Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

2019 maggot fish gazing and shit talking

If you would like to see a video of the snook catch you can click this super sweet facebook link. I don’t have it on the YouTube.
    Disclaimer - plug rod, but who cares. It’s a huge fucking snook.

https://www.facebook.com/1070955997/...935940?sfns=mo

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Nice, did you get ahold of the boys? We will be at the place in Irwin, starting May 15th for the summer, lets get on the water!
    Hell yeah! Should be a killer summer, tons of water.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Nice, did you get ahold of the boys? We will be at the place in Irwin, starting May 15th for the summer, lets get on the water!
    Yup. P, R and I will be drinking, I mean fishing. You should get the hall pass!

Awesome news you guys are gonna be here! We will get plenty of time on the water. Looks like we are going in on a lake boat and will have it on a mooring up at Leeks. You and the lady will have to come up and zip around with us.

Dfinn - how was your trip?

Trip was awesome. Permit are assholes. Lots of shots at tailers and one eat. Cool island, amazing diving. Still traveling back but will post pics and info once I get home and caught up.

Sounds awesome! Lemme know if you come up for some spring fishin

Permit are the worst kind of assholes! Follow you forever just to flip you the bird and swim off. I always tie my own knots - I learned the hard way a couple times on big tarpon. If I am going to lose a fish on a bad knot, its going to be my bad knot!
    Dfinn, we have the place in Irwin pretty much all set up, you ever need a place to crash in Swan Valley you have one. Schwerty I am stoked to be up there, we are going to have LOTS of days on the water, and sitting on the porch sipping brown water. We are actually going to be at the cabin for a few days in March, not sure I will have time to fish, but if I do I will let you know!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Sure, piss off the Permit gods.
    I love all Permit, and often invite homeless permit to the lodge after fishing to share tasty crabs with me. My daughter’s middle name is Permit. All hail Permit.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Teleee - we are gone 3/26-4/9. If you come before that we can definitely fish.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I have pissed off the permit gods for some time now. I say fuck you jobu I do it myself!
    Schwerty that just might work, I think we will be there on the 16th and 17th. I am sure I could grab J's boat if yours is still buried
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Managed to get away yesterday to fish...a rarity for me.

I’ve recently put together a streamer setup as I’ve added a 7wt to the lineup. It was raining in the mountains Friday night, so figured it would be a perfect opportunity to chuck and duck some big flys.

I was committed to learning my new rig and concentrating on fishing streamers. I was not even going to take my 5wt Scott or any other fly boxes, other than the big bugs. The area has been known to have car break ins, so I didn’t want to risk having my gear stolen. At the last minute, I did decide to throw my backup, sub $100, 5wt in the car.

Got on the road around 9:30 am in generally miserable conditions. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	533.9 KB 
ID:	273334
    I had connected with another angler on a local forum, and he sent me a text saying the river was dropping, no more real rain expected and that the river we were targeting probably wasn’t going to be ideal for streamer fishing under the current conditions. I messaged him back, that while that was a bummer, I was pretty dead set on slinging meat.

Had a HUGE fly fisherman pass me on the way. I desperately wanted to hop out of the truck and give him a sticker at a stop light, but also didn’t want to get shot so I passed on the opportunity.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0397.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	782.1 KB 
ID:	273340

Eventually made it to the top secret location, I’ll only divulge here because I know most of you are thousands of miles away. This sign alone is a dead give away. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0402.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	273342

Yes, I was headed to the mythical, often head scratching, top secret Davidson River. The place where huge (literally) fly fisherman with tweed jackets, wading staffs,$3000 bamboo fly poles, will stand elbow to elbow 30 feet from their cars tossing size 37 midges on 8x tippet to large, extremely finicky fish. But the weather was nasty, and I wasn’t fishing the “hatchery section” so hopefully I wouldn’t have to deal with the crowds. Just a note on the Davidson. “Hatchery section” is a bit of a confusing local language. The upper portion of the river is catch and release wild stream, but there is a fish hatchery next to the river. The effluence from the hatchery is what makes the river so fertile and grow larger than normal fish than you’d typically find in an Appalachian freestone stream. The lower sections are indeed stocked, so some stockers will make make it up...anyway.

I find a pull off, rig up my 7wt and head down to the water at this spot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	273343
    Before I even get in the water I thought I saw a fish rise out of the corner of my eye. Just a random rise I told myself. Get in the water and start flinging my streamer...fuck yes. I’m finally like Kelly Galloup...I’m fucking Huge. I’m getting hung up on trees behind me, roots on the ground, sticks in the water...
    See another rise. Wtf? Then I see a size 22 BWO flutter by me. Wtf? More rises. Then see these fuckers start to float by. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1333.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	273344
    After 10 minutes I was defeated. I stomp back up to the truck, and get out my backup 5 wt, and tie on a dry fly. Ended up having the best day on the Davidson than I’ve ever had. Took a photo of my first fish and didn’t bother again. As I’ve mentioned before I struggle with fish pics.

Name:	IMG_1331.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	756.8 KB 
ID:	273345

Another find, that’s way too common in North Carolina....I often wonder what the real story is behind things like this.

Name:	IMG_1335.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	273346

Name:	20190318_130424 (2).jpg 
Size:	799.2 KB 
ID:	274862

Name:	20190318_125951 (2).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	771.2 KB 
ID:	274863

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Managed to get away yesterday to fish...a rarity for me.

I’ve recently put together a streamer setup as I’ve added a 7wt to the lineup. It was raining in the mountains Friday night, so figured it would be a perfect opportunity to chuck and duck some big flys.

I was committed to learning my new rig and concentrating on fishing streamers. I was not even going to take my 5wt Scott or any other fly boxes, other than the big bugs. The area has been known to have car break ins, so I didn’t want to risk having my gear stolen. At the last minute, I did decide to throw my backup, sub $100, 5wt in the car.

Got on the road around 9:30 am in generally miserable conditions. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	533.9 KB 
ID:	273334
    I had connected with another angler on a local forum, and he sent me a text saying the river was dropping, no more real rain expected and that the river we were targeting probably wasn’t going to be ideal for streamer fishing under the current conditions. I messaged him back, that while that was a bummer, I was pretty dead set on slinging meat.

Had a HUGE fly fisherman pass me on the way. I desperately wanted to hop out of the truck and give him a sticker at a stop light, but also didn’t want to get shot so I passed on the opportunity.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0397.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	782.1 KB 
ID:	273340

Eventually made it to the top secret location, I’ll only divulge here because I know most of you are thousands of miles away. This sign alone is a dead give away. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0402.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	273342

Yes, I was headed to the mythical, often head scratching, top secret Davidson River. The place where huge (literally) fly fisherman with tweed jackets, wading staffs,$3000 bamboo fly poles, will stand elbow to elbow 30 feet from their cars tossing size 37 midges on 8x tippet to large, extremely finicky fish. But the weather was nasty, and I wasn’t fishing the “hatchery section” so hopefully I wouldn’t have to deal with the crowds. Just a note on the Davidson. “Hatchery section” is a bit of a confusing local language. The upper portion of the river is catch and release wild stream, but there is a fish hatchery next to the river. The effluence from the hatchery is what makes the river so fertile and grow larger than normal fish than you’d typically find in an Appalachian freestone stream. The lower sections are indeed stocked, so some stockers will make make it up...anyway.

I find a pull off, rig up my 7wt and head down to the water at this spot.

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG 
Size:	211.0 KB 
ID:	273343
    Before I even get in the water I thought I saw a fish rise out of the corner of my eye. Just a random rise I told myself. Get in the water and start flinging my streamer...fuck yes. I’m finally like Kelly Galloup...I’m fucking Huge. I’m getting hung up on trees behind me, roots on the ground, sticks in the water...
    See another rise. Wtf? Then I see a size 22 BWO flutter by me. Wtf? More rises. Then see these fuckers start to float by. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1333.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	273344
    After 10 minutes I was defeated. I stomp back up to the truck, and get out my backup 5 wt, and tie on a dry fly. Ended up having the best day on the Davidson than I’ve ever had. Took a photo of my first fish and didn’t bother again. As I’ve mentioned before I struggle with fish pics.

Name:	IMG_1331.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	756.8 KB 
ID:	273345

Another find, that’s way too common in North Carolina....I often wonder what the real story is behind things like this.

Brings back memories...

My parents retired to Cruso NC from Florida. Right off 276 on the other side of the blue ridge from Brevard. Fished the Davidson a couple times. Beautiful water. Never did too well down near town always better around or above looking glass. Nothing big but some pretty brookies that were willing. Beautiful country that I miss dearly.

Thanks and tight lines!

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post

Why, that's just the site of a good old-fashioned Appalachian woods raping!

Great TR. Sorry your streamer dreams went unfulfilled, but nice recovery with the back up rod.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Tigers. Got three. Came up a brown short of the cutt, cuttbow, bow, brook, brown, tiger super slam. How I got three tigers and no brown...eh. the fish gods were mocking me, I guess. If they keep growing at this rate, theyll be 18-20" in another year.

Name:	20190320_130949 (2).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	275177

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Tigers. Got three. Came up a brown short of the cutt, cuttbow, bow, brook, brown, tiger super slam. How I got three tigers and no brown...eh. the fish gods were mocking me, I guess. If they keep growing at this rate, theyll be 18-20" in another year.

Name:	20190320_130949 (2).jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	275177
    Finally started catching them last year, that's a dandy. Hope you killed it. That your truck out by RB?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Hope you killed it.
    Nope. I'm going to catch it again next year. How am I ever going to get a six trout super slam if I kill off all the tigers in my favorite holes? That is the hardest part of the slam. I don't try for the slam until I luck into a tiger.

I'm guessing with high water this year there will be more escapees. I've still yet to catch a brown there.

Name:	IMG_4781.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	275270

Slammed stockers yesterday
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

First fish of 19', thanks for the kick in the ass to get out there Neckdeep.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I'm guessing with high water this year there will be more escapees. I've still yet to catch a brown there.
    Are you getting a boat on it or is is still wade? The warmer weather and horrible groin tear drove me to the shop to get my license, the first of the geezer era.

The ramps and parking areas are not plowed. There is still 18-36" of snow down by the river and rotten shelf ice on north and east facing banks.

Walking in. Floated the S fork the other day, they plowed the dam ramp today.

BWO’s are popping in UT. Good day today. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6950.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	723.4 KB 
ID:	275543

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Good to finally feel the sun!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190323_154143.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	275663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190323_154131.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	275664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190322_181436.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	275665

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Went searching for wild trout on blue linesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4789.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	275963
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb