Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anybody skiing the Bent Chetler 100?

If so - what bindings are you using? Not sure what to mount. 70% touring, 30% inbounds. Had a Dynafit Radical ST - didn't like it. Have a Vipec on my BD Helio, ugly plastic binding but love the handling...and how it skis.

Tectons sound perfect for a 70/30 setup

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m going to pick up a pair of the 188 for resort skiing. Just wondering for those who have a pair, where did you ended up mounting? In the Blister review the main reviewer started at the recommended -7.5cm from center, and ended up moving it up 3cm to be -4.5. I have a pair of Dynastar 6th Sense that I originally mountred on the “traditional” vs “progressive” line and eventually moved them up 2cm as I felt I didn’t have enough support in the tails. I’m worried that if I mount them at -7.5 I may run into the same problem.

Any insight that others can share would be appreciated.

I was thinking +1cm or +2cm from recommended...but have to buy the bindings first...

I’ll probably go +1.5cm to +2cm from the recommended line. In case anyone is looking for a pair, Straight Line in Fernie has them on sale for $509CAD. I think they have all sizes still.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    I’ll probably go +1.5cm to +2cm from the recommended line. In case anyone is looking for a pair, Straight Line in Fernie has them on sale for $509CAD. I think they have all sizes still.
    I'd be interested to hear a review from you after you try them... this ski intrigues me.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'm on the 188 cm. I moved the mount up +4 from recomended, with Vipecs. Have been using it as a big day/light mountaineering ski. So far I love it. Does reasonably well in stupid deep snow, is strong in variable conditions, and has this sweet combination of plenty of edge hold in terrible, steep conditions, while also still being super easy to pivot into a turn. For me at least it's a pretty perfect "newschool no-fall-zone" ski.

There is a part of me that wonders how much I'd like the shorter version, and I may end up springing for that next year.

I've got the 180cm. Im 5'8" and ~165lbs. For your needs they will be awesome. As a resort only ski I think they are too light IMO. That said I would wager not many skis in this weight class will ski as well inbounds. Tons of fun billy goating around and in consequential terrain. Very confidence inspiring and forgiving. With anything soft they are a ton of fun. They have a great edge hold but break free easily. I have mine mounted traditionally and never feel like I do not have enough tail. Most of my skis are directional. Pretty solid and supportive flex. What they lack as a resort ski is dampness and weight. Skiing hard with inbounds conditions can beat you up. They can be pushed hard but definitely get knocked around in variable chop. I used them at Alta last week and the chop wasn't fun. Once west rustler got buffed out they were a blast. I have them mounted with the first version of cast to use everywhere. With the shift or vipec these would be great.

Got to ski them at a demo, as they were really pushing people on them, I skied them in a 172, which is smaller than I'd normally like. With that said, a super fun ski, and I think that for its weight and intended purpose, you would be hard pressed to find something that skis as well in conditions across the board. If I could justify a spot for it in my quiver, I'd probably be getting it in the 180, as keeping the length manageable makes it one of my favorite skis in the trees. Also, this ski almost seems like it was dreamt up by Atomic/Salomon for the shift binding. With a shift binding it's a damn near perfect do everything, resort/backcountry/sidecountry setup for the average person looking to get out there.

Well, I ended up mounting +2 from the recommended line. I've only got 4 short days on them, but so far I'm really pleased with them. For reference my my quiver consists of 190cm Salomon QLab 105, 190cm Rossi Squad 7 (I think they're the 13/14 model), and 192cm Salomon Rocker 2 122. The first thing I noticed about the Bent Chetlers was that they do feel light, at first they kind of reminded me of my old skinny park skis the first time I jumped on the chair and my feet were just dangling. Overall I would describe them as a fun, playful ski. They felt good, stable, and easy to ski on the groomers and on steeper windblown/wind loaded off piste runs, they are also quick and easy to ski in the moguls. I've done a few runs in steeper, tracked out snow where once or twice I felt the longer tails made it a little tougher to initiate the turn, it might be poor technique on my part, however I can't help but think if I mounted them on the line instead of +2, I might not have experienced that. I suppose if I was to do it over again I'd probably mount on the line, but for now I won't bother remounting them as I haven't noticed the extra tail length elsewhere. The only fresh snow we I skied them in has been super light, it will be interesting to see how they do in heavier, denser snow. Originally I bought them for just ripping around with my 9 year, hitting jumps, doing the occasional 180 and 360, etc, however I can see myself using them as a daily driver instead of the QLabs between storm cycles.

I demoed the 180 for a day. Conditions were packed powder and some areas of 3-4inches of fresh. The thing that struck me was how the ski can hold together straight lining out of something, can carve and hold an edge on groomers, and you can also break the tails free easily when you want to. Stable but poppy is how I’d describe them.

Other skis i demoed that week were nordica endorcer 100, line SFB, and head kore 105. The nordicas feel like a race ski to me—damp, great edging, not poppy. The Lines turn like crazy and are soft. The Heads were most traditional feeling and really ripped the groomers with GS like turns, but their combo of light and stiff didn’t make them feel very playful. Would probably be the best ski for smooth light pow of all the above.

Overall, the BC 100 felt like the best blend for resort/sidecountry skiing. The 180 didn’t feel short,very comparable to the enforcer 100 in 185cm length. I’m 5’11 and 185lbs. I’m getting a pair...

I demoed the 188 at the traditional mount point last year and came away disappointed. I ride the Line Mr. Pollard’s Opus on Eric’s recommended line which is -2 from true center, I think. I’m curious after the comments here and seeing on insta where Chris and other atomic riders actually mount them to see how they ski mounted closer to what I like. Fingers crossed they are willing to do this at the demo Saturday.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Training carts are for jongs. I remember back when this forum had legit bull-fighters and not a bunch of posers.

I demo’d the 180 on the line. Surprised how fun they were. Moguls were nothing, so quick edge to edge and nothing chattery at all, even skiing unreasonably fast on firm snow. Radius is smaller than I’m used to, but it was really easy to make any shape turn. I could lean way in and engage the radius or flick the ankles slightly for more fall line oriented movement. Really impressed.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

where to mount the 100s

According to CB he mounts at +4, Mcnutt and sage are at +3. Crazy to think a couple cms make that big a difference. Anybody know how to find an Atomic Demo Day schedule? I think i want to try at +1,+2ish before I drill holes.

Bumping this thread for further crowd input. Luke Koppa from Blister liked it at +3 in his review. I'm sure I don't spend as much time in the air or swinging my skis around as either he, Cy, or any of the pros. But I would like the skis to feel a little more playful as I'm learning more tricks.

Taking Dr. Evil's comments in mind (post #10) about turn initiation, I'm deciding whether to mount at +1, +1.5, or +2.

Quote Originally Posted by hbfs View Post
    Bumping this thread for further crowd input. Luke Koppa from Blister liked it at +3 in his review. I'm sure I don't spend as much time in the air or swinging my skis around as either he, Cy, or any of the pros. But I would like the skis to feel a little more playful as I'm learning more tricks.

Taking Dr. Evil's comments in mind (post #10) about turn initiation, I'm deciding whether to mount at +1, +1.5, or +2.
    I should clarify they turn/carve great on groomers at +2. iI was on steeper, moguls runs where I think I ski with a more centred technique (as opposed to driving driving the tips) that I felt the longer tail kept me locked in the turn from time to time. With the ski being so light I think you’ll find it playful on the line or at +2. Maybe split the difference and go +1?

My .02: I've never skied anything that + or - 1 made a real, problematic difference on, so I apply that to my own, and my friends' mounts by never moving anything less than 2cm. Because why not? And, that way, if you really hate them at +2, you've got all the space in the world to move them back to recommended without hole interference with most bindings.

I would say, put 'em at +2 and detune your tails a little bit if they're hanging up that badly. My guess is you'll adjust to how they feel in moguls pretty quickly, and then they'll feel better everywhere else too.

I seriously don't understand Atomic's mounting convention on this ski. They're trying to sell two skis at once: A playful all-mountain ski for the directional customers, and a fat park ski for their pros, and everyone that wants to try to ski like their pros. But if you're not one of those two groups, it can be pretty frustrating to figure out where your mount should be. For me, I ski them as far forward as I can get the demo bindings to go, and love them there. But I am 100% treating them as a park ski I ride all over the hill, and when I'm on them, it's because I want even less swing weight for spins than usual.

Just picked up a pair that will get shifts on them. Should have them ready to go later this week. I’m going +2 in order to get it more into the range of what I like.

Hoping they will be a good 50/50 setup like this.

Thanks for the input boys. I had em mounted at +2, stoked to take em out in a few days.

+2 Mounting a Big Deal?

Just grabbed a pair of Bent Chetler 100s in 180 length and the tech recommended I mount them +2. I’m 49, 160ish, 5’8” and have been skiing on 172 Black Crow Orbs that are pretty stiff and not twin tips.
    Like skiing everywhere, but not backward. Love jumps, but spend most of the time in the woods or bowls or in bumps (in terrain park with my kids, but not doing anything crazy ... all skiing forward).
    Question is ... Did I make a mistake going +2? Will I even notice? I was on a roll and just kept saying “yes” to all the tech questions, and hoping I didn’t make a bad call.

Quote Originally Posted by tripperpalooza View Post
    Just grabbed a pair of Bent Chetler 100s in 180 length and the tech recommended I mount them +2. I’m 49, 160ish, 5’8” and have been skiing on 172 Black Crow Orbs that are pretty stiff and not twin tips.
    Like skiing everywhere, but not backward. Love jumps, but spend most of the time in the woods or bowls or in bumps (in terrain park with my kids, but not doing anything crazy ... all skiing forward).
    Question is ... Did I make a mistake going +2? Will I even notice? I was on a roll and just kept saying “yes” to all the tech questions, and hoping I didn’t make a bad call.
    Did he ask any questions about how you ski and what you want out of the ski?

If he didn't, his advice is garbage and personal preference.

If they're already mounted just go ski them and see how you like them. If not, I'd probably defer to the manufacturer rec... but that's just me.

If you're tails are getting hooked up too much then re-mount.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I went +2 on mine based on a talk with the Atomic rep and I am happy with it. I think the rec line is about 5 cm back from the BC 120 in relation to ski center, so moving it up makes them more similar.

They definitely like a more centered stance when you ski them, but have been super fun once I got that figured out.

The first day I had them was a heavy mani kind of day and I felt myself going over the front a lot. As soon as I switched to more center they were great.

I went from skiing an Automatic 102 180cm that were mounted on the line (w/ pivots), to a Bent 100 180cm. When I lined the two skis up to each other, the recommended line on the Automatics is 2cm further back from the Bent 100's rec line So I mounted the 100's on the line (w/ pivots) and have been really happy with that so far.
    on the send bus to gnar town

I skied a set at +2 in some soft, chopped up stuff. They struck me as reasonably flexible in the tips (maybe that's the rocker) to blow through bumps; maybe a little on the light side; versatile enough to handle everything I pointed them at. They look like a good Western daily driver to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

I’m interested in this ski - I tend to stay on the resort but prefer off piste, steeps/chutes, trees and want to be able to handle pow. Are these the right skis for me? I keep seeing these being compared to the Line Sick Day 104.