Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worth hiring a guide for BS?

Headed to BS in a few weeks with a group of 5. We’ve never been before so curious if it’s worth hiring a guide for the first day?

Lots of maggots in that zone if you're good skiers just buy lots of beers apre

What kind of skiers are you? Where do you normally ski and what other destinations have you skied? But generally speaking the answer is no.

It depends on the cost and the day.

If it is a day with good visibility and more than 12" new snow and the tram is open then the line cuts may be worth it. BTW there are some really cute female type guides who can ski very well. If you can keep up.

Does BS allow you to skip the tram line with a guide? That is pretty sweet.

They do, on big days it can be a sore point and the vibe directed at the clients can be harsh.

The locals have learned to live with it for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    They do, on big days it can be a sore point and the vibe directed at the clients can be harsh.

The locals have learned to live with it for the most part.
    At least it's not that stupid program they tried to implement some years back where you could 'reserve' a seat on the tram if you showed up early enough in the AM at the office. That tin can barely handles 15 people, and having a third of the spots on each ride reserved made for some real lifeline anger. I was not happy holding a season pass that year.

The occasional group with a guide jumping to the front is far better. At least you know those people are paying out the nose for it, and likely won't be spoiling the good stashes.

Waiting for the answer to my question. It's not a particularly huge or complicated ski area and the difficulty ratings are comparable to other western resorts. Wind is a big factor in where the snow is or isn't--at least that was the case the one time I was there. Slide for life conditions can develop off the top of Lone Peak so it's worth asking patrol what the snow is like. The easiest way off the peak is a very solid black diamond, everything else is double black. You need avy gear, (only) one partner, and a reservation to ski Big Couloir. For the north summit snowfield you need gear but not a reservation and you can have a party of up to 4 I think. This was as of 2 years ago. someone local should weigh in further.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Campbell View Post
    Headed to BS in a few weeks with a group of 5. We’ve never been before so curious if it’s worth hiring a guide for the first day?
    Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Lots of maggots in that zone if you're good skiers just buy lots of beers apre
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    What kind of skiers are you? Where do you normally ski and what other destinations have you skied? But generally speaking the answer is no.
    These questions need answers that will help. Be honest in your groups ability. Don’t want someone to put in over your head with no easy way out. You don’t “need” one for any resort really. Obvious lines are, well, obvious. There are a ton of really really great lines in the trees off Andesite and over on the old moonlight side as well as off the Dakota lift and Shedhorn lift that a guide/local will be able to show you that you wouldn’t find on your own. A local/guide can keep you out of the bad shark infested areas as well and put you into the wind loaded areas quickly. I’ve seen plenty days where the lower Mtn had 3” of new and yet the dictator chutes were skiing waist deep with Marx only skiing boot top.

5 guys in our group. 3 will ski pretty much anything except dbl black trees/chutes (could probably handle them but we all have families and need to stay healthy). The other 2 guys can ski blacks no problem but are a bit conservative and don't enjoy rocks or tight spaces. We are from Michigan so don't have ave gear so that determines where we go as well.

Well, if you do hire the guide the avi gear is part of the package.

You don't really need the guide to find your way so much as to pave your way. They can get you down the Big or the N. Summit where otherwise you might be hosed.

don't enjoy rocks
    They're gonna love big sky.

Just look up?

5 guys in our group. 3 will ski pretty much anything except dbl black trees/chutes (could probably handle them but we all have families and need to stay healthy). The other 2 guys can ski blacks no problem but are a bit conservative and don't enjoy rocks or tight spaces. We are from Michigan so don't have ave gear so that determines where we go as well.
    just ski shedhorn and dakota or lone tree and six shooter. you'll have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    They're gonna love big sky.
    Yeah they will will gripe and if they get sick of it enough they’ll just go ski on their own.

It's not a particularly huge...ski area
    Huh, really?

Yeah they will will gripe and if they get sick of it enough they’ll just go ski on their own.
    If they don't like rocks you can tell them they can get a core shot fixed for $5--they make their profit on volume.

They have maps and signs. You have eyes. I think you'll be ok.

...We are from Michigan...
    Do not waste money on the guide as cutting the tram line will not make any difference for you and your crew. The local mags and those who have lived/visited there have given you more then you will ever know what to do with. In addition based on your post, I fear that is more then your crew should be attempting. Not sure how much experience your crew has in the west but BS is not Boyne Mountain/Highlands, Nubs Nob, Timber Ridge, Caberfae or Pine Knob... You might want to be asking for lines closer to the YC side of things...if returning home healthy is the top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Do not waste money on the guide as cutting the tram line will not make any difference for you and your crew. The local mags and those who have lived/visited there have given you more then you will ever know what to do with. In addition based on your post, I fear that is more then your crew should be attempting. Not sure how much experience your crew has in the west but BS is not Boyne Mountain/Highlands, Nubs Nob, Timber Ridge, Caberfae or Pine Knob... You might want to be asking for lines closer to the YC side of things...if returning home healthy is the top priority.
    Betsy Snite from Grand Rapids, MI won silver in slalom in the 1960 Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    We’ve all skied out west a minimum of 40-50 days as we take several trips each year. I get what you’re saying BS is not any of those Michigan places and that’s why we travel. Michigan skiing sucks. I’m sure we’ll find plenty of great spots to run at bs just wasn’t sure with it being so big if it’s worth the $ to learn the mountain faster.

I don't want to name names, but locals can be bought.

However, it may be cheaper to hire a guide (but not nearly as fun)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2fb1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	702.5 KB 
ID:	265808
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Huh, really?
    It’s big for North America
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It’s big for North America

Big Sky!

Its Big for North America.......

Mind if I send that to their Marketing Dept? I will split the commission with ya

Betsy Snite from Grand Rapids, MI won silver in slalom in the 1960 Winter Olympics
    Rebecca Selig from Kalamazoo, MI won the 2009 World Free Skiing Championships. Betsy competed in the 1956 Olympics in Cortina and I know Rebecca skied big mountains moving out of MI in the late 90's. I am not saying you can not be a talented skier from MI, I am saying they are not apples to apples and you should not expect them to be on your first trip west or to yurp.

We’ve all skied out west a minimum of 40-50 days as we take several trips each year. I get what you’re saying BS is not any of those Michigan places and that’s why we travel. Michigan skiing sucks. I’m sure we’ll find plenty of great spots to run at bs just wasn’t sure with it being so big if it’s worth the $ to learn the mountain faster.
    Awesome. Have a great trip!