Big Natural Slide, Southern Sangres

Will post photos later. It seemed like nobody else had been there since I was there last Friday. Aspect ENE, elevation 12,200 ft, ~2 ft crown, saw debris more than 500 ft below.

I hope people are careful with the Nambe chutes and Raven Ridge in the near term future.

Crown estimated at 2 ft high. It didn't seem like a good idea to get closer for a better estimate.

Looking down from the same spot as the previous shot.

Slide in first pic starts halfway down ridge coming from peak, at the small trees below the ridge. Lots of debris at the bottom left.

The slide might have ran 200 ft along the ridge to a lower saddle. There was a crown about that far away, not totally sure it was connected.

Not a lot of obs from that area. You should post an obs report on CAIC.

(This is Santa Fe-ish.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Shoe View Post
    (This is Santa Fe-ish.)
    Where specifically?

You should share on the forum:

http://www.nnmae.org/phpbb3/

Sky knows about nnmae. I don’t see him posting there much though.

Those pics seem to be on the north side of the ridge between Heaven’s Hill and Lake Peak. Shoot me if I just gave away a stash.

How you been Artie? Long time no see.

Well the Fight Club rules were already broken by the posting of this thread. But it seems worth letting people know they shouldn't go bombing the chutes off Raven's Ridge any time soon. Most people probably know that but this is a good reminder.

It's nothing personal, but how many forums do I need to use? I have no problem with anybody sharing the pictures/observations there.

MS is >90% correct. However, the ridge runs north-south and I would call it the east side of the ridge. I'll shoot you a nasty-gram shortly here. Honestly never seen tracks on these slopes although we were skiing them pretty regularly a few years ago and using this particular part of the slope to re-climb Lake Peak for multiple laps. It's kind of nice to see first hand how those convenient little chutes get formed. Hadn't seen any avalanches on this side of Lake Peak in the 5 or so years I've been skiing it but always been a bit wary of these slopes.

No big, Sky. I’ve kind of evolved my take of the “first rule” mode. I’ve just been seeing so many clueless noobs hitting the local bc lately (and literal crowds skinning up the ski area) that I’d like to show them that people can get fucked up here.

And heh, I’ve skied in that area (a number of times were with Cody, RIP). Some really nice little shots there.

Here's a shot from yesterday showing some perspective on how big that crown actually was.