Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bent Chet 120

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    Mounting:

Is there metal in there as a mounting plate? I notice the drill bit size is 4.1, so I got curious. I've seen that on other woodcore skis though and I've always used 3.5?

Do I need 4.1 and a tap to mount these?
    Cydwhit mounted mine with kingpins and mentioned something about one of the screw not fitting in the reinforced mounting area so perhaps he can chime in.

Love my 184's so much that I haven't touched my Wailer/Dynafit touring combo since I got them mounted. Surfy, fun, easy ski that's capable for its size/weight. Just as you'd expect from a BC.

Mounting:

Is there metal in there as a mounting plate? I notice the drill bit size is 4.1, so I got curious. I've seen that on other woodcore skis though and I've always used 3.5?

Do I need 4.1 and a tap to mount these?
    There is definitely a metal mounting plate. I used a 4.1mm bit to mount Shifts at 307mm BSL (with the heel track scooted forward 5-10mm for a little extra tail flex.) All holes hit metal. I did not use a tap, and they've been completely fine for two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    There is definitely a metal mounting plate. I used a 4.1mm bit to mount Shifts at 307mm BSL (with the heel track scooted forward 5-10mm for a little extra tail flex.) All holes hit metal. I did not use a tap, and they've been completely fine for two seasons.
    Great. Thanks, I think I'll just order a 4.1 ski bit and a tap, then I'll have them.

Great. Thanks, I think I'll just order a 4.1 ski bit and a tap, then I'll have them.
    Name:  e5640rywh8v51.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  32.2 KB

Has anyone skied the 120 chetler with dynafits? I'm not the biggest fan of the shift for touring but it skies down great. Was thinking about slapping some of the new rotation dynafits on them.

Not Dynafits, but I’ve skied mine with Xenics and Tectons. No issues (other than the stiff toe lever on the old Xenics, but that’s unrelated to the ski).

Quote Originally Posted by thurmondmb View Post
    Has anyone skied the 120 chetler with dynafits? I'm not the biggest fan of the shift for touring but it skies down great. Was thinking about slapping some of the new rotation dynafits on them.
    It probably depends how you want to ride the skis. If you're just looking at them for float and basic skiability, a tech binding is probably fine. If you're really looking to be more aggressive and playful - jumping, buttering, pressing, etc. like the Bent Chets were made for - I don't think you'll be particularly happy or safe in a tech binding.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Not Dynafits, but I’ve skied mine with Xenics and Tectons. No issues (other than the stiff toe lever on the old Xenics, but that’s unrelated to the ski).
    Tectons rule on this ski. Only issue I had with this setup was the crampons don’t fit over the bent chet
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

two questions for the mags:

1) i'm 5'8".. is the 184 length going to be ok? longest in my quiver is the 178 dps wailer 112..
    2) how do we feel about putting the Look Pivots on this ski? Use for powder days and cat/heli skiing. Don't need no 14 DIN, but what the hell

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post

1) i'm 5'8".. is the 184 length going to be ok? longest in my quiver is the 178 dps wailer 112..
    2) how do we feel about putting the Look Pivots on this ski? Use for powder days and cat/heli skiing. Don't need no 14 DIN, but what the hell
    Because of the forward mount they ski a little shorter than their true length. I think you'll be happy with a 184. I'm 5'9"-5'10", and I feel like the 184s are just a tad too short for me, but I definitely prefer them to the 192. Pivots will rock on this ski.

I'm just under 5'8" and the 184s are perfect.

I'm about the same height, 180ish pounds, and I find the 184 to be very playful, to the point where I wonder if I'd have been happier in mixed conditions going longer. I haven't skied the 192, but I'm fairly confident it would be too much work most of the time to be more fun. If I was ripping through crud at speed regularly, I'd probably feel differently...but I have other skis that are better suited for that anyhow.

Pivots seem like a good match if you don't intend to skin on them; I'd expect that the minimal impact on flex pattern would be a nice bonus, but I'm guessing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Bent Chet 120

5’7”, 165lbs

I’m on this year’s 184cm, mounted at -2cm from rec (-4.9cm) with Shifts.

Feels like a 180cm.

All good.

Thanks for the advice mags. Took it and ran with it; freshly mounted pair of 184's. Went with the Pivot 12 binding and after some time on them on the shop floor, decided i'd be happiest with a -4 mount from recommended line so that puts it what, -6.9 from TC? they look like they still have lots of tail and I'm stoked to get them out to see how they do for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bent chetler 2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	606.6 KB 
ID:	358170

Name:	Bent Chetler 1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	656.8 KB 
ID:	358171

Nice! Those look sick.

Bent Chets and Shifts

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Any of y'all mounting back from recommend, like -2, does that effect the way it skis? Or you still have an upright stance. Just took the shifts off, I'm at -0.5 , putting on tectons. Looking into the minus 2 area. I don't spin, land switch, etc, just like touring. Might jump off the occasional cliff, nothing big.
    Last edited by thurmondmb; 01-16-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Any of y'all mounting back from recommend, like -2, does that effect the way it skis? Or you still have an upright stance. Just took the shifts off, I'm at -.5 , putting on tectons. Looking into the minus 2 area. I don't spin, land switch, etc, just like touring. Might jump off the occasional cliff, nothing big.
    I think you'll be pretty happy at -2cm, maybe even further if you're never riding switch. I'm on the line with Shifts, but if I had them as a touring-only rig with your riding style I'd definitely mount them back of the line.

Lots of us have them 1-3 cm back and love. They still ski switch there too

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Lots of us have them 1-3 cm back and love. They still ski switch there too
    Can confirm.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I mounted at 94 straight pull from the tip which seemed to be right around recommend. Maybe that was 3cm back from true center. The marks on the ski were 3-4mm different from one ski to the next though.

Such fun skis. A decade on hoji type skis: Renegade, EHP, Hoji (goto for last 3 years), Kusalas. These skis are softer, but in a nice way. They're really hovercrafts that float sideways with ease.

Technique style didn't change, maybe a touch lighter so I don't overwhelm the tips in crud. Baked in crud was a little rough, so skiing that with lighter feet would be the biggest technique shift.

RE: Short tips, I just forgot about it after 1 run.

Any aging jibbers looking to get back into the ring: 3 days on them and my 360s haven't been this good in 10 years. Lots of platform to pop off, and no swing weight. 180s, switch to the road, all that...

540s?

Any aging jibbers looking to get back into the ring: 3 days on them and my 360s haven't been this good in 10 years. Lots of platform to pop off, and no swing weight. 180s, switch to the road, all that...

540s?
    I was amazed at their swing weight my first few days out on 'em. Absolutely the jibbiest fat ski I've ridden.

Bent Chet 120

Mount at -2. Puts you at -4.9cm. Perfect on the 184cm. Enough tip but still turny.

Add Shifts = so light. Surfy. Dreamy.

Name:	IMG_9382.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	360052
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-27-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Just wanted to give a quick update. Swapped the shifts for tectons and moved the mount to -2 from recommend and like it. Tours well and I feel like I didn't loose much surfiness. Fwiw, I ski a devastator in bounds and like progressive mount points and surfy skis and -2 feels good. Skis switch fine when messing around at the resort. I don't ski switch in pow

Tecton vs Shift?

Just wanted to give a quick update. Swapped the shifts for tectons and moved the mount to -2 from recommend and like it. Tours well and I feel like I didn't loose much surfiness. Fwiw, I ski a devastator in bounds and like progressive mount points and surfy skis and -2 feels good. Skis switch fine when messing around at the resort. I don't ski switch in pow
    What drove you to change from the Shift to the Tecton? I just bought the 2021 BC in a 184" length and am debating between those two bindings... Any advice or recommendation between the Atomic Shift and the Tecton?

Thanks!