Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Dying Breed: 190+, ~108w, >25mR & Metal

What's left of this dying breed?

190+ length
    108ish waist
    >25M Radius
    Metal

Blizzard Cochise 192 - I had the OG 193s. LOVED them. Sold them like an idiot.
    K2 Mindbender 108Ti 193 - Excited for more info on these.
    ON3P Metalgades - Excited to see these produced. Not much info out there...
    BlackCrows Corvus 193 - 21m radius scares me...
    Dynastar Legend Pro 192 - Really want these. Only limited release. Impossible to find.
    Volkl Mantra 102 - Excited for more info on these. Hopefully they make them long enough.
    Faction Dictator 3.0 192 - Skied these. Chattery at high speed due to the weight. Would be a great heavy touring / sidecountry charger...
    Enforcer 100 193 - 20m radius? Too soft? Too skinny?

I get why it is hard to find these skis. But if you are larger human, like to ski fast, and ski at the bigger resorts with room to run... there is no substitute.

I have a hole in my quiver I am trying to fill.....
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Reality is, most people can't handle a ski like that anymore. Those of us who like them mostly buy them used or on clearance or pro deal. People are not going in to ski shops asking for anything on the above list. They are asking, what ski is going to be easy and let me have fun on groomers and little bit of pow that I can tour on 3 days a year with my comfort fit crossover boots?

Notes on the skis...

192 Legend Pro 105 will be available for purchase next year in a very limited quantity. Might be a few pair this year as well... stay tuned.

You should take the Enforcer 100 off the list. Noodle, imho.

Cochise is still straight, haven't skied a recent version so no idea if it's been ruined by lightweight construction.

Corvus could be a contender. 21m radius though. Haven't skied it. Plenty of heft though.

ON3P Wren 108 is promising and a good damp ski even without metal.

(nothing wrong with buying some XXLs or Pro Riders on gearswap.)

I have these for sale in a major herd thinning... finishing the posting tonight.

Good luck to whomever ends up riding the 191 Wrens.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I have these for sale in a major herd thinning... finishing the posting tonight.
    my prediction is that all the rad, metal, chargey, TGR hardmen skis in that pile won't sell.

Because even TGR hardmen want an easy going pow surfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post

Cochise is still straight, haven't skied a recent version so no idea if it's been ruined by lightweight construction.
    What lightweight construction? Still 2.5 sheets of metal and I think they’re actually heavier now than the original construction.

The sheets of metal still extend to the end of the ski, the carbon just reinforces the end of the ski more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by couchsending View Post
    What lightweight construction? Still 2.5 sheets of metal and I think they’re actually heavier now than the original construction.

The sheets of metal still extend to the end of the ski, the carbon just reinforces the end of the ski more than anything.
    I haven't skied it, I know people didn't like the newer version of the Bonefide and Bodacious with the carbon construction. It seems like most skis recently have been put on a diet. Not sure if the Blizzards are in that camp or not.

Still looks like a long radius 108 underfoot charger ski to me.

I have this years bonafide and they are very stable. I also own the arne backstrom bodacious all blacks.

Minus the metal part, the Prior Husume fits your criteria:

* 109 waist
    * 193 length
    * 27m radius
    * Maple/aspen core to handle the chop

I'm hoping to be on a pair of 188s by the end of the week. Looking forward to seeing where they take me.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Cochise is basically the only one left in that group. The newer version is IMO better than the OG, better edge hold and dampening if you're inclined to ski it every day. I personally don't see the use in having a ski that wide on hardpack but people do weirder shit nowadays.

Agree that the enforcer 100 should be struck. Its a decent ski, but trembles when driven hard at speed even in the 193. Its a charger for people who think the soul 7 is skiable.

Per the black crows: I've been saying this for years, if you need a 21m radius, you don't need a 193. Stupid to see skis with long running lengths and short sidecuts. I will fight people over this statement.

Armada Invictus 108. It’s a long 188 with a flat tail, and 26m turn radius. It rips. Also gone from the catalog next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
    Minus the metal part, the Prior Husume fits your criteria:

* 109 waist
    * 193 length
    * 27m radius
    * Maple/aspen core to handle the chop

I'm hoping to be on a pair of 188s by the end of the week. Looking forward to seeing where they take me.
    I have some 193 Husumes. The heavier non carbon version. It’s a fun ski but does not have the burly mountain slayer feel of my 197 katanas or other metal lam boards.

I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. At Kirkwood or trees/steeps kinda places I do like the slashy pivoty feel of my Quixotes or other modern biggish boards, but at Mammoth (for example) there’s just something about a long metal lam ski that just feels so right.

I’m just glad I’ve been able to stockpile so many skis in the 194-7cm range with decent girth.

Agree that newer Cochise is better than the old, and not a light ski by any stretch. The new ones initiate turns more easily and are quicker/more responsive while giving up little or no stability/dampness. Much more fun in trees and bumps than the OG's, yet just as capable at busting crud or slarving through refrozen crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Head Richies?

Great ski!!!!!!

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Are those asssteroids full rocker?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

The Argent Badger seems to fit your most criteria: full length and width stainless steel (not titanal), 107 underfoot, comes in a 194, and has a stated radius of 36 m (although this radius seems fishy looking at the shape of the ski). Only caveat is that the recommended mount is -1.4 from centre...
    Here is Blister's first look, I'm interested to hear more about the ski: https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...-argent-badger

I own the Enforcer 100, strike it from the list, too soft. The 93 is actually the chargery enforcer and is much stiffer especially in the tail. I own both...along with other stuff, both are soft compared to my 187cm Bonafide(which is more ski than a 193cm E100)

PM Caucasian Asian... He had a pair of 192 XXL for sale that I think he only posted in the Canadian Rockies thread... But he may be willing to ship.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ View Post
    stainless steel... radius of 36 m.... mount is -1.4 from centre...
    What could go wrong?

I’m full hot on the new Corvus. The older one probably has more heft - new one has metal. I ski the 188 and find it to be a shifty ripper that makes every turn shape. If you told me it had a 25m radius I’d believe you. With the rocker / flat under foot design- I’m usually skiing bases flat making big arcs in the open or on a swivel in bumps and trees. Smokes the Wren 108 for my style and I had those in 184 & 189. Reminds me of Cochise & OG Bodacious

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    I’m full hot on the new Corvus. The older one probably has more heft - new one has metal. I ski the 188 and find it to be a shifty ripper that makes every turn shape. If you told me it had a 25m radius I’d believe you. With the rocker / flat under foot design- I’m usually skiing bases flat making big arcs in the open or on a swivel in bumps and trees. Smokes the Wren 108 for my style and I had those in 184 & 189. Reminds me of Cochise & OG Bodacious
    The more I hear you preach the gospel on these and the more I read makes me want a pair. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The more I hear you preach the gospel on these and the more I read makes me want a pair. Ugh.
    You can try mine sometime and judge. Buying them was a net po$itive for me. Replaced/sold 4 skis in quiver

That sounds like an awesome PNW daily driver. People in other locales don’t have to deal with deep mank the way we do which is why skis like the Rockered Katana and OG Cochise work so well here. These sound like a better version of both.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

You can try mine sometime and judge. Buying them was a net po$itive for me. Replaced/sold 4 skis in quiver
    Whoah, that's impressive.
    The most quiver consolidation I've gotten is one in, two out.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Phuck yeah.