Tahoe AT setup, viability of existing gear?

Hi all. Lapsed (resort) skier and current snowshoer here trying to break into the world of AT/touring. There is a club out in Colfax that I'd like to start doing some stuff with.

From my equipment stash (I make no representations for their suitability for any purpose, heh), I have a pair of 2009 Volkl Gotamas (last of the flat goats) in 176mm, mounted with Marker Barons, and BD Ascension skins. I also have a pair of BD Prime boots. This skis were mostly used back-when (2010?) for resort duty (w/alpine boots), which I felt were both insufficiently stable on packed, and insufficiently floaty in deep than I would have liked. I think this might have much to do with my reluctance to mount them on the back line. My error, obviously.

I got exactly one day on the Primes and the skis as an AT setup, and it was quite piggy. But I really didn't really expect otherwise... although the circumstances of all this killed quite a bit of enthusiasm.

Right now, I'm in my mid-40's, 5'8", 185#.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to lose the Barons and put on some Salomon/Atomic Shift MNCs, Marker Kingpins, or something else?

Because aside from knowing that goats and its 105mm waist have been generally viable for AT... I really don't know if the size I have is suitable for my height/weight. On the one hand I suspect I am too heavy for 176mm skis... on the other I have been advised that a little shorter is better for AT (if not only for weight reasons).

Any insight/opinions would be appreciated.

Your gear is ok, assuming the boots fit.

I would get the Salomon mtn binding, or atomic, they make the same binding.

Bomber, light and really simple

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Thanks, rod9301. Picked those up and will put them in with some threaded inserts for the likelihood that I'll want to share them with lighter, skinnier sticks later down the line.

My wide, high-volume feet works ok with the Primes (like, not love), although I'm definitely open to newer if the bug really bites.

(Apologies to the mods for initially posting this in the wrong forum. JONG move, right?)

I think you're in the right forum.

Gear sounds good to go for now. Upgrade boots before skis, IMO. Newer AT boots would be a significant step up from Primes/Quadrants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Upgrade boots before skis, IMO.
    +1

So Salomon MTN bindings in-hand. The question then goes to, "where should I mount them?"

So here's the prior incarnation of these '09 176cm Volkl Gotamas (again, last of the flat ones):

• They were sized for a 5'8" skier at 155lbs.
    • They were mounted 1.5cm forward of boot center with frame bindings.
    • Despite aspirations, they were primarily used as resort skis.
    • This setup didn't really keep their tips up in powder without me getting on the tails.

The new incarnation needs to deal with:
    • They are being mounted with low-tech bindings (the forementioned Salomon MTNs) for touring in Sierra cement. This time I'm pretty sure it will be biased out of the resort.
    • They are still for a 5'8" skier. But I must've have ingested a small child over the years as I am now a whole 30 pounds heavier at 185lbs.
    • The only hucking I will do is accidental.
    • The existing binding holes constrains mounting to either ~8mm forward of boot center, or >1.5cm aft of boot center.

Where do you guys think I should mount them?

The conservative approach would be the ~8mm forward of boot center (as it's the lesser change between the two options), but given the significant change with everything else (application, skier weight, plus less-than-total-satisfaction with the prior configuration)... it might call for >1.5cm aft of boot center?

Do people actually ski Volkls aft of marked? It seems that most people ski them forward of marked. Where do people ski Volkls in a touring context?

Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    So Salomon MTN bindings in-hand. The question then goes to, "where should I mount them?"

So here's the prior incarnation of these '09 176cm Volkl Gotamas (again, last of the flat ones):

• They were sized for a 5'8" skier at 155lbs.
    • They were mounted 1.5cm forward of boot center with frame bindings.
    • Despite aspirations, they were primarily used as resort skis.
    • This setup didn't really keep their tips up in powder without me getting on the tails.

The new incarnation needs to deal with:
    • They are being mounted with low-tech bindings (the forementioned Salomon MTNs) for touring in Sierra cement. This time I'm pretty sure it will be biased out of the resort.
    • They are still for a 5'8" skier. But I must've have ingested a small child over the years as I am now a whole 30 pounds heavier at 185lbs.
    • The only hucking I will do is accidental.
    • The existing binding holes constrains mounting to either ~8mm forward of boot center, or >1.5cm aft of boot center.

Where do you guys think I should mount them?

The conservative approach would be the ~8mm forward of boot center (as it's the lesser change between the two options), but given the significant change with everything else (application, skier weight, plus less-than-total-satisfaction with the prior configuration)... it might call for >1.5cm aft of boot center?

Do people actually ski Volkls aft of marked? It seems that most people ski them forward of marked. Where do people ski Volkls in a touring context?
    8mm forward sounds right

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

So I used to have gotama at 5'8 and 165lb, I skied them in 183cm length on the line and they were fine.

I think if the boots work use them. A new boot isnt going to give you much and if you high volume it may be hard to fit.

Honestly I would get longer skis, with a more modern shape.