and you are railing. Tail breaks loose easily, but can stay locked into a turn on firmer snow. Happy on smooth groomers and a very solid carver for a 108-mm waist and 22.9-m turn radius.

    As the day wore on, I kept thinking that the MB108ís feel like a split between my 188 Rustler 11 and 185 Enforcer 100ís. They feel like a wider, bigger ski like the R11, but a slightly narrower version. They also have the accessibility and ease of the Enforcer 100. The big difference between these and the other two skis is the looseness of the MBís tail. It makes these things crave soft snow and they feel right at home there. Skiing the few inches of fresh off the top of Harmony was great. The tips float and the tail is loose. Very stable and handle speed well in soft, untracked conditions. Also skied some soft variable stuff and they were fine there, too. One of the more ďfunĒ skis I have been on in some time off trail. Not as powerful as my 189 Billy Goats, but so nice to be on a 10X width ski that skied such a variety of terrain so well, but was not hooky in deeper snow. I could see how these could be enough ski to be a dedicated powder ski or widest ski in a personís quiver.

    So, what didnít I like? While they reminded me of a narrower Rustler 11, they donít quite have the same top end of the Rustler. Both skis have softer tips and tails than midsections, but it is more pronounced on the MB108. As a result, they deflected more as things got skied out, both on and off piste. So, not a crud crusher...and definitely not at the OG Cochise or Katana level. I suspect that 2021 Katana and Cochise will feel like a whole different level of ski than the MB108.

    Otherwise, not many other complaints. I was skiing with my intermediate level daughter and could enjoy side jaunts of trail and on the steeps or cruise with her on groomers. They were happy, capable, and fun either way. They just have a speed limit.

    My big predicament now is where do these fit in with my Enforcer 110ís. The 110 does everything so well, but the MB is more fun offpiste. The larger radius and looser tail make my heart sing. They ski the way I like to ski. I could see someone pairing these with a narrower all-mtn ski like an Enforcer 93 or Brahma and having all the bases covered. You still get a ski in the MB108 that is capable and quite stable on groomers, but takes it up a notch when things get soft and you venture off trail. Great ski...not a total charger, but more than enough ski for most skiers.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Great detailed review... thanks!

    Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    Just demoed a pair of 186 Mindbender 108ti today at Alpine Meadows and loved every minute. It snowed 4" on top of refrozen crust and in every condition they felt at home. On soft groomers you could drive the shovels and rip wide Super G turns but you could also throw the tails to scrub speed. Off piste they were perfect in soft crud, off drops on late day soft moguls. Everywhere they were stable, predictable, and damp. If you like skis with a rearward, directional mount and the feel fo ŗ ~2200g ski this should be on your list. I almost bought the demos I had but next year's top sheets are nice.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,240
    Had another day on the 186-cm 108 this past Friday at Whistler. 12Ē of fresh but somewhat wind affected snow. So, soft and deep but variable in a few spots. Since I was with two of my intermediate skier kids, I wanted to be on something that would be fun on groomers but would allow me to play off trail.

    I was really impressed with how they handled the deep snow. Float was no problem. They plane well and even with the weird variable spots, they were confidence inspiring. They are totally automatic skis. I love the loose tail and that they still rail groomers. Only drawback is that they arenít as stable as beefier skis when the groomers get beat up. The 12Ē on top of groomers turned to irregular bumps and you need to slow down. Otherwise, super versatile, cheater skis.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Only drawback is that they aren’t as stable as beefier skis when the groomers get beat up. The 12” on top of groomers turned to irregular bumps and you need to slow down. Otherwise, super versatile, cheater skis.
    Is this based mostly on the soft tips? What skis would you rather be on in those conditions?

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    Is this based mostly on the soft tips? What skis would you rather be on in those conditions?
    I think so. They really are a ski that is happiest in soft snow, but handle groomers well. My benchmark is the OG Cochise. They are hard to beat in the conditions that challenge the MB108TI, but arenít happy skiing anything but full throttle. The MB108TI will be better for most ordinary folks.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    108
    Just pulled the trigger on these from Corbettís. Hard to beat that price right now. Sth2 16s for 266 CAD to go with them. Guess this is kind of a PSA, great deal.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    14

    Love them

    I have the 99TI as my resort ski. Even though it might be a powder day they still rip because it's just stiff and easy to maneuver. I would really recommend them.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    3,240
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskierinsf View Post
    I have the 99TI as my resort ski. Even though it might be a powder day they still rip because it's just stiff and easy to maneuver. I would really recommend them.
    What length are you on? Kicking around picking up a pair of 184ís since I like the 186 108 so much.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    18
    PSA There's a guy on Sideline Swap selling some brand new 193cm Mindbender 108s with Pivots for 550 plus shipping. https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing...ok-14-bindings

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    PSA There's a guy on Sideline Swap selling some brand new 193cm Mindbender 108s with Pivots for 550 plus shipping. https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing...ok-14-bindings
    Paging IAS

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

  19. #69
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    27
    Narrowed it down to the Mantra 102 or Mindbender 99 Ti, both in 177 - looking for a ski to take all over the mtn. Have my fat pow ski (Volkl 2s) at 120+ waist and my old 2008 Fischer Cold Heats at 82. Lots of good things about both the Mantra102 and MB here - anything to tip the scales? Heard hard snow - Mantras and soft snow - MB... If it's not a pow day, I'm either skiing with the groms on blues (till they get older) or an annual trip to the Rockies. Want something that's solid on groomers but still good to explore with. Don't care about performance in deep pow as much.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Vil
    Posts
    651
    If anyone is looking for a smoking deal on some 108TIs my local shop has a good selection left at $609.95 with a Griffon 13. No tax, free tune and mount and free shipping if not in Ohio. PM If interested.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by vav925 View Post
    Narrowed it down to the Mantra 102 or Mindbender 99 Ti, both in 177 - looking for a ski to take all over the mtn. Have my fat pow ski (Volkl 2s) at 120+ waist and my old 2008 Fischer Cold Heats at 82. Lots of good things about both the Mantra102 and MB here - anything to tip the scales? Heard hard snow - Mantras and soft snow - MB... If it's not a pow day, I'm either skiing with the groms on blues (till they get older) or an annual trip to the Rockies. Want something that's solid on groomers but still good to explore with. Don't care about performance in deep pow as much.
    Iíd bet you are totally set with either. Skiing them back to back will show differences but after a couple days on either you will be dialed and happy.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    980
    I gotta say the 116c has been growing on me all season. Slowly but surely. Well at first i wasn't sure. +2 for a big guy like myself (250)while managable wasnt ideal on the deep days with the heavy maritime snow we get. Earlier this season i fell in love with the 108 and didnt want to ski anything else but after i remounted the 116 on the line i begin forcing myself to give it another chance and now its all i want to ski. No it isnt a super damp charger that will mobb over everything in its way and being my first ski with carbon took some getting used to some of the energy stored in it, but on one truly deep day we got intimate and since then i have been giving it to her rough ever since. I particularly like the ease at which i can ski them, sometimes i will switch to the 116s from the 108s simply because my legs are tired not because theres fresh pow everywhere... But yeah fresh pow... This ski is designed for fresh pow and it really does what its designed to do.

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I gotta say the 116c has been growing on me all season. Slowly but surely. Well at first i wasn't sure. +2 for a big guy like myself (250)while managable wasnt ideal on the deep days with the heavy maritime snow we get. Earlier this season i fell in love with the 108 and didnt want to ski anything else but after i remounted the 116 on the line i begin forcing myself to give it another chance and now its all i want to ski. No it isnt a super damp charger that will mobb over everything in its way and being my first ski with carbon took some getting used to some of the energy stored in it, but on one truly deep day we got intimate and since then i have been giving it to her rough ever since. I particularly like the ease at which i can ski them, sometimes i will switch to the 116s from the 108s simply because my legs are tired not because theres fresh pow everywhere... But yeah fresh pow... This ski is designed for fresh pow and it really does what its designed to do.

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    The 116c is a fresh pow master, just disappears under your feet and makes life easy. Glad you are loving it.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    I gotta say the 116c has been growing on me all season. Slowly but surely. Well at first i wasn't sure. +2 for a big guy like myself (250)while managable wasnt ideal on the deep days with the heavy maritime snow we get. Earlier this season i fell in love with the 108 and didnt want to ski anything else but after i remounted the 116 on the line i begin forcing myself to give it another chance and now its all i want to ski. No it isnt a super damp charger that will mobb over everything in its way and being my first ski with carbon took some getting used to some of the energy stored in it, but on one truly deep day we got intimate and since then i have been giving it to her rough ever since. I particularly like the ease at which i can ski them, sometimes i will switch to the 116s from the 108s simply because my legs are tired not because theres fresh pow everywhere... But yeah fresh pow... This ski is designed for fresh pow and it really does what its designed to do.

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk
    Why did you decide to mount yours forward?
    I got to demo the 166c last year in a 186 and thought it was a blast at +1, but the 193 would be more in my wheelhouse.

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Why did you decide to mount yours forward?
    I got to demo the 166c last year in a 186 and thought it was a blast at +1, but the 193 would be more in my wheelhouse.
    Because im retarded. 166s?sign me up

    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •