AAIRE Companion Rescue Course

Interested in hearing from pros / teachers about their thoughts on this new one day course.

I took it yesterday. My level 1 was 2.5 years ago prior to the switch in curriculum, since then I've spent ~50 days in the backcountry.

My general thoughts:

- Instructor was very thoughtful.
    - Practice is always good.
    - The difference in experience between the 5 participants was vast.
    - This difference in experience and practice made me feel as I didn't learn much beyond getting good reps and scenarios since a good portion of the class focused on how to use equipment correctly.

Seems to me like having this class open to pre-level 1s and people who are taking it to get ready for level 2s is a bit odd and inefficient.

Thoughts?

First of all, you took the AAA companion rescue course through AIARE. It is not exclusive to AIARE, regardless of how much they want you to think that.

Sounds like you have practiced your rescue skills. Congrats. Not everyone does, whether they have been taught them or not. Ideally this seminar is to prepare people to take the Rec 2 and the Pro 1, but in order to keep them filled, they are open to pre-L1 folks.

It is indeed challenging for instructors to have wildly variable skill sets in a class. I bet the instructor wished they could take you further with skills. Did you work on multiple burials?

I agree that it is better as a Pre-1 course. The curriculum has changed in 1 and 2. Now, 2 has been reduced in complexity and pit digging is less of a priority. My most recent instructor told
    me that it was not a dramatic difference but the new focus on Pro-1 has highlighted what I heard from the person that trains the trainers of the pro courses, Pro is for people that work in avalanche terrain. The recreational courses are for planning travel and executing safe travel in small groups in avalanche terrain. I think it makes sense to know how to handle multi burial and single burial situations before planning a trip. More people should know how to search, prove and dig than plan. You can learn much of planning from those that already have a 1 or 2.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Thanks for the clarifications all. Wondered if the new curriculums for 1 & 2 made this fit differently into the pattern.

Totally makes sense that they need it open to both groups to fill up class reason. Was cool to see some people without much/any touring experience who were planning a trip that involved heli skiing and sidecountry taking the time to at least learn the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Was cool to see some people without much/any touring experience who were planning a trip that involved heli skiing and sidecountry taking the time to at least learn the basics.
    That is great. I think this is a good sequel choice after the intro to backcountry for many skiers without a solid group of experienced friends with training. We all know that guy that has experience and no training as well.
    I would love to see others start to adopt some of the important habits like beacon checks at the trailhead, keeping good spacing on the skin track, and discussing stop signs. Occasionally I ride with a crew that skips those steps and it makes me worry that shot could go wrong.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I taught one recently just as you describe, with very different experience/ skill/ abilities among 8 participants. It was a challenge to reach everyone on their own level, but ultimately I was able to identify gaps in knowledge and help everyone improve.

Sadly I think many people who could benefit from it, won't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
    ... Sadly I think many people who could benefit from it, won't take it.
    Isn't that all too frequently the case in too many fields of study :-(

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

When it comes to diverse skill levels, Rescue is meant to be taken either before Level 1 OR after Level 1, so it is inevitable. I try to break people into field groups based on experience so groups are more on the same level. I've also taken to offering a combined Level 1 + Rescue course so students get both courses in one go.

My opinion is that the prevailing rate of $165-$250/day for basic avalanche courses is high. That is 2-3x what it cost was 10 years ago. Places like this are charging as much for a 1 day basic rescue class as I paid for my Level 1. Students are paying $40/hr but I guarantee you the instructors are not making that pay rate. I'd say "woooo go free market!" but it is not really a free market due to the USFS permitting system limiting the market to a handful of operations and the instructors have to go through the course provider/permit holders.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    First of all, you took the American Avalanche Association (A3) rescue course through AIARE. It is not exclusive to AIARE, regardless of how much they want you to think that.
    Requoted because this message needs to be reemphasized constantly in the recreational avalanche world. AIARE has through marketing pushed their branding so strongly that they have succeeded in getting the public to think of avalanche education courses as "AIARE 1" instead of "Level 1." It would be impressive marketing if it was not so sad. There are many great courses taught to A3 guidelines by A3 Pros whether they also have a brand name or not. IMHO it is the instructor makes the course great or not.

https://avalanche.org/avalanche-cour...se-progression

#avalancheeduneutrality
    Last edited by Summit; 01-28-2019 at 04:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I took this class a couple of weeks ago as a pre-req for either Pro1 or Rec 2 and had some of the same thoughts as the OP. 12 people in the class with 2 instructors. I was there with 2 people that I have started touring with this year, so it was a good opportunity for the 3 of us to practice together and see where our weaknesses were as a team. The instructor led hands on practice was the valuable part for me as the few hours that were spent on instruction in the morning was very basic, as most of the class were never-evers.

One striking thing to me was the ski ability of at least half of the group. We were practicing on the downhill side of where snow had been pushed off a large parking lot, so it started steep and angle backed off over 100 yards or so, lots of plow chunks. Actually a pretty good representation of a depo zone I thought. But at least half the participants had to step out of skis at the top and walk down because they couldn't even side slip through the debris. It wasn't much better when we moved to an easier area for them to practice beacon searches on skis. It seemed strange to me that they were interested in backcountry skiing when they were, at best, low level resort intermediates.

I've had a few eager partners this year that are pretty medicore skiers. I've decided despite them having avy training, they are a safety risk to ski anything more than super mellow tours I know well with. Your ability to move around and ski well are top safety considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I've had a few eager partners this year that are pretty medicore skiers. I've decided despite them having avy training, they are a safety risk to ski anything more than super mellow tours I know well with. Your ability to move around and ski well are top safety considerations.
    Sort of some thread drift, but I have noticed the same thing over the last couple seasons. For example, I meet someone very motivated to go on a tour, they're fit, they have the gear, they have decent mountain skills, but they can barely link 2 turns. Not only is it a safety issue, it limits my fun substantially because I have to wait for them and select mellower terrain. I even suggested to one partner that they should spend a few days at the resort to work on their technique only to learn he has never really skied in-bounds

Re downhill ability

If you can't ski avalanche terrain, you need a KBYG/awareness course and a ski lesson, not a Level 1.

For Avalanche Level 1 courses, I make people confirm as part of their signup that they can "competently and safely descend slopes of black diamond steepness (30+deg) in natural snow (not perfect pow) as these define basic avalanche terrain and some of the skills required to travel through it." I also forbid the use of snowshoes for uphill travel in class.

None of this applies to a Rescue Course!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.