Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bumping since I came into a borrowed pair of these to use for the season. Gonna put a pair of MTNs on them and use them as a touring ski for longer or firm snow days

1) What’s the consensus on mount point for touring specific applications? I generally like skis at -5 or -6 but don’t want to give myself too much tail for breaking them free and kick turns etc

2) Is there metal in these? Everything Ive read says no but the topsheet says to use a 4.1 drill bit which I always equate with metal. Am I good to use a 3.6 since that’s all I have?
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I only skied them as a demo, but I found them really good. My daily drivers are a pair of Bonafides from 2017 (the burliest they got). the BCs were much livelier than the Blizzard's at slower speeds, but definitely held their composure at high speeds w/o any problems. Mainly skied them on piste, so can't say too much about their off piste abilities, but they managed both ice, bumps and crud just fine I think. I would think they suit a wide range of skiers and don't require a certain stance or technique like some burlier skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Bumping since I came into a borrowed pair of these to use for the season. Gonna put a pair of MTNs on them and use them as a touring ski for longer or firm snow days

1) What’s the consensus on mount point for touring specific applications? I generally like skis at -5 or -6 but don’t want to give myself too much tail for breaking them free and kick turns etc

2) Is there metal in these? Everything Ive read says no but the topsheet says to use a 4.1 drill bit which I always equate with metal. Am I good to use a 3.6 since that’s all I have?
    If there is any metal, it's a minimal layer; I went from a pair of race skills to these while mounting and it felt like minimal resistance. I used a 4.1 and got a spinner even with careful hand tightening, so I'd have a hard time arguing against the 3.6.

I'm happy with mine on the line; they ski much more directional than the 120 does on the line (I've got a new pair of 120s and I'm 90% sure I'm going to mount those -2cm). Not sure if that helps your decision-making or not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    If there is any metal, it's a minimal layer; I went from a pair of race skills to these while mounting and it felt like minimal resistance. I used a 4.1 and got a spinner even with careful hand tightening, so I'd have a hard time arguing against the 3.6.

I'm happy with mine on the line; they ski much more directional than the 120 does on the line (I've got a new pair of 120s and I'm 90% sure I'm going to mount those -2cm). Not sure if that helps your decision-making or not.

did you ever happen to ski the old rossi s3? that was my east coast pow/bump/tree ski for the longest time, could turn those things on a dime, i had 186's. i was hoping the bent chetler's would be similar, i got them in a 180. but reading your review, i'm wondering if i shouldn't mount them +1 or +2? doesn't sound like i'll get what i'm looking for if i mount them on the line

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    did you ever happen to ski the old rossi s3? that was my east coast pow/bump/tree ski for the longest time, could turn those things on a dime, i had 186's. i was hoping the bent chetler's would be similar, i got them in a 180. but reading your review, i'm wondering if i shouldn't mount them +1 or +2? doesn't sound like i'll get what i'm looking for if i mount them on the line
    I haven't skied the S3.

I do wonder how much of the difference in playful vs directional feel has to do with going up to the 188, but based solely on my experiences with the 188, I would think that a forward mount might be better if easy pivoting is a top priority. I do spend most of my ski time on race boards or pseudo race boards, though, so you may want to take my opinion on twin tip mount points with a few grains of salt.

gotta mount these 180's this week and still not sure if i go on the line or +2 reading the thread a couple of you seem happy on the line, doesn't seem like anyone has mounted them +2?

This is a very late response, but the current Line Sir Francis Bacon reminds me of the good parts of the S3. If you liked the S3 (I did, a lot) you should definitely check them out. I really enjoy them. I haven’t skied the BC 100s but based on hand flex I wouldn’t think they would be a good replacement.

gotta mount these 180's this week and still not sure if i go on the line or +2 reading the thread a couple of you seem happy on the line, doesn't seem like anyone has mounted them +2?
    I have a few days so far on my 188 mounted +1.5 and I think it depends on your skiing style and what you want to use them for.

I’m using mine as a dedicated touring ski so I don’t care too much about carving performance but they’re def a bit hooky and squirrelly on groomers mounted forward. The amount of camber and sidecut makes it feel like they’re gonna hook and go off in different directions, especially when going fast on traverses and stuff like that. Once on edge they feel pretty short with the forward mount (and I like skis usually in the -5 from center range so I’m used to a more forward stance). Note though that I’m using them with rigid pin bindings so the hard snow feel is extra harsh

They ski nicely everywhere else though. The tails release super easily so it’s a confidence inspiring ski in more difficult terrain and I think the forward mount helps throw them around a bit easier. Haven’t skied them in more than like 8” of fresh snow but didn’t have any issues with float

I wouldn’t say I’m a huge fan of this ski overall but I think it’ll be quite good for my intended use of longer touring missions mostly in the spring. If I were putting alpine bindings on it and using it as an inbounds driver I think it’d be too squirrelly for my likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Anybody skiing the Bent Chetler 100?

Mine are mounted on the recommended line and are not squirrelly at all on groomers. +1.5/+2 mounts are for park tricks and stuff imho.