Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Whoah, that's impressive.
    The most quiver consolidation I've gotten is one in, two out.
    You know how we do; grab too many skis in effort to try em out. Had a mid 100 overlap. Similar to my 116 zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    That sounds like an awesome PNW daily driver. People in other locales don’t have to deal with deep mank the way we do which is why skis like the Rockered Katana and OG Cochise work so well here. These sound like a better version of both.
    These fit in that conversation for sure and agree to your marine climate / ski shape - call. I do feel like these would excel most anywhere though. I wouldn't claim them to be dying breed class in the sense of challenging monster that rewards power and perfection. Find them very skiable, stable, and nimble. If you get more than a foot of dense snow you wont mistake them for BGs but they handle it better than most in their category.

You definitely need to find a 191 Head Monster 108.

How does Kastle bmx105 HP compare? Not 190+ and shorter radius, which seems odd... got interesting (positive) feedback from a friend this weekend on the longest fx95HP.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    BlackCrows Corvus 193 - 21m radius scares me...
    Remember these are fully reverse camber now... which IMO means the radius is less indicative of turn shape than on a traditional profile.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How does Kastle bmx105 HP compare? Not 190+ and shorter radius, which seems odd... got interesting (positive) feedback from a friend this weekend on the longest fx95HP.
    I ski a 189 FX95 HP too - it’s silky smooth, fast, and loose for its category. Like it more than the older BMX108 I had. Think the newer 105 might be worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by east bear fr View Post
    You definitely need to find a 191 Head Monster 108.
    Damn have I been looking. Either the 108 or the 98. They’re unicorns in 191
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The FX104 (which the BMX HP replaced in ~2016) is absolutely in this class. 26 meter radius and the heaviest feeling 2,300 gram ski I have ever used. I think I saw a pair in gear swap and own a pair as well. They work really well but I don't love the full camber profile in a ski of this width.

The BMX HP I am not sure about - I think they added a bit of metal and put some rocker in the tail. I am not sure if it is better or worse, conceptually that set of changes sounds good to me but the pair I have is so far from loose I'm a bit skeptical.

Friend has 189 fx95HP, which replaced older full camber stockli Schmidt pro model, which replaced 198 volkl g4 (or g41 - the green ones) as daily driver. His input: fast, smooth, stable, no speed limit, loves big turns, but more nimble and forgiving than the stocklis. He did not feel inhibited by the shorter radius (still makes big radius turns and does not feel odd in steep techie terrain) or length. His shortest ski since the 80’s. Not sure how well this translates to the bmx hp.

I still own a BMX 105 HP in 189, 1st gen with the green sidewalls. Stability wise definitely in the same league as metal Katana, OG Cochise or Bodacious. Damp and smooth, no speed limit. However, the BMX has a fair amount of camber and isn’t as loose as the before mentioned skis. The 2nd gen with the orange sidewalls thou has „low camber profile“, thus might be less locked into turn.

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    I still own a BMX 105 HP in 189, 1st gen with the green sidewalls. Stability wise definitely in the same league as metal Katana, OG Cochise or Bodacious. Damp and smooth, no speed limit. However, the BMX has a fair amount of camber and isn’t as loose as the before mentioned skis. The 2nd gen with the orange sidewalls thou has „low camber profile“, thus might be less locked into turn.
    Is that why you are selling yours?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    Is that why you are selling yours?
    Well, I like the BMXs a lot but have no real use for them anymore. To many skis and I usually stick to skis >110 waist nowadays for more versatility. We had a pretty good snow coverage in the last two years. In a low tide season this might change, though.

I really enjoy my line supernatural 108s - nice to have a little camber underfoot compared to the OG Cochise which seemed to be nearly flat underfoot.

The Dying Breed: 190+, ~108w, >25mR & Metal

I just picked up some 2017 189 bmx105 HPs. I like em a lot but I was surprised they ski shorter and softer than I expected (replaced an old 97mm pro rider). I definitely am skiing more over my toes than my tips. Sounds like you want to find an rc112 that someone stumbles on in a garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Damn have I been looking. Either the 108 or the 98. They’re unicorns in 191
    You still can find 98 available in 191 online, brand new, in Europe. Not the 108.

Moment just released next years Commander 108 will come in a 194cm. Radius on the 188 is 21m so I don’t think it will hit your 25m number probably more like 23m

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    What's left of this dying breed?

190+ length
    108ish waist
    >25M Radius
    Metal

Blizzard Cochise 192 - I had the OG 193s. LOVED them. Sold them like an idiot.
    K2 Mindbender 108Ti 193 - Excited for more info on these.
    ON3P Metalgades - Excited to see these produced. Not much info out there...
    BlackCrows Corvus 193 - 21m radius scares me...
    Dynastar Legend Pro 192 - Really want these. Only limited release. Impossible to find.
    Volkl Mantra 102 - Excited for more info on these. Hopefully they make them long enough.
    Faction Dictator 3.0 192 - Skied these. Chattery at high speed due to the weight. Would be a great heavy touring / sidecountry charger...
    Enforcer 100 193 - 20m radius? Too soft? Too skinny?

I get why it is hard to find these skis. But if you are larger human, like to ski fast, and ski at the bigger resorts with room to run... there is no substitute.

I have a hole in my quiver I am trying to fill.....
    Do any mags have intel about the Metalgades? Are they going to be like 11 Wrens + metal I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    Do any mags have intel about the Metalgades? Are they going to be like 11 Wrens + metal I assume?
    I think that's the idea. I'm guessing they will top out at 189cm based on ON3P's MO of late, but of course that's like 192cm for a lot of brands based on how they measure length.

Quote Originally Posted by Blodhemn View Post
    Minus the metal part, the Prior Husume fits your criteria:

* 109 waist
    * 193 length
    * 27m radius
    * Maple/aspen core to handle the chop

I'm hoping to be on a pair of 188s by the end of the week. Looking forward to seeing where they take me.
    Prior skis are long for the size. The 188’s are more like most brands 190’s so I imagine the 193’s are massive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east bear fr View Post
    You still can find 98 available in 191 online, brand new, in Europe. Not the 108.
    Link?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Kinda sorta with this thread's theme, are there any good twin-tip bidirectional charging skis with metal in them?

I’ll never let go of my 3 pairs of 192 black and blue BD Zealots or 188 RC112 or 10/11 191 wren... 185 vicik is a fun chargey one as well - usually rip it while teaching the girlfriend on her Myriad 85s. Nothing else out there really screaming. Would be nice to get a 193 confession with a 108 waist.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    I know I took this up in the ON3P thread, but why would wren + metal mean a change in rocker profile? I have seen absolutely nothing from ON3P indicating as much - to the contrary Scott has been saying again and again how much the like the current shape of those models. He has also stated that the main thing they have been working on is dialing core thickness, where it seems like most other things are staying the same/similar. I might be mistaken though, and it might have been hiding in plain sight for all I know. A flatter tail might make the ski charge harder on hard snow, but then again, Scott's primary focus is soft snow performance ref his latest replies in the ON3P thread

These are 188cm, but are pretty close to the rest of the requirements.

https://deviationusa.com/product/function/

I have their Modes and really like them, but I haven’t skied the Functions.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The more I hear you preach the gospel on these and the more I read makes me want a pair. Ugh.
    Luke’s preaching the truth. The ‘19 Corvus is so damn good/versatile. My DD used to be a 194 Devastator but the 188 Corvus is better in just about every way. I wouldn’t be scared off by the 21m radius - like TahoeJ said the flat camber let’s em ski big
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 02-03-2019 at 09:03 AM.