Marker toe pieces shearing off

I’m having a bit of a conundrum. I’ve had and used marker bindings for years without issue. This year, I’ve broken two pairs of bindings in strikingly similar ways. The first pair was a marker griffin, and the toe piece sheared off on a hard turn. The ski went flying down the hill. I figured it was a fluke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	265541

Then just yesterday, I sheared the toe off of a marker duke in a very similar way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4035.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	265543

Both bindings were likely from 2011/2012 and I have skied them hard for a long time. Both incidents happened on pretty cold days (temps in the single digits). Is this a known issue or am I just incredibly unlucky?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

seen a few dukes of similar vintage go that way

I think you are LUCKY that it has not happened before

Looks like Charles DeMar skied across it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Marker only offers a 3 year warranty on bindings. At least you were not injured.

Even the strongest bindings will break sometimes. I managed to snap the 1/2 inch solid steel toe height adjustment bolt on "bombproof" Salomon 916 race bindings.

Judging by your extra long and skinny toes, you’re cranking some serious g’s. Nice work. Glad you’re ok. I hate to say it, but after a few years of skiing griffons and jesters, I tried out some STH 2’s. I won’t go back to Marker- the ease of entry and predictable release did it for me. Quiver currently is made up of STH 2’s and pivots.

Had a buddy do about the same thing a couple years ago. Blasting through chop and all the sudden is tumbling. Never found the toe. Pretty sure those were within warranty so he ended up with new bindings.

At least you have good taste in skis.

The shop you bought them from might be inclined to warranty them, but likely not. Marker is pretty easy to deal with on the warranty front. I’d say it’s time for new bindings. Everything wears out, even as mentioned, solid metal Looks and Salomon 916s

Maybe you pulled the Iron Cross too hard and sheared off the toe pieces.

Sucks. I just got some griffons and usually have pivots, now I’m a little concerned.

Thanks guys,

I brought them to Colorado ski and golf and they are going to contact Marker to get their take. I'm not expecting much, but I figured maybe Marker would want to know at least.