Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Interesting to know how he flipped the raft. Glad nothing really came of it other than cold and wet.
    This ^

I also wouldn't mind hearing what went down, always useful to know what to look out for. If I can learn from someone else I'm always down with that!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I think the thing most folks are underestimating when it comes to swimming in waders is drag. You may feel confident swimming in waders in light current, but in fast water, the hydraulic drag of waders and those clunky wading boots will kill most people without a pfd. You'll just be struggling to keep your head up and you'll go where the water wants to pull you. If a current sucks you down just 5 feet below the surface, you may not be able to kick hard enough to get back up.

I mentioned this before but it bears repeating. When the discussion of drowning comes up, I always ask the person to estimate the weight of a cubic meter of water. Most everyone guesses it is between 400-800lbs, which shows how drastically they are underestimating the kinetic energy of moving water. A cubic meter of water weighs over a ton. Here is the critical factor: with each doubling of water's velocity, it's kinetic energy is quadrupled.

You want to be real careful about overestimating your ability to handle fast water, especially when its cold. Here's the part where I tell you about the time I saw two drunk guys make this mistake. True story: I was walking down the street 20 years ago when I saw a commotion next to a bridge. Two drunk guys had just dared each other to jump off the middle of the bridge. It was only 40 feet high but the apex of the span was at least 250 feet from either side. It was late october and it was damn cold, turbulent muddy water. One guy made it. We watched the other guy die. I actually saw his last breath bubbling up to the surface.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 10-08-2019 at 01:37 PM.

2019 maggot fish gazing and shit talking

Just for reference, this happened in a class IV rapid. Of the three swimmers in our incident, one was wearing waders. I’ve never had the experience of swimming in waders so I asked him about it. He said it was less than pleasant and far from easy. 0/10 would not do again.

I’ll give you the short version, because the long version is really long. Ask me about it in person over some beers.

Dibs’s boat had a swimmer in the middle of the (long) rapid. Dibs shipped his oars, swimmer was recovered, then he had trouble getting his oar back into the oar lock. They hit a rock, flipped, and swam a long way before we could scoop them up.

Things were pretty shitty for a while.

You can Monday morning QB all you want, but we’ve been doing that ourselves for a month now. It happened. It could have been far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    You can Monday morning QB all you want, but we’ve been doing that ourselves for a month now. It happened. It could have been far worse.
    I hear that. I had a close call this summer when I suffered my first ever twist-and-lock foot entrapment while wet wading rapids in Bitch Creek. I lost my wading staff and almost lost my rod. I was by myself, hanging face down with my trapped foot higher than my body. I was hung up for about 90 seconds. Honestly, if i wasn't within arm's length of the bank, I may have been unable to stabilize and escape. What a lame way to go out, drowning in waist deep water. I was shook and second guessing myself for awhile.

Just for reference, this happened in a class IV rapid. Of the three swimmers in our incident, one was wearing waders. I’ve never had the experience of swimming in waders so I asked him about it. He said it was less than pleasant and far from easy. 0/10 would not do again.

I’ll give you the short version, because the long version is really long. Ask me about it in person over some beers.

Dibs’s boat had a swimmer in the middle of the (long) rapid. Dibs shipped his oars, swimmer was recovered, then he had trouble getting his oar back into the oar lock. They hit a rock, flipped, and swam a long way before we could scoop them up.

Don’t think anyone is looking to Monday morning QB anything.
    Thanks for the short version. Sounds like a shitty deal that can happen to anyone. Swimming in waders isn’t easy but doable.

Gnar.

But did I miss something? Why was SFB rowing a raft? What happened to the Tupperware Mothership?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    its my raft
    3 murs payments and the fugue will own 1/2, I bought it for ladore and fishing whitewater
    don't use it much
    in the absence of needing to bounce off things and white water or be taken apart and portaged or put in aircraft driftboats are superior fishing crafts
    period.
    no debate nessicito
    had a sense of foreboding from the gits go that morning
    rowed triplet super clean although I made everybody else row it
    we don't bounce hard boats off things to many oar strokes style
    tiplets spooky
    not real long but its shit consequences from the git go till the end
    and im glad shit didn't go down in that rapid
    we sat in a down pour for an hour until the other group ran hells 1/2 acre
    they were good white water peeps all wearing helmets and ran it pretty good
    came in a bit off my line and not hot enough dipped the nose on pucker fucker or whatever the cool kids call the rock in the begining
    Hannah not from montanna had an body outta boat experience
    had the throwline out and into tophers hand quick
    he threw what musta been good I hammered down avoided the mid rapid rocks and he pulled her in
    she had swallowed a bit of water and was pretty spooked
    I members lookin up and thinking I can help git her in and still avoid lucifer
    and as you can see from the video pulling an exhausted soaked swimmer aboard aint easy
    but in hindsight I shouldn't have relinquished control of the sticks
    cause we got her on the back of the raft and I turned around in time to see the left oar ship
    my guess is I fought 3 or 4 maybe 5 seconds to git er back in the lock made a few strokes thought we had it
    but with both of them still on the back stack and no one to highside we were fucked
    they got pitched I got pummeled under the raft by the oars had the anchor rope all wrapped in me
    got out from under Hannah and I grabbed the raft we were doing alright but then I think the front casting brace caught something and the raft pitched and spun and at this point we were on the side in front of the raft barrling thru the next class 2 until we could work the chix line to the back and roos and rob pulled us out once we got the yeti out of the front and a paco pad that had both valves open and filled with water it flipped back pretty easy.
    the other boat salvaged the sup, fishing bag, net the contents of the drybox that floated and all 3 hats we were wearing.
    sun came out we made it to jones hole and theres river smiles and theres well im glad were all still here smiling river smiles
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks for the recap Dibs. Scary shit for sure. Definitely not judging I have flipped before too. Broke an oar at a crucial stroke.
    The not helping and keeping on the sticks is good advice. Especially if you aren’t the only person still in the boat.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

1st rule in rescue
    dont becomes
    victims needin rescue
    other than that im gonna be a little tighter on my rig to flipps brototicals in the future
    oh and once i pull that permit and find me a catarafter to haul my all my shit
    and a crew that dont mind dealing with the potentials of swiftwater rescue
    im gonna run the hog rigged to flip empty with one ballsy highsider copilot
    actually the yampa at high waters or middle forks salmons more feasible
    thats the dream anyhows
    one of them humblin didnt kills ya and after my friend swam hells 1/2 acre twice shell tell ya
    shit happens fast crack open the can of calm get your feet up and downstream avoid shit and wait for safetey and rescue protocols to occour
    so damn i think i skipped sums stokes
    last i members i was in landoluauland
    it poured that night and puts the kabosh on freestone plans
    and this ones came up lames

i hopes her tootsies better

wents on a trailer roller bar rescue recovery and mt way

poundkeypolarizationmatters

poundkeyproductplacement

#sendfreeswag2fsb
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

left me phone on the bottom of the shoshone and lando, louie and jose in the cfoy and the land that i guess tim wade created nutured to fruation and saved from heathen those who row upstream and trespass against and headed north
    God and I woke up in a overpriced best western in a bozone daze
    good things there was guidance on the wall

stopped in and saw the Ro Bros
    picked up a new ride for me hog

gits me sums 14" spinnin poopfish rims and ill be stylin
    chick wasted way to much time trying to get me to trade in 17 years of hog mojo and the last4 days of hammerin it into rocks and shizz that would not bring the happy if i had a nice new fiberglass chines to worry bout
    dipped paws into claasic western waters at several opurtunities

watched sum sports get guided into dinks coincidentally wearing chest waders in the god days of aug
    thought about helping out with safety briefings

made er to

did conduct safety briefings

in addition to bridges and public access to their water for all recrationists
    they gots medicine shops where you can score an oz a day worth with a pateint card
    MTFTW
    fueld up

ended ups

locals are an odd lot

#robroprotip
    them 2x rollers send er off the trailer with a bit of oomf and well makin the fish po po chuckles as your ass almost takes one of them outlaw jose wales mo boat rides never hurts
    and got our floats and be happy on

managed to put a few in the nets

but truth be tolds i was just so stoked to be finally floating waters of undaunted courages
    capt meriweather and his crew including the goofy newfy didnt bother floating shit that wasnt cool

bit fuckin mossy

well yeah reverend approved holy water cheers

pulled out

rolled back to camp ate well
    donated some mur spare braincells we werent needin here

awoke early

im not gonna poundkeyit bfastochamps michealphelps wokenboke
    but yeah more coffee please

threw in up top

way mur peeps and i guess you can reserve braids and expect other boats to realize your resting yur beat
    or sumthin stupid like that
    yeah right

pulled out ran shuttles bucked camp said goodbyes and thanks for sharing your home waters to a friend
    and pounded out craiglandia to the slc
    fucker made me stop to add another dip my puppy paws into classic western waters bucket list thing

rolled in after midnights and thru some serious flooded the lcc rain
    oh and well yeah
    sometimes ya just gotta throw em sideways and listen cause like buzz said every rapid speaks plainly

sometimes the deciferings the lingos harder

i think i missed the parts where i catch the troots rowing and throwing
    with my fly pole

Nice pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nice pics!!
    We tried to pick you up as we passed thru Helena on our way north to Craig, but you were too busy waterskiing with my ex-gf.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

^^That's right buddy...livin' Minnesota style.

2019 maggot fish gazing and shit talking

Family member with a Wisconsin bass.
    (apparently Wisconsin bass are not as #HUGE as Minnesota bass)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	839.2 KB 
ID:	297089

Yeahman gets bonus points for the Big Sky t-shirt !

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

One of my favorite fishy pics this year. Captn Lumpy bending a 12 footer with a 22inch butterball on the other end. We were high holed by a guideboat so waded all the way across that muthafuckah and he womps it straight away. Fuck your 400$ a sandwhich and a tip
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Furgot pictoralsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191025_222641_222.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	299443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191025_222641_220.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	299444
    Bunny Don't Surf

nice did youse guys leave the boats?
    been rackins up the last of my
    #pooperbonuspoints
    been hittin the dyke bout noon
    went 0 fer bout the 1st 20
    waters pretty murky and the eats aren't always easily visible

Having regained the mojo and gitting better lies I think I 8 outta 10ed the next mile
    cool thing about the rubber lips is once you sink that barb rarely do they come unstuck

Stuck 3 or 4 on the way back

1st time ive had this happen

colder waters got em fairly lethargic and I throwin 1x floro tippet so I was able to git away with it

negative wiper signs seen
    cheers anyhow

Name:	IMG_5456.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	299679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5458.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	299680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5460.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	299681
    No fish pics. I suck at those anyway. Not many feshes were caught but a fuckin helluva day out there. Cold. Clear. A little W. No anglers! Absolutely fantastic time of year around here.

A few trouts were played with. We were definitely huge fly fisherman.

hell yeahs i so need at least one more river tip
    the better 1/2 keeps reminding me i needs to git in shape for ski season
    after blowing both rotator cuffs I gave this guy up for the sup
    but bust em out for shuttles and exercise and well sups season aint quite over
    but the consequences of suckin on the sup are now high

good call as way less targets and much more dispersed
    Bikes an advantage in covering ground , sitting higher allowed ~ another foot of vis in the water
    disadvantage, movement and noise tend to bring the unhappy slink or bolt away
    And youre needing to scan the water and keep an eye on the road
    found playas
    got sum to eat

swapped out flies to the ballpeen craw aka 4eyed geek
    Seems the wider silhouette and mur flash turns more fish off
    But the ones that eat it do so con mas mucho gustos

winds cranked up pretty good
    and the duckwhackers where certainly getting shots

Made it out to

head wind back sucked
    but stuck a few more on the way back

non of the cool kids say tight lines no more if they evar did
    bent sticks of hookedupness is what im goin with today

Time for some shit talking.

Since when has it been okay to target spawning trout on the redds?

Since when has it been socially acceptable for anyone to advocate fishing to spawning trout on the redds?

Since when has it been socially unacceptable to call out people advocating fishing to spawning trout on the redds?

Jesus Fucking Christ I must have it all wrong.....

Redd Rapen and pegged beads for everybody!

No longer huge fly fisherman we are huge redd rapermen.

/rant
    Bunny Don't Surf

You’re not wrong, but you are overreacting. Let it go, pal. You aren’t going to change his mind.

I will admit I was a little hasty on my callout.
    I was caught surprised at the defense of redd rape and reacted poorly
    It's clear I'm not changing anyones mind except my own.

I would have upped my catching 4-5000% following their approach out at fonts last weekend
    Ethics be damned sounds like a good goddamned time!
    Fuck It I'm in!

/sarcasm

Thanks for the video and the discussion Underoos!
    Always the controversy starter LOL....

Last edited by TheFugitive; 10-30-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarity
    Bunny Don't Surf

whats goin on?
    am I in that video?

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    whats goin on?
    am I in that video?
    If you arent you should be...
    The other stuff is just me overeacting to facebook bullshit.
    Realized it by the time in was in too deep.
    I fell for it hook line and sinker (pun intended)

Monday was facking cold in Southern Utard
    Fished a bunch of new water with nothing too hudge to hand except for the experience.
    Marysvale canyon section of the Sevier may be some of the fishiest water in youtah. Couldnt seal the deal (story of my life) but exercised one for a bit that put a helluve bend in the 6 wt. Local legend sez 50/50 chance it was huge brown or 1 pound smallmouth

Name:	Screenshot_20191030-190455_Chrome.jpeg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	300281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_123854.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	300282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_123842.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	300283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_090731.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	300284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_120358.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	300289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191029_035622.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	300290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191028_083732.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	300292
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 10-31-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Name:	CE086D96-FBBF-4EFC-A763-0C749025C47E.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	666.0 KB 
ID:	300726
    Harvest the ride.