Page 76 of 132 FirstFirst ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    We tried everything. Up high, down low, staying in the stream, right next to the stream...trust me, when the going is that tough, you'll try anything to make it easier.

Oh and yeah, waders and felt soles would be a terrible idea, not only with the weight on your back a little slip would mean serious knee knocking into boulders or twisted or broken joints. Add in deep pools in places, post holing when you couldn't be in the creek, it wouldn't work. Just like a lot of suggestions I'm getting to use snowshoes. Those would be a terrible idea as well. The only thing you can do on shit whacks like that is suck it up and try your hardest.
    Don't worry, we'll keep criticizing you from behind our keyboards on how you totally could have done it way better.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

We tried everything. Up high, down low, staying in the stream, right next to the stream...trust me, when the going is that tough, you'll try anything to make it easier.

Oh and yeah, waders and felt soles would be a terrible idea, not only with the weight on your back a little slip would mean serious knee knocking into boulders or twisted or broken joints. Add in deep pools in places, post holing when you couldn't be in the creek, it wouldn't work. Just like a lot of suggestions I'm getting to use snowshoes. Those would be a terrible idea as well. The only thing you can do on shit whacks like that is suck it up and try your hardest.
    Why didn't you take the longer but easier route up Stimson Creek to the Stimson / Pinchot col?
    That's the way I bring my grandmother when we go.
    As a bonus one stays in the Lower and Upper Nyack Snowshoe Cabins an easy day's walk each.
    And one can register for the trip there because they're on some national register.
    Six day trip.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

A good old shit whack will prep you well for being a parent.

Congrats BTW. Being a dad is the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Don't worry, we'll keep criticizing you from behind our keyboards on how you totally could have done it way better.
    I don't read a lot of this stuff as criticism, but an opportunity to learn from someone who was in a really crappy bushwhack as to why they did or didn't do particular things. I think it's awesome Cody is here answering people's questions or guesses about this stuff.

The only thing you can do on shit whacks like that is suck it up and try your hardest.
    Or just not go, that's my solution.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think it’s the lack of rhythm, the heavier gear, the remoteness, the navigation and having to use your brain the entire time to make critical decisions is what make the big ski missions tougher.

We tried everything.

The only thing you can do on shit whacks like that is suck it up and try your hardest.

Whoa, I hope the season gets better Cody.

After watching it I can say this is the one that left me never wanting to attempt anything like it.
    Next time I'm getting 'Duffeyed' for an couple hrs I'll just think of this episode and stop bitching.

Makes me think, is there a 'worst sufferfest' thread
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

The bushwack not only mentally drains you but it also adds a new dimension of tired as you fight battle after battle to progress forward. Its like double time on the strain of energy on your body!

Nice work Cody! Loved the determination and loved the story telling. Keep'm coming.
    Last edited by teamdirt; 10-10-2021 at 07:56 PM.

good stuff
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The forest bathing comment made me laugh.

Thanks for documenting, editing, etc. the entire adventure.

hello

Just a test to check my profile link....thanks

I’ve been rewatching the series and they’re getting me more excited about ski season than any of the other movies.

EP 29, Castle Peak, ID in the White Clouds in the Sawtooths just premiered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GEuUar3yDs

Well that was fun AF.

One of my favorite things about the Fifty is the way they model great in-tour communication and decision making. And they include it in their footage. It's really a great thing to watch especially for folks who are newer to the backcountry and bigger objective decision making.

It's pretty cool watching what will be an iconic set of videos for many years as they get released.

"That was when I did dumb stuff" says the guy who just did that epic slog up Stimson

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    "That was when I did dumb stuff" says the guy who just did that epic slog up Stimson
    This was me, back when I used to do dumb stuff. I still do dumb stuff, I just used to as well.

This was me, back when I used to do dumb stuff. I still do dumb stuff, I just used to as well.
    Nice

Nice Mitch Hedberg reference there, Cody.

Can't believe you idiots didn't snow shoe to the top. Stupid!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Awesome.

I just re-watched the Mt. Stimson episode with my very non Mag wife and she was gripped post decent worried about the crew bushwacking out. When they announced another night of camping before the exit, she said out loud "Thank God they are camping one more night". She also loved "so that wasn't a shortcut" on the way out.

My initial stoke to have a new episode maybe demurred the sufferfest. I suspect there was a lot more off screen creative langue to describe that type 2 fun.
    Thanks Cody/Bjarne I am stoked for this upcoming season.

Fun one.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Well that was fun AF.

One of my favorite things about the Fifty is the way they model great in-tour communication and decision making. And they include it in their footage. It's really a great thing to watch especially for folks who are newer to the backcountry and bigger objective decision making.

It's pretty cool watching what will be an iconic set of videos for many years as they get released.
    agreed. And when something is fucked, like the approach to Stimson, they don't sugarcoat it and make it look rad. They do a great job of making their tours look like normal people (albeit highly fit and skilled normal people) on a tour.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

That was awesome. I like the longer videos, and echo the sentiment that it's nice having the footage of decision making and planning.

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Well that was fun AF.

Completely agree. That’s one of the reasons why I get more stoke from this series vs recent ski films. Love the longer videos too.

That narrow couloir on Castle’s west face looked pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

Can't believe you idiots didn't snow shoe to the top. Stupid!
    Totally. Coulda done it in half a day with snowshoes.

Castle was one of my favorite episodes yet. What a class act in ski touring.

Watching Cody and Bjarne have an excellent day in the mountains really brought up a whole bunch of emotions. I lost my best friend and top ski partner in an accident during the spring. Seeing them shoot the shit, but be so effective, while having such a good time reminded me of some of my best days out with my buddy. I've been wondering if I'll ever get that feeling again but this episode gave me hope that I will. Ski touring like this is really the best thing in the world. There are few other sports where you can share a beautiful day in the mountains with your best friends like that.

Cheers Cody and Bjarne, thanks for continuing to bring this wonderful stoke into the world.