Page 14 of 132 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I think the point of this conversation, and the impetus for the plan of action taken that day, is that your belief is false and the response time is likely longer than they and the injured individual were prepared for or capable of surviving.

I have no personal experience in this arena, but the fact that SAR gave them positive feedback that their choice to make direct contact vs triggering the PLB was the correct action implies that there is a delay of more than 1.5 hours when using a PLB. In other circumstances, further away from cell service, etc, no doubt the PLB would be the faster response time.

Very impressive logic, awareness and action by Cody and his partner that day. They are heroes and the injured fella is unbelievably lucky.
    I would say more than anything, the direct human-to-human contact gave me more control of the situation. With a PLB, I just had a gut feeling that I wouldn't be able to translate the urgency in an efficient manner to the correct people. I also mentally timed it out and as you implied, the time I lost getting to cell service would be made up by the rapid coordination of multiple parties to come out for the rescue. If we were further out, no doubt would I have hit the SOS button and tried to coordinate a rescue from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    One thought after re-watching, total spinal immobilization is on its way out. There's zero evidence of secondary injury's being a real concern, it was a theory back in the day which is why EVERYONE got a backboard. If he's standing and self splinting from any painful positions with no numbness, tingling, or deficits I'd work toward self evacuating in the case of a helo not getting there before dark. A C collar would be nice, but you could wrap a puffy around his neck to remind him to keep it as still as possible and get moving. Yes its a crazy mechanism and distracting injuries, but he stands a better chance out of the elements than in. Again, nice work.
    Yeah, I've heard this too. I took my first WFR class almost a decade ago so stuff like this wasn't taught...even in re-certs. Though I mentioned C-Spine in the video, I was also thinking about snapped femurs, dislocated hips and all that. More than anything I mainly knew that Bjarne and I would be very inefficient at moving him out of the field, even if it was a self-supported evacuation. Remember, we only could see him through the screen of a drone, so had no real good diagnosis of what was going on, only that hie was alive and severely injured. With time running out, if we chose to both go up there and it was worse than we thought from the drone photos, we could've ended up killing him.

Thanks for the post Fenris, this is super important info. A more detailed version of stuff I've learned over the years that helped influence that decision on that day.

Regarding the drone it would be interesting to see what kind of applications are being developed to use drones to receive and transmit vital statistics from someone hurt in the field. It seems like there is a huge potential for both search AND rescue operations.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Regarding the drone it would be interesting to see what kind of applications are being developed to use drones to receive and transmit vital statistics from someone hurt in the field. It seems like there is a huge potential for both search AND rescue operations.
    Pretty sure the military already has this... and I'm guessing those drones are not exactly cheap.

Alpine threadworks makes a couple pieces of very light weight rescue gear that might be worth looking at, designed and sewn by a guide I met & skied with this season
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The FIFTY

Garmin did an inreach webinar with someone from the inreach product team and someone from GEOS a couple months ago that’s informative. Basically what was posted above by fenris is the cliff’s notes of it.

It was helpful to understand exactly what happens with the device and with the responders in emergency mode. Basically you’re going to be texting with GEOS for a while and it’s going to take a few hours at best before someone can get to you. So either be prepared to spend the night on any activity or plan to finish with hours of daylight to spare.

The link isn’t working for some reason. But google “garmin inreach webinar” and you’ll find it.

Who's so they guy was solo? No spooked friends up top?

Again thanks for the series. I really like the format.

I had slept on this for a while but I got linked to the bonus episode from a ski buddy, and that led me to watching the rest of the episodes. I'm sure it's already been said plenty in this thread, but all of the episodes are incredibly well done. I've never been one to get into Youtube series but this one has me hooked. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes!
    "If I could have any K2 skis this year I'd go with the Volkl Gotamas." - Monique

Great discussion all around on the rescue. There is no manual for every possible situation, all you can do is make the best choices with the info/training/gear available. Seems like lots of correct choices were made in this instance.

Meanwhile, nice work yesterday on what will forever be one of my favorite lines on the planet. Seems like the neighboring peak should have great conditions for the next couple of days as well.

They are not always accurate. A couple years ago we came across a climber that fell while trad climbing in the back country. We called 911 and the GPS location 911 got from our phone was over 10 miles away from our actual location. Also most 911 operators are not trained for backcountry situations. It took search and rescue about 5 hours to get to our location and about 12 hours from the time of the accident before he was out of the backcountry and on his way to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Slight drift: Are cell phones physically incapable of sending a GPS based signal like a PLB? I assume that's why no subscription type apps exists for phones. You think companies like OnX, etc would be all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Yeah, I've heard this too. I took my first WFR class almost a decade ago so stuff like this wasn't taught...even in re-certs. Though I mentioned C-Spine in the video, I was also thinking about snapped femurs, dislocated hips and all that. More than anything I mainly knew that Bjarne and I would be very inefficient at moving him out of the field, even if it was a self-supported evacuation. Remember, we only could see him through the screen of a drone, so had no real good diagnosis of what was going on, only that hie was and severely injured. With time running out, if we chose to both go up there and it was worse than we thought from the drone photos, we could've ended up killing him.
    Good calls on Joffre.
    More than that, you instigated a lot of talk and thought about back country rescue stuff.
    And enjoyed a great line.
    Thank you...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Meanwhile, nice work yesterday on what will forever be one of my favorite lines on the planet. Seems like the neighboring peak should have great conditions for the next couple of days as well.
    i can imagine why it's a favorite line and i'm not even sure which one you're talking about (going first) but damn what a beautiful part of the world that is. do you have to go all the way around to aspen to get those or can you sled access them from CB?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Matsu with a side of Landry and N Maroon?

Prime time to have you boys out here. The Elks are alive right now!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Great discussion all around on the rescue. There is no manual for every possible situation, all you can do is make the best choices with the info/training/gear available. Seems like lots of correct choices were made in this instance.

Thanks man and yeah, that definitely is a classic line. It's pretty prime time right now out here. Excited to get back out there the next couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    do you have to go all the way around to aspen to get those or can you sled access them from CB?
    Nope, all the way around, so 4 hours or so to go 25 miles as the crow flies- and we usually have sleds in tow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Thanks man and yeah, that definitely is a classic line. It's pretty prime time right now out here. Excited to get back out there the next couple days.
    Silver might be a bump run by the time you get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Who's so they guy was solo? No spooked friends up top?

Again thanks for the series. I really like the format.
    hmm.

Seems like they aren't really giving out any details about that solo guy and his circumstances or identity, other than to say he is okay, which is probably the best way to handle it. I can find nothing online as far as news reports go. So unless the guy decides to go public and share his story, it will likely remain a mystery to us. Sure would like to ask him a few questions though...

The guy made one of the biggest mistakes of his life... I’m sure he’s champing at the bit to put himself out there and get a bunch of shit from people he doesn’t know.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The guy made one of the biggest mistakes of his life... I’m sure he’s champing at the bit to put himself out there and get a bunch of shit from people he doesn’t know.
    And, he got as lucky as he ever will. Probably sticking your head under the covers and being humble and not running to the nightly news or Internet is a smart choice.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^ well said TahoeJ and MTM

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Exactly

I haven't followed this thread too closely but heard something about the Mt. Joffre incident and just watched the bonus episode. Wow, great thinking and reaction to a very deadly situation for that guy. Incredible chain of fortunate coincidence and great thinking by Cody and partner that saved that guy's life. Major props to them and all the rescuers for this. Great lesson for the rest of us with regard to training and protocol in the back country and huge thanks to Cody for the bonus episode and their step by step explanation of their actions.

Stay safe, Cody!