Anybody ever ship skis to Europe?

Going to try the Huate Route, again, on a trip to Europe this spring, but will be traveling for a couple weeks before and after, so I don't want to haul a ski bag all over the continent. I am wondering how feasible/expensive it is to ship touring skis to/from yurp. Most likely I will end up renting, but just looking at options.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

NYT just ran an article about it. Dues this link work? https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...-ship.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks, the link worked. Most of the article is common sense, but there are links to some shipping service I will check out.

It is going to cost me $200 r/t to fly with them, and plus extra for any intravenous European flights I may take as I travel before and after my tour. Not sure if there are extra fees for train travel if I go that route , which I will most likely do for at least part of the trip.

I Renting in Chamonix is the likely choice, but I just hate not using my own skis. Guess I just need to look at it as a chance to test out a new ski.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Thanks, the link worked. Most of the article is common sense, but there are links to some shipping service I will check out.

It is going to cost me $200 r/t to fly with them, and plus extra for any intravenous European flights I may take as I travel before and after my tour. Not sure if there are extra fees for train travel if I go that route , which I will most likely do for at least part of the trip.

I Renting in Chamonix is the likely choice, but I just hate not using my own skis. Guess I just need to look at it as a chance to test out a new ski.
    If you're flying into Geneva, pm geo039...

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

1. It's ok to spend more for the convenience of not carting skis around. Sounds like you have a long trip plan with destinations outside of the mountains. If you can swing the cash, I wouldn't beat yourself up for choosing to travel light and shipping. If you're going to ski steep stuff in Cham, I understanding wanting familiar boards.
    2. Last season in Europia, I rented a better pair of skis than I was skiing at home. And better bindings. For very little money. This season, I'm flying with boots only.
    3. Doubt very much the trains will charge you extra for skis. Unless you ship them ahead of you or try to store them in the station which might incur a small fee.

Anybody ever ship skis to Europe?

For what it’s worth, I’ve been on the TGV from Lyon and Paris and whatever train from Beaune, and Florence, and skis just stood up on end in the baggage area like other bags, no fee.
    I’ve stored bags a few times in train stations in France and Italy, and it was easy and cheap.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

You don't have to pay baggage fees on trains if you are on the train. There seems to be some regulation that brakes down to: you have to able to lift/carry/move all your luggage at once. My brother once got forced to demonstration with 7 bags and a bike or something.

If you are not on the train it will be expensive to send skis around via the railway companies.

Surefoot has a program where you can drop off your skis at your local Surefoot and they ship them to your destination Surefoot.
    Are you in Ventura like your profile says? Are you close to Surefoot Santa Monica? They have European shops in Val d’Isere, Courchevel and Verbier.

Looked at UPS, and $400 to ship one way

Looks like renting in Chamonix will be the way to go. Cost is about the same as baggage fees, but no schlepping skis all over euroland. Just might be time to try out some Black Crows and see what all the hype is about.

iscariot

Looked at UPS, and $400 to ship one way

Looks like renting in Chamonix will be the way to go. Cost is about the same as baggage fees, but no schlepping skis all over euroland. Just might be time to try out some Black Crows and see what all the hype is about.
    Think of all the food and wine you could spend that saved $800 on. Or, if you like the Black Crows...

Who are you flying on that is charging $100 each way? If you rent, Concept Pro Shop in Cham can hook you up with various Freebirds. New Camox Freebird would be nice on the HR!

Flying Norwegian Air, at least going east. I haven't booked my return yet since that is TBD. $100 for second checked piece. That is not even counting possible inta-Euro flights (will most likely the use the trains in europe.)

Renting in Chamonix has the advantage of picking the ski for conditions. My last shot at it conditions were atrocious, so we bailed and went climbing in Finale Ligure, then caught a later storm for some fresh pow in Cervinia/Zermatt. Talk abiut variable conditions

iscariot

Turkish airlines does not change for skis.
    Plus it's really cheap

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I looked at them, but flights weren't cheap or didn't work. Flew them to Africa in '17 and loved them...good wine all the way.

iscariot