Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent Chet 120

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    How does the BC handle our heavy PNW snow? I have an older pair ('12-'13) BCs that are probably my favorite ski ever, but can't handle it here when it gets chopped up.
    I've gotten more time on mine, spent both days this weekend at Meadows on them from untouched pow/varied chop/scrapped out chutes and I'd say they did well. I skied some really good, thicker/creamy PNW pow in Clark and they skied great. In chop they definitely took a little more effort/compensation with the legs because they lack the suspension that other skis have (bibby/billy goat/kartel) but they are really fun anyway and most of the time I was able to ski through chop no problem.

I'm just one data point and don't expect too much crud busting performance from 1750g skis.

I have had mine for a few days now so thought i'd chime in. I'm 5'9" / 145lbs / do not ski switch. Got the 192 and mounted them with Shifts at -3 from recommended. Boot: Lupo FCR 26.5 fwiw.

So far conditions encountered have been light pow about boot top deep, heavier wind deposited pow, wind crust, sun crust, perfect corduroy as well as very firm, but smooth hardpack and some heavier wettish sun melt at the bottom. All of this at Andermatt.

I havent had the chance to hand flex the 184, but the 192 is, with the exception of very tip and tail, NOT a noodle. It carved on hardpack much better than i expected. To echo what others have said this ski is a blast in anything soft. It isnt bad when the snow is chopped up either. Definitely no Bodacious, but the fun factor is much higher with this ski.

At -3 from recommended I felt like I wouldnt go any further forward, but at the same time wouldnt go much farther back. Wouldnt mind trying -3.5 or even -4. The ball of my foot is right around the narrowest part of the ski. I lined these up next to QST 106's / 188cm. The QSTs are mounted at the recommended line the binding on the BC120 is still ahead of that of the QST....by about a cm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190213_175322.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	583.2 KB 
ID:	269503
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomh79 View Post
    Anybody mounted a lighter than < 500g binding on the BC120 (ATK...)?
    Yeah I have Zeds on mine. Ski fine. very light.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Yeah I have Zeds on mine. Ski fine. very light.
    How have you found the Zed's power transfer on a ski this wide. Minus the brake issues they seem to have, I'm super interested in the Zeds for a dedicated touring setup.

They have been fine for me. I can't really tell much of a difference between the zed and the ion lt in ski performance. I've gone real fast on them inbounds coming back from the slack country and no issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Mounted -2 from recommended,
    Which is -4.5 from center I believe. Shorter ski than usual, so I didn’t want to deviate any more than that.

Wide AF - I think they are the 120s/XL. PLENTY of room on either side.
    Eyyy Supre. I think the line is at -2.9cm so you’re actually mounted at -4.9cm from center (if you’re at -2 from ManRec)

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Eyyy Supre. I think the line is at -2.9cm so you’re actually mounted at -4.9cm from center (if you’re at -2 from ManRec)
    I haven’t measured properly to confirm, but I believe you are correct.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Went -1.5 on the 192. It’s like skiing on butter knives. Way surpassed my expectations. Absurdly fun ski

Went -1.5 on the 192. It’s like skiing on butter knives. Way surpassed my expectations. Absurdly fun ski
    Stop! You're going to cost me too much money.

Sound sick. Would you be able to get the weight of the 192s? I saw the 184s were ~1725g according to blister. I haven’t seen a weight on the 192s though

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sound sick. Would you be able to get the weight of the 192s? I saw the 184s were ~1725g according to blister. I haven’t seen a weight on the 192s though

Any thoughts on a 5'5" 110 lbs female skier on the 176cm? Current powder setup has been Wailer 112's in a 168. With how different the mount points are I've wondered if it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Any thoughts on a 5'5" 110 lbs female skier on the 176cm? Current powder setup has been Wailer 112's in a 168. With how different the mount points are I've wondered if it could work.
    Buy em. Easy AF to throw around.

Buy em. Easy AF to throw around.
    Yeap. Soft, heavily rockered, light. All ingredients for throw around combo

I LOVE the wide Bents I’m on. Will I like the 100 for low/no snow resort days?

Yeah. Way more directional than the fatty, but super stable and fun on firm snow.

Yeah. Way more directional than the fatty, but super stable and fun on firm snow.
    Nice.

Anyone: What other similar playful skis are similar to the BC 100?

Anyone looking to sell a pair of 184cm BC 120s from last year, or know of anyone else selling? Lemme know if so.

Would trade for a 188 cm Faction CT 4.0 also...

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Anyone looking to sell a pair of 184cm BC 120s from last year, or know of anyone else selling? Lemme know if so.

Would trade for a 188 cm Faction CT 4.0 also...
    What is making you switch to bents? I got a sweet deal on ct 4.0s but was originally thinking about the BC 120s. I’m still debating on keeping the 4.0s to try them out for a season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pnwnelli View Post
    What is making you switch to bents? I got a sweet deal on ct 4.0s but was originally thinking about the BC 120s. I’m still debating on keeping the 4.0s to try them out for a season.
    They are actually really different. Skied both last year, chets are fun jibby ski that work really good on slow-medium speed, while 4.0 are a lot more serious: they are much stiffer and excel when you charge on them. You can compare Chris vs Candide styles of skiing and it actually tells a lot about differences in these skis

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    HA. I know what you mean. if I ski them more than 2 days in a row, I feel it. Three and forget about it. I don't know how folk DD them. Still my fav ski but there's a tax
    LOL. Gawd damn. Same here. We should start a support group.

Quote Originally Posted by pnwnelli View Post
    I wasn’t recovered fully from my ACL repair last season, and I only got a handful of days on the CT 4.0s, so my opinion may be way off. But in general I agree with HukuTa: the CT 4.0 is a pretty “game-on” ski. It skis stiffer than it hand flexes and it requires some speed to come alive. I bought it to fill the wide touring ski and sidecountry ski in my quiver, mounted with shifts. And for me at 5’9” and 150lbs (and probably because my knee wasn’t 100%), it was more ski than I wanted for that slot in the quiver.

I’m hoping the BC 120 will feel lighter on the way up (about 250 gms on paper) and easier to flick around at low speeds, and I’m willing to give up some high speed stability for that.

Also, I’m an unfaithful gear whore who is always looking for the next best thing

I've got a pair of Bent Chet 120s for this year and am debating mounting position. The recommended line (-2.9) sounds a bit too parkish for a guy with a racing background and no real intention of skiing switch (although I do say every year that I want to learn how to do that, not being able to see where I'm going just freaks me out every time I try. Also, get off my lawn, you damn kids).

I have a race background, I coach, and for the foreseeable future I'll be in New England, possibly with some travel to bigger mountains. If I do travel, the Bent Chets are likely to be coming along. I have other skis for firm snow, although these will probably see some mixed conditions. I don't do big air, let alone land it switch.

Based on the feedback above in this thread, I'm thinking about asking the shop to go -2 from recommended (for a total of -4.9). Anyone got constructive feedback on that thought process?

thanks.

What’s the verdict on the 184 vs 192? Going to pick a pair up and throw some Tectons on them. Probably won’t see much inbound use. Like the stability of the 192 but feel the 184 would be better on the skin track. Thoughts?

update on my set up. remounted with MTN bindings at -3cm from Rec and they tour much better than at -2cm from rec with the Zeds. Much more balanced position so less tip flairing up. Still ski super easy and fun.