Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Didn't think I would ever buy another K2 ski but I've got a pair of MB108ti being delivered tomorrow. On paper it checks all of the boxes and I got a pretty solid deal on last year's topsheet so pretty low risk/high reward situation.
    You're gonna love em

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kicool View Post
    Skied the k2 116c in a 193cm in whistler and revy in december before I hurt my knee. The rustler 11 in a 192cm is the ski that usually fills that spot.

Skied at eagle pass for 3 days and RMR during storm cycles early dec.

Loved it in soft snow, better than my rustler also more jiby. Found myself doing handrags and such way more on this ski. Felt very balanced and light.

Then skied it at whistler during our low snow late dec. To be completely honest as a bigger guy I completely overpowered this ski ripping roundhouse jump laps and general hot dogging.

Really missed the metal in my R11, that is all. Was back on the blizzards in March once my knee healed and fell back in love with my R11s.
    I have my eyes on the 186 or 193 as a backcounrty ski. For touring the 186 is more appealing. On the other hand, being a bigger guy as well, 6' 225, I'm wondering if the 193 is better suited for my weight and overpowering the ski... Any feedback is appreciated? Do the MB116's ski short?

For reference, my quiver is...

Touring - Volkl 100Eight 189. Good ski but not as nimble as I would like in the trees.
    Alpine: Volkl Katana 191 (dailiy driver), Black Crows Corvus 193, Volkl Shiro 193, Volkl Confession 193
    Last edited by Kirkwood; 12-20-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    I have my on the 186 or 193 as a backcounrty ski. For touring the 186 is more appealing. On the other hand, being a bigger guy as well, 6' 225, I'm wondering if the 193 is better suited for my weight and overpowering the ski... Any feedback is appreciated? Do the MB116's ski short?

Touring - Volkl 100Eight 189. Good ski but not as nimble as I would like in the trees.
    Alpine: Volkl Katana 191 (dailiy driver), Black Crows Corvus 193, Volkl Shiro 193, Volkl Confession 193
    I’m 6-3 190-200 and find the 186 is not too short. It handles tight areas well. The more rearward mount helps I think vs rustler.

I do hope to open them up on big faces during Xmas pow fest. But it does not feel too short especially at high speed run outs. I don’t think I would use it as a charger regardless so shorter makes sense. If I want to charge big faces it’s billy goat, protest or spur anyways.

Right tool for the job which is pow and medium level mobbing around in trees.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I’m 6-3 190-200 and find the 186 is not too short. It handles tight areas well. The more rearward mount helps I think vs rustler.

I do hope to open them up on big faces during Xmas pow fest. But it does not feel too short especially at high speed run outs. I don’t think I would use it as a charger regardless so shorter makes sense. If I want to charge big faces it’s billy goat, protest or spur anyways.

Right tool for the job which is pow and medium level mobbing around in trees.

Thanks for reply. Are your 186’s set up for touring? Do you ever find yourself overpowering the ski?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply. Are your 186’s set up for touring? Do you ever find yourself overpowering the ski?

Set for alpine. They get overwhelmed in heavy crud. Not fold just not Bg plow

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have 100eights as well and they are the most nimble skis I have ever used! That said I have 181s and they are the only full rocker skis I've tried and you clearly have more experience. What skis are more nimble than the 100eights?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I have 100eights as well and they are the most nimble skis I have ever used! That said I have 181s and they are the only full rocker skis I've tried and you clearly have more experience. What skis are more nimble than the 100eights?
    Based on my quiver, I find the 191 Katana's (OG metal version, still have 2-pairs unmounted ) and the 193 Shiros more nimble, both are mounted +2. Granted I'm skiing them wearing a traditional alpine boot (Head Raptor 140).

My 100Eights were mounted +2 and they felt unstable and too soft. Re-mounted the bindings (Kingpins) on the factory line and found them more stable and better suited for my size. Keeping in mind the 100Eights are my touring skis, I don't find them as playful (flickable) in low angle or tight trees as I want. In fact, at slow speed they feel grabby to me. As a point of reference, my touring boot is a Scarpa Maestrale XT.

I keep reading posts about the MB116 being a fun super nimble as well and not a charger, what I'm looking for in a fat touring ski. The biggest concern is wondering if the 186 will be a noodle under my weight.
    Last edited by Kirkwood; 12-20-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Thats super interesting, mine are mounted +0.5cm with STH skied with inbounds boots and feel unbelievably quick. I'm only 145lbs so they are plenty stiff for me. I actually have skied another full rocker ski, the Black Crows Daemon in 183 and found the 100eight to be light years better in trees/tight terrain. I would guess length makes a big difference, 181 vs 189 or I just need to try the Shiros and Katanas

Does anyone know the 186 straight pull measurement from the tip to the recommended mount center line?

Does anyone know the 186 straight pull measurement from the tip to the recommended mount center line?

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Just confirmed. Straight pull I got 102.87cm to the labeled amount.

Based on my quiver, I find the 191 Katana's (OG metal version, still have 2-pairs unmounted ) and the 193 Shiros more nimble, both are mounted +2. Granted I'm skiing them wearing a traditional alpine boot (Head Raptor 140).

My 100Eights were mounted +2 and they felt unstable and too soft. Re-mounted the bindings (Kingpins) on the factory line and found them more stable and better suited for my size. Keeping in mind the 100Eights are my touring skis, I don't find them as playful (flickable) in low angle or tight trees as I want. In fact, at slow speed they feel grabby to me. As a point of reference, my touring boot is a Scarpa Maestrale XT.

I keep reading posts about the MB116 being a fun super nimble as well and not a charger, what I'm looking for in a fat touring ski. The biggest concern is wondering if the 186 will be a noodle under my weight.
    Go 193

I have my eyes on the 186 or 193 as a backcounrty ski. For touring the 186 is more appealing. On the other hand, being a bigger guy as well, 6' 225, I'm wondering if the 193 is better suited for my weight and overpowering the ski... Any feedback is appreciated? Do the MB116's ski short?

I’m 6-3 225, we ski the same boot, and like a lot of the same skis. The Shiro was my go to pow ski for a few years. I love the 194 Kaestle MX 98 and the 193 BMX 116. I had an old pair of Katanas and didn’t love them, the Confessions were alright, and at that time they didn’t make me want to give up my Shiros.

My touring ski is the 193cm MB 116C with Kingpin 13s, and if they were a tad more durable, it would be my resort pow ski too. It’s not too big, it’s not too heavy. If you like driving a big powerful ski, which your quiver leads me to believe, you will over ski the 186.

I did a 3 mile tour in Tahoe last weekend with my MB116c and was really happy. I have skied them inbounds and for resort access backcountry when either my feet need a rest day from my Raptor 140s, or we are going on a big adventure. I rarely wish I had a shorter/lighter/different ski with me.

I will say, I wish K2 made the 193cm MB116c in a 193cm 106-108mm wide ski. That would be my touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’m 6-3 225, we ski the same boot, and like a lot of the same skis. The Shiro was my go to pow ski for a few years. I love the 194 Kaestle MX 98 and the 193 BMX 116. I had an old pair of Katanas and didn’t love them, the Confessions were alright, and at that time they didn’t make me want to give up my Shiros.

My touring ski is the 193cm MB 116C with Kingpin 13s, and if they were a tad more durable, it would be my resort pow ski too. It’s not too big, it’s not too heavy. If you like driving a big powerful ski, which your quiver leads me to believe, you will over ski the 186.

I did a 3 mile tour in Tahoe last weekend with my MB116c and was really happy. I have skied them inbounds and for resort access backcountry when either my feet need a rest day from my Raptor 140s, or we are going on a big adventure. I rarely wish I had a shorter/lighter/different ski with me.

I will say, I wish K2 made the 193cm MB116c in a 193cm 106-108mm wide ski. That would be my touring ski.

This is great feedback, Thanks! I tour mostly on Tahoe’s west shore and yes, my ski form and preference is driving my skis. I don’t want another front side setup which is the point where I’m conflicted b/c touring (mostly around Tahoe), I ski for the adventure, less for the rush and drive my skis less at the lower elevations considering the dense trees and as the snow quality changes. Besides, given our drive style at higher elevations we might get a handful of turns 1/2 down Tallac. HA!

Given your time on the 193 MB116, is it maneuverable at chill speeds and in the trees? Thinking about my shorter legs, And how’s kick turning the 193 on the technical ups?

K2 Mindbender Skis

This is great feedback, Thanks! I tour mostly on Tahoe’s west shore and yes, my ski form and preference is driving my skis. I don’t want another front side setup which is the point where I’m conflicted b/c touring (mostly around Tahoe), I ski for the adventure, less for the rush and drive my skis less at the lower elevations considering the dense trees and as the snow quality changes. Besides, given our drive style at higher elevations we might get a handful of turns 1/2 down Tallac. HA!

Given your time on the 193 MB116, is it maneuverable at chill speeds and in the trees? Thinking about my shorter legs, And how’s kick turning the 193 on the technical ups?

Our tour/skin last week was up the fire road that’s East of Fallen Leaf Lake, looking east was the Caldera fire burn, and west was Tallac, haha, small world. I did look up at Tallac more then once and dream about coming down it on a nice stable pow day.

Remember they aren’t a Volkl, so you can drive them, but you can also relax on the MB116c. My skiing style has evolved over the past few years to where I’m slightly more upright but get forward and aggressive when I need to be. The 116c are fine, but they aren’t a Volkl, remember that.

I do ski then with Langes XT Free Pros, with a stiffer cork liner, and a WC booster strap. I wouldn’t ski them with a much softer boot, but that’s just me. I probably could of made it work with my old TLT6Ps, but it would of been interesting.

Kick turns, tbh I’ve really only ever toured on a 193 so I don’t know the joy of kick turning on smaller skis. Just make big steps. Find a slightly mellower spot to turn, and maybe a bit of yoga! Haha

You’ll be fine. Enjoy ripping around!

Heard they are revamping the line, and news about the changes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5(1).jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	400728
    Here's a photo from the Out of Bounds podcast instagram story of the new topsheets and a mention of "construction changes."

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post

Here's a photo from the Out of Bounds podcast instagram story of the new topsheets and a mention of "construction changes."
    Huh, sidewalls look... taller?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post

If you look closely on the ski, the “Titianal Y-Frame” appears to have an updated shape. The ends of the “Y” have a new shape, like there is more mass/metal towards the ends. Looks different than my MB108’s. Not sure what else might have changed.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I won't be happy until they put metal in the 116s .

K2 Mindbender Skis

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

Ironically I think that would ruin the 116 🤷, but the 116c is my pow touring ski and just about perfect.

I’d like a non-metal version of the 193 108 to tour on, call it the 108C. Those with a Kingpin, maybe even a smaller tech binding, and I’d be set for a while.

Last edited by skibrd; 01-12-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

you'll have to buy the Line version instead (the new 114 metal ski)

Name:	3558EE7C-5884-4038-BA80-12212072126A.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	400794

Not MB related but is this a way back replacement? I noticed somewhere the mb boot has taken the dispatch name.
    Harvest the ride.

What’s with all the tiger stripe graphics?

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

The dispatch comes in a 101, 110 and 120mm.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk