Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yup, on Sunday there were 30-40 cars at Bakers Hole, same at Beaver Meadows, and I don’t even want to guess how many at the 2 lots at Barns Hole. Big change from the past. And I bet almost everyone of those people had a $100+ pair of nippers around their neck...

So I drove 9 miles upstream and it was just me and some bison. Heaven on earth.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That’s crazy and sad.
    Smart move man. There is always a stretch that people overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read in the newspaper this morning that angler numbers on the Madison have doubled since 2012. DOUBLED in seven years. That is crazy... Fish and Game Commission is supposed to devote a couple hours to discussing it at their Nov. 12 meeting but nobody can agree what to do about it. Getting pretty contentious in places like Ennis.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Read in the newspaper this morning that angler numbers on the Madison have doubled since 2012. DOUBLED in seven years. That is crazy... Fish and Game Commission is supposed to devote a couple hours to discussing it at their Nov. 12 meeting but nobody can agree what to do about it. Getting pretty contentious in places like Ennis.
    Good gawd. Glad I fished my ass off when I lived there. Crazy to think I had that river to myself most of the time with those kind of numbers today. It’s been about 4 years since i fished it and it was pretty quiet, granted it was in Late July mid week evening. Man we smashed them those two evening below the dam. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Truth. It's like a goddamn soap opera in Ennis with all the drama between public/private interests/groups.

Too bad it’s so packed these days. I used to consider it a good area this time of year. Fished those areas a few times in oct with guys from around here.
    You’re always welcome to head a little farther South and fish some slightly less crowded waters, Harry. Should be good for a while.

2019 maggot fish gazing and shit talking

I signed up for a weekly fly tying class in the evenings at a local fly shop. Should be a fun way to pass the long winter nights. Looking forward to it. Despite fly fishing since I was 4 or 5, I am a total n00b when it comes to tying my own flies. I will need a vice, anyone have one they are not using ?

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i haz all the materials you could possibly need and a git er done vice with bobbins snips stackers etc
    and iou for stickers and its vets day
    will try and git em out this week
    crank out 50 in 4 days and took my fun tickets to go

left o dark thirty and made it almost all the way before the blinding orb of warmth showed ups

first hour was still in the high 20's with guide freezing and line knot tanglage frequent
    a few heads up porpousing emergers with a piscatorial purposes
    an old dude walking his dog was our only company on the river that morn
    almost rigged a dry rod but
    stubbernly threw the junks

down sized and got the loop knot line crackering eat on the swing
    caught a tko topping coco puffs pick me ups buzz though

lumpy and the denali den had just got there when we floated into slate and bmc showed up shortly after
    ran our shuttles and grabbed the j
    somewhere in the neighborhoods of 420 casts and i bets there was another fly peircing donation and a few river miles later i stucks a nice brown

#freedombirdsfuckyeahs

put the bmc up front and he threw well but didnt git attached to the troots

and i thinks the lumpster swung this one up

and j hooked a few
    we missed the bambi crossing i guess

pulled out early which is late now

went back to camp drank alcohol are chili dogs around the camp fire before retiring to the denali den of creature comforts
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i haz all the materials you could possibly need and a git er done vice with bobbins snips stackers etc
    and iou for stickers and its vets day
    will try and git em out this week
    Sounds like a cool deal. Thanks. I think you have my address, but I will send you a text with it.

First class is Wednesday night. Subject is tying an ICU midge. They said they had a loaner vice, but that I would have to share it with multiple students. Sounds like most of the class has their own. Thanks again Dibbs !

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Got a rebate today on the Madison. I was driving to West Yellowstone to check out the cross country trails, and noticed zero cars at Bakers Hole. I turned around and parked at the locked gate. I mentally reviewed the regulations, figuring if it was legal other people would be there. And it was deserted. No footprints in the snow. But the oxbow with the deep hole is on USFS land, but several hundred yards both upstream and downstream is the clearly marked border with Yellowstone Park, which is currently closed to fishing. So as long as stayed on this one hole I would be legal. I had not planned on fishing today, but I always carry my gear just in case opportunities like this arise. Never even made it to West Yellowstone...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1573532429.695151.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	301991

Name:	Image1573532461.861324.jpg 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	301992

Name:	Image1573532514.618670.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	301993

Name:	Image1573532556.455833.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	301994
    Tools of the trade. Holster for the bear swatter thanks to mag hookup Leavenworth Skier.

Name:	Image1573532675.003953.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	301995

That’s some good water, Harry. Nice to see you found some solitude on that stream.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    That’s some good water, Harry. Nice to see you found some solitude on that stream.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    No kidding I felt more than a twinge of envy looking at those. Man I cant wait for summer to get here and fish with the Wydaho crew again!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Name:	56F13F5B-E898-4076-9CAF-9A0ACA21CD0E.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	577.8 KB 
ID:	302121

Name:	17E800F8-5EFD-4BB9-80B5-6C15BF176D06.jpg 
Size:	745.0 KB 
ID:	302122

Name:	270AC5A0-301A-4993-B768-B60333A7BC1E.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	514.8 KB 
ID:	302123

Name:	0E625E7D-2880-408D-81B4-F33E8CFE4220.jpg 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	302124

Name:	76D38E5C-971A-45E6-A8AF-1677EE03A532.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	302125
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59E0017C-48A1-49D9-87BB-65BD22CF3C7C.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	513.8 KB 
ID:	302120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8F2292C-8D9E-44E1-B273-0F437021A1AF.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	934.0 KB 
ID:	302126  

First class is Wednesday night. Subject is tying an ICU midge. They said they had a loaner vice, but that I would have to share it with multiple students. Sounds like most of the class has their own.
    First class was last night. I tied 5 midges. Very cool shop, you can tell the guides are def no strangers to safety meetings. Most of the students had their own vices and supplies. I was the only total n00b in the class, but everyone was very cool about my JONG questions. Big range of students, from older dudes in their 60s-70s, also several long haired dirtbags in their 20s who obviously knew what they were doing, plus several patrollers that I know, all the way down to 2 elementary school kids. Plus a MILF who is married to a patroller.

Vice, tools, and supplies from SFB should arrive any day now. Next week I may still be asking dumb questions, but at least I won’t be having to bum tools and materials from everybody else.

Pic of my midges plus free advertising for my teachers, Gallatin River Guides:

Name:	Image1573748165.756225.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	302295

Last edited by Harry; 11-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.

gots the crew rousted early and even after the waders locked in the trailer stuffs we managed to be 1st boats on the water

they started puttin em in the nets right off the bats

aside from a few light hearted taps and too much scrunge on the fly removal i wasnt gittin em and my guide wasnt smiling

bit of #daydrinking

fixed that
    and this fixed our other problems

switched sticks and the bmc was throwing well
    next things i knows hes hooked the fucks up from strip set to line control seemlessly all huge ffm styley
    with a sweet brown with our bros saulminners epoxyhead tie in her mouth

and we could here the fuck yeahs and fuck noes from behind as j hit and missed a few more under the bung
    switched shits up and i manned the clacka and tried to row lumpys into a hog
    somebody had a bit of seperation angest with that plan

nuthins a liver wrapped beef trake or doggie blt couldnt fix though

and i gotta say this ones gots the best potentoenails of fishing god greatness outta the co pirates ive had yet
    sure he could use a bit more enthusiaism in the catchin part
    but hes like the sweetness he didnt needs no damn fancy pants touchdown dance to celebrate sumthins that if everybody does their job right isnt to hard
    on any given fishy sun day anyway

stopped at the smokes shacks

wind cranked a bit and we didnt git bit but mur freedom eagles ftw

pushed a bit to pull out before the rest of the boats and watched em bring it home from above

headed back to camp a warm fire and moonlit skies for the eve
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

First class was last night. I tied 5 midges. Very cool shop, you can tell the guides are def 420 friendly. Most of the students had their own vices and supplies. I was the only total n00b in the class, but everyone was very cool about my JONG questions. Big range of students, from older dudes in their 60s-70s, also several long haired dirtbags in their 20s who obviously knew what they were doing, plus several patrollers that I know, all the way down to 2 elementary school kids. Plus a MILF who is married to a patroller.

Vice, tools, and supplies from SFB should arrive any day now. Next week I may still be asking dumb questions, but at least I won’t be having to bum tools and materials from everybody else.

Pic of my midges plus free advertising for my teachers, Gallatin River Guides:

Name:	Image1573748165.756225.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	302295

well ya knows im a slacker
    going out today text me email to attach ups track number to
    if you possibly go through that much matreial ill send ya more

Holee Shit Dibs, that is a ton of stuff. I don’t even know the names of most of this, but I am learning. Last night I was like, “what is a bobbin ?” and “what is dubbing ?”. Now I know that, but I have lots, lots more to learn. This will be a fun winter project.

I can’t thank you enough.

Live blogging from the Madison:

After arranging shipping details this morning with sfb, I headed to Bakers Hole for the afternoon to try out my midges. There was one vehicle there, and it was somebody I know. After conducting a safety meeting with him, I rigged up and went to go catch a fish with the very first fly I have ever tied by myself. Total fail, all I accomplished was a wind knot from hell. What a beautiful place to spend an afternoon.

Wind knot

Name:	Image1573774552.113971.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	937.9 KB 
ID:	302345
    Bakers Hole

Name:	Image1573774623.177843.jpg 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	302346
    YNP Boundary

Name:	Image1573774674.053170.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	302347

I ended up just cutting it all off and calling it quits. My hands were numb (fingerless gloves) it was windy and about 20 degrees. I really did not want to tie on new leader and tippet, plus tie on a tiny midge in those conditions. So I walked upstream a couple miles into the Park along the riverbank enjoying the afternoon.

Last edited by Harry; 11-14-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Fuck yeah Dibbs!
    Wishen I had bailed on Lost Wages and feeshed with the crew.
    And Harry... no better way to spend an afternoon!
    Cheers!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Name:	20191114_190129 (2).jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	302441

Name:	20191114_190356 (2).jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	302442

Name:	5801E0AF-3E69-4D27-9454-53A9856D8D12.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	643.6 KB 
ID:	302628

That time of the year
    Harvest the ride.

next year im so attending the suks rustbelt bake to spend that time of year throwin to those kind of fish
    thanks for confirming my decision
    threw the hog and god in for sums stillwater full sink casting practice cause mid 60's mid nov aint makin the bum thinks much bout skiing

Cast and blast was a success! Sunset was bananas....

Name:  20191117_171517.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  86.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_170458.jpeg 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	302742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_170720.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	302743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_172411.jpeg 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	302744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_164237.jpeg 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	302745Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_172149.jpeg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	302746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191117_205736.jpeg 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	302747
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post

Name:	5801E0AF-3E69-4D27-9454-53A9856D8D12.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	643.6 KB 
ID:	302628

That time of the year
    great pic!

Name:	D59F70C1-AC81-49F4-9CAD-FCA51003CB7E.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	615.7 KB