Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Bruce’s Tremper webinar on avy terrain, 1/23/19

On 1/23/19 Mountaineers Books, the way respectable merchant of outdoor adventure books, is hosting a webinar called “Terrain Choice - The Secret to Avalanche Safety” by Bruce Tremper, who is that waaaayyy respected avalanche professional that you may well have heard of or referenced at some point. I’d say this is definitely worth checking out:
    https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...18786894273539

link was broken for me but found it at https://store.utahavalanchecenter.or...-bruce-tremper

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    link was broken for me but found it at https://store.utahavalanchecenter.or...-bruce-tremper
    Thanks, I think I fixed it.

...and Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain is a must own for anyone even considering human powered ascent.

Register today, even if you can’t attend on January 23, and we’ll send you a recording of the event a day or two afterward. Plus, when you register you’ll automatically be entered to win one of three free copies of Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, 3rd Edition!
    dgvklad;skfj;lkasdjf

Registered thanks

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Thanks!

Great share, thanks!

Thanks for the heads up Meadow Skipper, registered.

Bump for 7pm mountain.

awesome, just registered

Last minute bump.

Interesting at :22 re: convex vs. concave.

^yeah - id like more info on that. (As I heard it Tremper said that recent Swiss studies show that there is no true correlation between avalanche occurrence and concavity)

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Was thinking the same. Audio / connection crapped out for me shortly thereafter unfortunately. Also, when talking about low consequence flat terrain at the start, wish he would have pointed out that area was still in the slide zone from above. That seems to be a "gotcha" for those less experienced or snowshoers etc that think since it's flat they are safe.

Thanks again for the link, I have read a lot of Bruce's writing but don't think I have ever heard his voice.

Thanks, Meadow Skipper. Always good to refresh

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Was thinking the same. Audio / connection crapped out for me shortly thereafter unfortunately. Also, when talking about low consequence flat terrain at the start, wish he would have pointed out that area was still in the slide zone from above. That seems to be a "gotcha" for those less experienced or snowshoers etc that think since it's flat they are safe.

Thanks again for the link, I have read a lot of Bruce's writing but don't think I have ever heard his voice.
    He spent a good portion of his talk on "connected terrain". With deep persistent slab issues that are very common here recently, this is a strong point. Our first fatality in Colorado was most likely due to a sympathetic side, not the primary one. Classic playing out of his concept. The debris from the second slide overlapped the initial slide and the skier was buried under that/both. Big shit rips wall to wall around my area quite often (Abe's to Marvins; Old Man's from CDC to Corner Pocket; Uneva; Shrine; Machine Gun ridge, etc.).

I’m not/wasn’t watching live but very psyched they’re sending out a recording. Thanks for sharing this.

Quite simplified, but gives you a big picture. He focused on terrain decisions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	610.2 KB 
ID:	266115

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Well, for me, practically, I'm always weary of rollovers, but intrinsically that is because I know (or don't) that I'm quickly escalating the slope angle I intended on skiing.

But, the same is true of concave slopes that are steeper to begin with, but you can see them.

He briefly touched on it when he mentioned those who ski on slopes on the other side of the angle curve. Come down from 50 to 39, which is inevitable, and bam.

So it kinda does make sense. It's the angle, not the curvature.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    He spent a good portion of his talk on "connected terrain". With deep persistent slab issues that are very common here recently, this is a strong point. Our first fatality in Colorado was most likely due to a sympathetic side, not the primary one. Classic playing out of his concept. The debris from the second slide overlapped the initial slide and the skier was buried under that/both. Big shit rips wall to wall around my area quite often (Abe's to Marvins; Old Man's from CDC to Corner Pocket; Uneva; Shrine; Machine Gun ridge, etc.).
    Yes, definitely a focus of the overall presentation just would have been a good example on the front end. Total respect for Bruce and the masses he has helped to educate, me included.

I thought his comments re:anchors in the q&a was interesting... essentially stating that if the trees are spaced widely enough that you can easily ski in between them they’re not doing you much good. I wonder if this is primarily a continental point of view vs maritime ecosystems. He did state that fir/spruce trees with wide, low branches embedded in the snowpack are better anchors than tall slender trees such as aspen which makes sense. In the cascades the forests are also very brushy with a lot of deadfall, compared to Utah, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I thought his comments re:anchors in the q&a was interesting... essentially stating that if the trees are spaced widely enough that you can easily ski in between them they’re not doing you much good. I wonder if this is primarily a continental point of view vs maritime ecosystems. He did state that fir/spruce trees with wide, low branches embedded in the snowpack are better anchors than tall slender trees such as aspen which makes sense. In the cascades the forests are also very brushy with a lot of deadfall, compared to Utah, for example.
    That has been a simple mantra for about 20+ years. At least in Colorado circles. Just look at any slide path/recent slide.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    That has been a simple mantra for about 20+ years. At least in Colorado circles. Just look at any slide path/recent slide.
    same in UT. https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/26533