Nomad 105 length

Do nomads ski short like a Kartel or bibby etc? Buddy who isn’t on here is looking at em and is torn between sizes. He’s coming off 184ish SN100.

Yes. A 181 Nomad actually measures around 179 or so. There is a lot of rocker tip and tail so they pivot easily. There is minimal sidecut taper though, so once on edge the effective edge length is fairly long. But they have a pretty short turn radius. Overall they are pretty damn easy to ski and you can ski them long.

They def look interesting, any opinion on durability? Bummer there’s such a huge gap in size, seems a 186 would be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Campbell View Post
    They def look interesting, any opinion on durability? Bummer there’s such a huge gap in size, seems a 186 would be perfect
    My (11/12 or 12/13) Gypsies (now Nomad 125 or something) are very solid, bomber even.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Icelantic skis are built in the Never Summer factory. They are well made, and generally better durability than most mass produced brands, but they aren't using the highest end materials that some of the boutique manufacturers are. Ptex sidewalls instead of UHMW, thinner bases than ON3P or Praxis, etc. They're good skis for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Icelantic skis are built in the Never Summer factory. They are well made, and generally better durability than most mass produced brands, but they aren't using the highest end materials that some of the boutique manufacturers are. Ptex sidewalls instead of UHMW, thinner bases than ON3P or Praxis, etc. They're good skis for sure.
    So a step down in materials from moment? I’ve been trying to talk him into either the Tahoe, PBJ or Bibby

So a step down in materials from moment? I’ve been trying to talk him into either the Tahoe, PBJ or Bibby
    Everyone is going to have their own opinion on this, but when we talk about durability the only thing that really matters to MOST people is how thick and hard the bases are. I'm pretty sure Moment's bases are thinner than ON3P. Not sure how they compare to Praxis and Icelantic. Most people don't crack sidewalls. I do think Moment's build quality is probably a little better than Icelantic's, but not in a way that most people are ever going to notice. The stuff coming out of the NS factory is solid.

Do nomads ski short like a Kartel or bibby etc? Buddy who isn’t on here is looking at em and is torn between sizes. He’s coming off 184ish SN100.
    I'm 6' 170lbs and the 184 Bibby Pro feels fine. However, my 105 Nomads felt short at times at 181. If I bought another pair I would gi with the 191.

Nomad 105 length

I've owned both Moments and Icelantics. Both are quality builds.

Currently I've got 2 pairs of 2017-18 181cm Icelantic Nomads....the 181 Nomad 105 (140-105-130) and 181!Nomad 115 (150-115-140) widths. I'm 5'7" and the 181cm Nomads mounted at -5.5 on the 105 and -6 on the 115 ski about perfect. It seems I never have a bad day on the Nomads. If it’s bony they rip groomers or chalky steeps. They float great in pow, easy to smear. Not super chargy but they always get the job done well. The 105 could be a one ski quiver. My gal rips 177cm Icelantic Maidens. She's 5'6".

If you’re < 5’10” get the 181s. They float like crazy, the minimal (2mm camber) is pretty easy to throw sideways, but can also rip groomers with their deep side cut. Ie. a 140mm tip vs 105mm waist on Nomad 105 and 150mm tip vs 115mm waist on Nomad 115 is a healthy difference....they can rip groomers when you lay them over and the tip and tails bite. No tip/tail taper which freaks some out. The tips just keep getting bigger to the end of the ski. The 115 tips are huge. Same dimensions as my old LibTech NAS Pows. But I like it as you can “feel” your tips holding on when the ski is sliding sideways. Good in sketch areas.

I like their top sheets too:
    Name:  IMG_4616.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  275.6 KB
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-30-2019 at 01:33 PM.

I should add that I really liked my nomads, great ski for billy goating steep complex terrain and so fun in the powder. I definitely would have kept them if they had been a bit longer. They were fine in powder/off piste but seemed a little short and squirrelly on groomed/firm at times. One thing to be aware of is that the waist measures closer to 110.

IMHO- don’t spend time thinking about their quality of build. They are better in that regard than 90% of brands out there. Not to mention they have a 2 yr warranty. I would spend more time thinking about shape and flex is what you are looking for. Love my Discontinued Keepers, but never clicked with my Nomads. Take it fwiw. I tele though, so my opinion is stupid
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Nomad 105 probably a better daily driver than bibby I’d imagine?

dd d d

Nomad 105 probably a better daily driver than bibby I’d imagine?
    Bearing in mind that I am skiing with a free heel, the Nomad seemed more one dimensional to me. It excelled at steeper, slower, technical terrain and floated very well in powder. The Bibby doesn't seem quite as quick between trees in soft or in maneuvering tighter terrain but seems to be a match for the Nomad everywhere else and is much better at blasting through leftovers. I have also been really impressed with how well the Bibbys handle groomers and firmer snow. Better than the Nomad IMO but a longer length Nomad may have mitigated that difference and helped in chop as well. If you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow that stays soft for a while, the Nomad is not a bad option, but I would choose a Wildcat over the Nomad. That being said, if I didn't have a quiver, I would probably be looking at one of the new 105-108 incarnations for a DD.