Best AT boot for slack

Maybe I didn’t search JONG to see if this is already covered.

That said my season is over and I am spending this winter fantasizing about gear rather than using it.

I’m looking for a boot that works with shift bindings so needs to be compatible with regular downhill binders and has dynafit or like toe sockets.

Priorities for me are:

Downhill like performance

Can be heavier - Higher ranking for mass to bust thru crud over weight savings

Somewhat comfortable at least when touring - Still using these for long approaches

Better flex characteristics

I really liked the Dalbello AX120 for example but feared they may be too soft of a flex for my 200# frame.

They don’t need the lightest sexiest materials. If PU has a better flex than carbon for the frame for instance - I’m ok with that. Another example - Vulcans were almost too severe in terms of the flex in the spine. I felt like they were way too rigid. The mercury was nicer / less severe but I still didn’t love that cuff notch design overall.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

best boot = the one that fits YOU

nordica strider might match most of the other things your want

or just get CAST inserts in your alpine boots.

Sounds like you want a "hybrid" boot, like the Tecnica Cochise, Lange XT, K2 Pinnacle, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    or just get CAST inserts in your alpine boots.
    expect this part...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Somewhat comfortable at least when touring - Still using these for long approaches
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Possibly Salomon s/lab mtn might work for you. A lot lighter than most of the other mentioned boot and still fairly stiff

With the number of options on the market these days, this is a lot like asking what alpine boot is best.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I really liked the Dalbello AX120 for example but feared they may be too soft of a flex for my 200# frame.
    Dalbello Lupo Factory ?

Yeah that looks nice but goddamn is that expensive and think the carbon spine (besides $) may be too stiff for my needs. I went back to gear rumors thread and see there is a PU dalbello for next season. That could work if it’s still krypton like in construction. I can’t tell but the 130 C looks like it will still be around next year as well. That could work.

Always understand that there are myriad choices and that fit is crucial. Asking the questions just out of curiosity. I know the what car next or phone next threads are similar- everyone has an opinion and I need to parse through the things I may like or dislike.

For me I know I don’t fit scarpa well historically. I did fit the Vulcan well. I also find the dalbello at boots to fit ok but I love the flex of cabrio and am willing to work to get the boot to fit with a good boot fitter.

The 130C is very, very stiff. Stiffer than many 130 alpine boots for sure (haven't there been a number of Dalbellos that are stiffer than usual?). But there are so many good choices now compared to even 2 years ago. Lange now has 140 flex and low volume versions of the XT. The Cochises aren't shaped as much like a kleenex box as they used to be. I'm in Hawx XTD's. Can't believe how well they fit and ski for the weight (liners in the 130's are trash, though). Scarpa has an even stiffer version of the Maestrale coming. Go try em all on.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    just get CAST inserts in your alpine boots.
    This, and for real touring days use your real touring setup.