Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Snow Tubing: Am I being a dick?

So my kids Y-guide group is going snow tubing this weekend. I’ve taken my kid once, she was 4 at time and almost got killed if not for a McGyver like move I made to save her.
    Anecdotally I’ve also heard surgeons say it’s more dangerous than skiing(I work in Neuro/Ortho biz).
    Part of me thinks I’m being selfish, in that if I’m driving a total of 5 hrs, I should be skiing instead of this bullshit.
    So am I dick for not going tubing?
    She’s got a 8:30am basketball game that I’m using as a good excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    So my kids Y-guide group is going snow tubing this weekend. I’ve taken my kid once, she was 4 at time and almost got killed if not for a McGyver like move I made to save her.
    Anecdotally I’ve also heard surgeons say it’s more dangerous than skiing(I work in Neuro/Ortho biz).
    Part of me thinks I’m being selfish, in that if I’m driving a total of 5 hrs, I should be skiing instead of this bullshit.
    So am I dick for not going tubing?
    She’s got a 8:30am basketball game that I’m using as a good excuse.

Is "mcgyver like" the right phrase? Like you stopped her by shooting a hole in her tube with a dart gun you made out of a lift ticket basket, chapstick, and a condom?

Also, who drives 2.5 hrs to tube??

My friends on patrols claim they see far more serious injuries in the tubing area than on the hill (head and neck). This was a while ago before helmets were ubiquitous so maybe not so bad now? Still one can pick up a lot of speed with little to no control and lots of hard surfaces to slam into.

Plenty of dangerous everyday activities out there do you need to add more but then again will your child be the only one left out?

Agreed with risk, but some of that could be mitigated with a helmet. Medicine can fix a lot of ortho type injuries but the brain is a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    have you brought it up with your wife?
    I sea wot u did their.

A great friend of mine became a quadriplegic from tubing. At the time he was a backup wide receiver on the University of Tennessee football team and was in great shape. His accident was a freak accident by the way he landed. Am I against tubing? No. I've done it since then with my wife and kid. But like a lot of things, dangerous things can happen. I'd say its partially good planning like skiing and part luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KQ for the win!
    Thanks!
    I was never going in any case, but you corroborated my thoughts.

jimmy carter,,, maybe not McGyver, as that’s more technical I guess , it was more Chuck Norris or some thing. My daughter had climbed out of the tube we were in, but in the track. A tube with 2 or 3 people were barreling towards us, my arm extended 2 feet longer than my actual arm length, grabbed her, pulled her into our tube before the great collision.
    She thought it was fun. I bout shat my pants and was done tubin.

have you brought it up with your wife?
    She’s anti tubing.

Zing.

Vibes to your buddy jasmap.

Pretty amazed to read of so many snow tubing accidents and serious injuries.

Makes me want to inquire at the local hill with the ski patrol about it.

In the past I always heard it was a very easy day for the patrol who was charged with over seeing the tube park.

And Jimmy Carter was a nuclear trained naval officer, so way better than Mcqiver.
    Last edited by SB; 01-25-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Tubes slide fast and are about impossible to control. I’d rather go downhill on a cafeteria tray. Shit, who’d have thought the flexible flyer was the epoch of snow sliding? (Praxis RX aside)
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Most people are going tubeless now.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

TGR

"Nobody let's their kids play anymore. In my day blah, blah, blah"

"You let your kids Snow Tube?!?! Are you fucking crazy!?!/1/11?!/1/!?1"

Snow tubing is really fun. 30 minutes would be my driving limit, though. I wouldn't even drive 5 hours to ski unless it was really, really good.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Yeah is your y-guides group a bunch of assholes or sumthin?

Nothing wrong with letting your kid tube with other kids her age, but when my y guides group did there tubing trip we were able to ski at the hill next to the tubing center. Driving to snow just for tubing and not skiing would be really hard for me too.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Most people are going tubeless now.
    I laughed.

Don't forget your beacon... and a tourniquet.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Tubing is specifically not allowed anywhere at the ski area where I work. Sucks to tell people that and kick them off, but...injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Don't forget your beacon... and a tourniquet.
    FTW

duh cheap tubers in my lil snow zone will jam the snowbanks here by parking wherever they want as soon as they exit the freeway, some days parking on the offramp. 5.O won’t ticket because they don’t want to become glorified meter maids.
    sooo the hordes keep showing up and have begun to park at the ski area then dodge dog shit and downhill ski traffic in order to get their tube on.
    Lot of that going on around here too.

Is tubing inherently dangerous or are there a lot of injuries because of the idiotic jerrys who do it. (And why do I get a spellcheck alert for "jerrys"? It's a perfectly good word.)

I've been tubing several places. I would absolutely that if tubing means you're just going to find a hill somewhere and send it, that is the highest risk for injury. Places like that lend themselves to people building jumps and not realizing they're hucking it to a hard flat landing and the 1/8" thick piece of plastic will do nothing to cushion the landing, or their overinflated tube is a trampoline that will send them into low orbit. Something at a resort where they carve out a shallow half pipe is far safer, but you gotta watch out for the next guy coming down the pipe. Usually a drunk dentist in his 40's trying to have a good time while his kids are pretending like they don't know him.

And flexible flyer for the win. I spent a few winters at my grandparents around St. Louis sliding down the backyard hill on one. We also had saucers, plastic sleds, and even a wooden toboggan, but the flyer was superior in every way. My brother, my cousins and I fought over who's turn it was constantly.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I used to like the rope tow local golf course hill tubing back in high school. They turned a blind eye to partying in the parking lot and pretty much totally unsupervised, free for all on the hill. Places I've seen with modern resort tubing are pretty tame in comparison, but much bigger runs. It's the people who come down spinning around circles crazy fast getting up all drunken bat that make me say no thanks to that. If my kid wanted to try It, and we were already there and finished skiing for the day I'd probably go for it or at least let them try it.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

It's a good thing none of us did this kind of stupid shit when we were kids.

Take her tubing, and be the adult to keep things semi under control. As much as I hate tubing, kids love...let her be a kid.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

On the river tubers are the trash that trashes the river.

Most are drunk or are drinking to get drunk throwing their empty containers and refuse every where.

+1 for the FF, we had one and most of the other kids had them too. We built jumps and would make trains with them. I would take wax and rub it on the runners for extra speed.

duh cheap tubers in my lil snow zone will jam the snowbanks here by parking wherever they want as soon as they exit the freeway, some days parking on the offramp. 5.O won’t ticket because they don’t want to become glorified meter maids.
    sooo the hordes keep showing up and have begun to park at the ski area then dodge dog shit and downhill ski traffic in order to get their tube on.
    hehe, winter time rubber hatch.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I worked on a lawsuit where another tuber broke his neck. Resort-operated tubing operation didn't have near the runout they needed, particularly after the sun went down and everything refroze. Helmet wouldn't have helped him since it was the spinal compression that got him. I think it can be done safely, but be aware of runout and impact issues, and also 5 hours is a lot of driving.

It was pretty common knowledge in my adolescence hometown (Bend) that fucking yer self up (neck or back injuries / paralysis) was much more likely at the Skyliner tubing hill than skiing at mt Flachelor.

But people did it anyway.