Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    27 degrees, NW facing natural.

There is so much of this incident that gives me the heebies.

Fucking insane in so many ways.
    I really do not know why people and the report are focused on the slope angle. The avalanche initiated on a steep, west-facing slope above them. When you are skinning up avalanche debris you are in an avie path no matter the slope angle.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I still have goosebumps from reading that report.
    Helluva 1st ski date!
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Helluva 1st ski date!
    Right?

“So, dinner tomorrow night?”

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Right?

“So, dinner tomorrow night?”
    "So, how do you like me so far?"
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

"So, how do you like me so far?"
    Swipe right.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Swipe right.
    While looking upwards.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This jumped out at me. It means that most likely, she did not get her probe fully assembled properly before probing. It highlights the importance of practicing with your gear, all of it, not just your beacon.
    However she was still able to perform a successful rescue despite not having a probe strike, good on her!
    Not just practice, but check your shit frequently.

A couple weeks ago I dug a pit. Pulled out probe, threw it, and assembled it on first pull like clockwork.

Week after, pulled it out for a rescue scenario, threw it, and it wouldn't ever release to assemble. Instructuror and multiple others tired. No dice.

Warrantied this week.

Now plan to assemble probe and shovel prior to every day I'm really in avalanche terrain.

+2^^. I just took an AST1 course with my wife and maybe half the people there didn't know how to lock their probes in our first exercise. Sounds like Skier 1 had the same issue. From what I watched, it seemed like most of those probes would "break" at the top joint and people would keep stabbing the ground with most of a probe

Pretty sure no one had that issue by the second or third try.

Doebedoe, what kind of probe was that? I'm having trouble envisioning a use for anything complicated enough to have that problem.

I'm having trouble envisioning a use for anything complicated enough to have that problem.
    In the heat of the moment all kinds of shit goes off the rails.

OTOH My probe has had the cable freeze in place from carrying it on the outside of my pack but not in a sleeve. There was no way to get it to work other than take it inside warm it up and thoroughly dry it out.

After that mess I sprayed it with Silicone and started keeping it inside the pack where it belongs.

Here's a pic taken outside the Opus Hut sauna on the backside of Battleship Mtn
    Name:  Opus sauna.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  15.6 KB

BC Pole Probes

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

OTOH My probe has had the cable freeze in place from carrying it on the outside of my pack but not in a sleeve. There was no way to get it to work other than take it inside warm it up and thoroughly dry it out.

After that mess I sprayed it with Silicone and started keeping it inside the pack where it belongs.
    I have no particular experience with this in an emergency situation, but I have seen a lot of people in the bc who have adjustable ski poles that can be connected into a short probe and therefore do not carry a separate probe. I can see where they might occasionally practice with a transceiver but have never actually taken their poles apart, removed one basket and reconnected them to make a usable probe. Not something you want to try and figure out for the first time in an emergency. Lots of transceiver search practice going on, but I don't see much probing practice.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post

This has been on my mind a lot this winter. Around New Years my wife and were digging a pit in some way back terrain and when I took out my probe (a 3 year old BD QuickDraw 320) for measuring and ECT the cable broke.

If it had been a rescue situation that would of sucked.

I’ve gone through a few probes the past 20 years. I dig a lot of pits. This is the second BD probe I’ve seen the cable break on in the past 4 years. I switched to a BCA Stealth 300. I’ve gotten into the habit of drying and lubing my probe and shovel regularly now.

Lots of transceiver search practice going on, but I don't see much probing practice.
    I hear ya. One of the best drills I have done was: a buried back pack deeper than a meter in a marked out deposition zone.

You are off stage until the tester calls you to begin, when you get on scene you shout go and have to get your beacon out and switch to receive and begin your coarse search.

When you get a signal you shout that out, when you start your fine search you shout that out and then you have to get your probe out and begin that step.

When you hit the pack you again shout that out and begin digging until you have the pack out and in hand.

Times for all steps are recorded and posted in the locker room.

The pressure of being observed and the competition makes it a real and stressful test and the feedback from the Proctor/tester helps a lot.

Hard to recreate that kind of a thing for ski buddies.

Probes are disposable items.

A lot of the rescue types carry two (for a couple reasons).

Drill with your gear often.

Show up with a set of poles that assemble into a "probe" then you get to carry my probe and use my poles for the day while you tour and think about me rescuing you with your shit rescue equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Why should I spend money for extra equipment I then have to carry just to save you more efficiently? Sounds like a reasonable position.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I really do not know why people and the report are focused on the slope angle. The avalanche initiated on a steep, west-facing slope above them. When you are skinning up avalanche debris you are in an avie path no matter the slope angle.
    Umm statistical probability of risk and consequences?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Why should I spend money for extra equipment I then have to carry just to save you more efficiently? Sounds like a reasonable position.
    Fine! We're swapping equipment next time, Mister!
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Talking

Fine! We're swapping equipment next time, Mister!
    I've got a better idea, just let me have first tracks every run.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I've got a better idea, just let me have first tracks every climb.
    FIFY.......sure.

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Had a new, not so good experience with my probe yesterday.
    New this year Ortovox alu 320 probe. Threw it out to deploy and a section wouldn’t come together. Closer inspection showed the end of the section was deformed (it wasn’t round anymore) therefore it wouldn’t go together.

Fixed with a needle nose, luckily it was just practice and not a situation.
    Carried a G3 probe for years without issue.
    Going back to the G3 with threaded knob top.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Here's a pic taken outside the Opus Hut sauna on the backside of Battleship Mtn
    Name:  Opus sauna.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  15.6 KB
    I’d TOTALLY give her mouth breaths without a barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

This skier is lucky to be alive, but these two are clueless with their choice of approach. The buried skier is very arrogant and believes he's king of the mountains, he's also a telluride patroller, go figure. Sad you never hear the whole story sitting in your Denver cubicle.

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    This skier is lucky to be alive, but these two are clueless with their choice of approach. The buried skier is very arrogant and believes he's king of the mountains, he's also a telluride patroller, go figure. Sad you never hear the whole story sitting in your Denver cubicle.
    Boom! Frequently, we are the biggest impediment to our our safety. It would be nice if the backcountry skiing community were more tolerant to peer critique but sadly that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    It would be nice if the backcountry skiing community were more tolerant to peer critique but sadly that is not the case.
    IMO that’s mostly because thoughtful discussion usually gets run over by “What a bunch of fuck ups!!! I wouldn’t never have done that. Morons! They shouldn’t of never been there!” style of “critique.”