Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Canucks, tell me about Trail BC

So I have been looking for a reasonable spot in BC to pick up a second home and Buster in a thread mentioned Trail BC. Looks interesting, real estate prices seem cheap to me and the area looks nice except for that damn smelter. Reading up, it confirmed ongoing pollution issues from the plant. Should I skip looking at RE in Trail BC? O and the summers sound hotter than where I live now but the skiing looks great. WWMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

they had me at "uphill" bus

skid luxury

Stinko Cominco

Rossland is much prettier, cleaner air, away from the smelter, different/better weather, less busy, closer to all of the goods.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Little Italy. Pollution is much better than years past (the hills are starting to grow trees again), but still can be an issue. Most reliable little airport in the west Kootenay for getting to Vancouver for int flights. Fruitvale area to the east of town is nice.

I wouldn't live there full time, but It's not a bad place to visit. I know there's at least one mag who lives or has lived there full time.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    they had me at "uphill" bus

RIP JP. Fuck.

Nice area. I don’t think you’d want to live in trail though. Rossland is at the top of the hill serviced by the transit bus. Rossland is a very nice spot. World class skiing and biking and some nice places to eat.
    I’d say Revy but it’s getting quite pricey and the supply chain for real estate is limited. I do give it a slight edge over golden but golden has some good deals and vail has bought the hill so that could offer a big expansion in its already great skiing

I'm a Nelson fan myself. Whitewater right there and lots of options.

Yes Nelson’s a great little town. Little bigger/busier than sleepy Rossland but still smallish ski town. Amazing mix of food/restaurants. Ski hills a bit farther away. Castlegar is about the same distance from Red/Rossland and Nelson/whitewater. Thing I like about Revy, Rossland and to a degree Golden is the ski hill being right there close. Not that it’s far in Nelson. I guess it depends what the op is after as a priority and his budget is. Kimberley is a nice little town . Decent skiing but not the best. Fernie is pricey with lots of Berta money buying it up but great skiing and super close to town. If the budget is flexible, I know of a sweet bit of property just outside town limits in Revy that I’d call a dream property . I think it’s 8 or 9 acres for 800g. Super close to town, great area and taxes are less than 1/4 of being within town limits. That’s like 20 or 30usd so worth a thought

I do a fair amount of work in Trail, I’ve been going there for the last 15 years a few times a year. I’ve literally been scoping the area for a future retirement location, 80k houses look appealing. Rossland, Warfield, Fruitvale make more sense. When/if Teck closes Trail is as good as gone. I’m in love with the west Kootenay’s and will live there one day. As more and more people leave the greater Vancouver area, prices in ***the right*** small towns will rise, Trail May or not be the right place.

Edited cuz booze

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Trail is a gritty mill town at the bottom of the hill, nice people cuz they are all union so you are all brothers and sista's, Redmmtn/ Rossland is the top of the hill

a ski instructor at the local hill mentioned Trail as a place to buy a house since this is the second time in a month i have heard this Idea I would guess the RE must be cheap

I visited the west koots a few times to fix HW back in the 80's, I met people who would talk about the beginnings of Red mtn which was built by the community, the ski hill was built from parts that were borrowed from Cominco, everyone was in on it and everyone turned a blind eye
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I like Warfield. Trail not so much

I'm living in and much prefer Rossland for all the obvious reason's, but spend lots of time in Trail, and have become much less negative than I once was. It's got all the amenities of a regional center, and easy access to World class recreation, but because it's got a huge ugly (but not stinky) smelter in the middle of town, prices are lower than just about anywhere comparable. Sure there are lead contamination issues, but that's only a legitimate concern if you have young kids, and some of the neighborhoods are actually pretty sweet. Sunningdale has a beautiful and extensive park along the Columbia River, and an awesome mountain bike loop from your door.

I haven’t spent time in summer but during the colder months Trail always seemed foggy and depressing. Low elevation and the river will do that eh.

As I remember its about a 15min drive from Trail to Rossland pretty much straight up or down and its a continuum of gritty mill town to cool mountain village, Warfield was half way looked ok driving thru and might be worth checking ?

40 or 50 years ago remember my dad saying he had run guys from Trail on his crew of steel workers ( big plant in Burnaby ) I doubt the effects of lead were on his radar at that time but he said in general they would do crazy things that didn't make sense, any how that was back in the day and it sounds like Cominco have cleaned it up

I suggested to my ski instructor bro maybe she wants to go there in summer before making a jump and think hard if you wana raise kids there and consider you are already living in one of the best places TO raise kids

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Most reliable little airport in the west Kootenay for getting to Vancouver for int flights.
    Wait, did you just say Castlegar was reliable?

no I think he said "most" reliable.

Cancelgar is facing a very low bar.

I think comparing Rossland/Nelson to Trail is a bit unfair.

It really depends on what your price-point is.

$200,000 and change gets you a small condo in Rossland or a small house in Warfield - so what is the commute worth to you?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Wait, did you just say Castlegar was reliable?
    its fairly common to rent a car, split the $$$ with your 3 new friends from the departure lounge who are trying to fly out and drive to Kelowna

I grew up in Castlegar, lived in Rossland, Nelson and in the area ruraly.

Trail is very blue collar, "all" the professionals that work there live in Rosslandia. If you're considering eating anything you grow in the local soil you might want to rethink that. Local kids get lead tested because there is so much lead (and other shit like arsenic) in the soil.

At night when its quiet you can hear the smelter pretty much everywhere in town.

Some days you can taste the acid in the air. Last summer there was a tanker truck spilled acid on the highway, every vehicle that drove through it was written off by ICBC.

I'd give it a pass.

For proximity to skiing, biking, lakes, glacier, hot springs, and a busy (for the kootenays) downtown Nelson would be a better choice. Having said that, I'd move back to Rossland, mostly because it's small and the ski hill is 4 minutes away (the base is technically in the municipality of Rossland). There are also way fewer people on the bike trails.

$0.05CAD

Thanks guys, I was afraid it sounded to good to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Check out prices up in the blaeberry in golden. Good deals and possibly a great investment if vail blows up kick horse. Drive to the hill is similar distance as trail to red Mt

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Check out prices up in the blaeberry in golden. Good deals and possibly a great investment if vail blows up kick horse. Drive to the hill is similar distance as trail to red Mt
    Liar!

Shut up!

Nothing to see here!

These aren't the towns you're looking for.

Move along, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Liar!

Shut up!

Nothing to see here!

These aren't the towns you're looking for.

Move along, move along.
    Just trying to get the moberely pub open again.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Just trying to get the moberely pub open again.
    Ahhh. True, true.