Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting older getting colder

I think I need a pair of lightly insulated ski pants. Been getting cold for the first time of my life. Not sure if it’s because I’m 38 now or because I lost 40 pounds but I’m getting cold in 20 degrees. I’ve even started skiing in a primaloft jacket. What lightly insulated pants are the mags rocking these days?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    jeans
    All my jeans are too big I lost weight.

I grabbed these just in case - don’t need to own a second set of insulated ski pants or layer up heavy with extra merino layers. They take the edge off for sure and seem less bulky than fully insulated - https://www.backcountry.com/haglofs-...knee-pant-mens

And you can find them cheaper if needed, but when I grabbed in September were only $68. I’m a 35-36” waist and larger is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by PNWcement; 01-27-2019 at 01:35 AM.

I’ve been wanting to look for a 3/4 insulated pant layer. I’ve almost started a thread after searching.
    My criteria is 3/4 length, synthetic insulation, and full side zips so you can put them on (like the bra out the armpit trick) while still wearing your outer shells.
    Helly Hansen Storm Pant.
    https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_se/st...ant-full-65573

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    and full side zips so you can put them on (like the bra out the armpit trick) while still wearing your outer shells.
    I can’t even imagine how that would work with pants. Bras, yes. Post a TR when you get it dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I can’t even imagine how that would work with pants. Bras, yes. Post a TR when you get it dialed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Unzip your shell pants side vents, unzip both the the full length zippers on the 3/4 insulated pants, put them in your shells under your crotch like a diaper, attache the zippers at the hips and zip to your knees.
    Enjoy a lunch on the ski track or summit in warmth, unzip them after your break, and pull them out Zoolander style.

I got Norrona Lyngen Alpha for legs and suprisingly warm under shell. Also Minus 33 has heavyweight (400) merino leggings

But cant help on insulated pants
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    that’s a good thing, tight fitting isn’t in style down here.
    It’s not the 90s. I can’t go around in pants that are huge on me. 40 pounds is pretty significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    All my jeans are too big I lost weight.
    That's why you're getting cold. I suggest more beer and a certain pork product to get those 40 lbs back, ha.

I have noticed getting colder with age as well, kinda sucks. Are you talking for touring / lift served or both? I just wear thicker or thinner longjohns depending on temps. Touring I still just wear a light breathable schoeller pant and a light shell to throw over them if needed but have found over the years that my preferred underwear for a specific temp are getting thicker.

So yeah, what steved said.

Do you have a pair of shell pants that you like? What about just adding an insulating layer like:
    Patagonia R1 pants, or
    Patagonia Synchilla pants, or even:
    Patagonia Nano Puff Pants

I understand if you’ve ingrown (opposite of outgrown?) your shell pants. I just don’t have experience with insulated pants. But I enjoy my puffy pants (older Patagoo) on cold-ass days, not just when skiing. They’re pretty versatile. I’ll wear ‘em in a light sleeping bag sometimes when camping.

BTW, big ups on losing weight, as long as it was intentional I guess.

I picked up some Terramar ecolator 3.0 expedition weight longjohns this year for $40. They are the shit and the fabric looks just like the R1 stuff.

I run a pair of Marmot Freerider pants. They've got a liner but no padding, perfect for resort use.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I run a pair of Marmot Freerider pants. They've got a liner but no padding, perfect for resort use.
    Same. Good pant.
    If it's really cold I have a pair of insulated Patagonia Powderbowl pants.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I have a pair of Columbia insulated pants that would keep you warm in Siberia in January. Cheap too, maybe $100 many years ago.

It’s not the 90s. I can’t go around in pants that are huge on me. 40 pounds is pretty significant.
    Fart bag FTW! I've never been cold in a good one. Problem is, I'm usually hot in them by 11am and fewer options to lose layers with that. That's why the two good ones I have stay at the back of the closet un used in about 5 years. Just find one that doesn't look like a 90s Hot Tub Time Machine or even older disaster.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ha, 38 and old.

I am old, and am getting colder, especially hands and feet. I just picked up some lightly insulated Eider pants from everestgear.com. They still have a 70% off sale. I used them for the first time last week in some single digits at Mammoth, and loved them. Not sure which model, though. I can figure that out if need be.

I am almost to the point of boot warmers, but I'm not that old, yet!

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I might try a mid layer, Ive always hated layering though. Thanks for all the suggestions

I might try a mid layer, Ive always hated layering though. Thanks for all the suggestions
    Me too, but I got over it. If it's cold enough, I still like my North Face freedom pants. Cheap, lightly insulated, durable, waterproof, breathable, and has some small vents.

I changed to shell pants and either wear a 3/4 insulated compression legging or some generic mountain hardwear tights underneath. I use the compression if it's a long day or am going to be skiing hard trying to keep up appearances for maggot buddies. Regular tights when chasing my kid around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been using the Smartwool nts 250 pants, and the temp range is pretty broad...good all-arounder. Best I have found to bump lower body temp is to add a pair of shorts to keep the groinal region up to temp. Mine are just a pair of loose knee length athletic shorts.

For a multi-use option, Melanzana makes a nicely designed pair of windpro fleece pants. I have acquired a couple pairs over the years and mostly use them for around the house, but they are also nice for really cold lift days. The most worn pair has been cut down to 3/4 length to use for riding. They are good looking and fitting pair of sweatpants.

Kuiu hunting has a few full-zip underlayers. Plus Phenix and other ski racer brands have some cool under/over shorts and 3/4 pants.

Fly low baker bibs.

Flylow Snowman insulated pants are great. I've had a number of them. Great fit, and the insulation is fairly light, but enough to keep me warm(er) on lift-served MN ass-crystallizer days.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Tons of old timers here and they all use hand warmers.

Expedition weight long underwear is one of the ways to have a midlayer. I've got 2 pair I regularly rotate when the temperature approaches single digit (F) or lower. Fleece or a nice wool heavy weight item in the layering quiver.

And 38 is the new 28 and not old...

Dude at Killington skis in shorts just about every day.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!