Page 17 of 132 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I can’t think of any ski film that I’ve enjoyed this much. As others have said one of my favorite things is how you guys show the struggles and it isn’t just endless pow turns and face shots. Hope this project pays off for you guys literally and figuratively.
    I'll second that. Great series. I love the honesty. I'm hooked!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I dug up some interesting dialogue on ski descent style. Original biglines.com article can be found using archive.org https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ers-and-Beyond

The FIFTY

Edit: InReach/SAR dribble/question removed, topic already covered.

Two points ill leave:
    InReach and Spot need to connect with a stationary satellite. For me in the Tetons it is about 25* above horizontal about due south. On the Northside of Joffre it probably wouldn’t have worked anyways.
    Satellite communications work when connected to the satellite, duh, so if you are waiting for a response it will not come in until the device connects to a satellite. Which to save batteries is on an interval of 10 minutes, which you can adjust. Or you keep asking it to check for a message.
    A lot of the reservations people about satellite communications often stem from not understanding abilities and limitations.

Cody, really enjoying the videos, stay safe out there. And sweet gear room!

- I am here for the stoke
    Last edited by Bruce Springskiin; 04-11-2019 at 10:52 AM.

i think he mentioned upstream about not wanting to cause confusion having SAR get the idea there could be two different rescues needed.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

SAR and Mountain Rescue just want to get the job done safely and quickly, in that order.

What they don't want is a bunch of malarky and decisions made overly complicated. It's too easy for egos to get caught up in debating the "best" way to do something, even small and insignificant elements of a mission get delayed while people hash it out and second guess each other. Cody and his partner came up with a safe strategy and quickly executed it. The outcome was great and minimized the amount of resources and additional people sent into the field. Awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    Two points ill leave:
    InReach and Spot need to connect with a stationary satellite. For me in the Tetons it is about 25* above horizontal about due south. On the Northside of Joffre it probably wouldn’t have worked anyways.
    Satellite communications work when connected to the satellite, duh, so if you are waiting for a response it will not come in until the device connects to a satellite. Which to save batteries is on an interval of 10 minutes, which you can adjust. Or you keep asking it to check for a message.
    Spot connects to a geostationary satellite that is over the equator. InReach connects to the Iridium network that is orbiting between the poles in 6 trains of 11 satellites.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iridium_Coverage_Animation.gif 
Views:	175 
Size:	688.5 KB 
ID:	278131

Iridium service can go in and out if you don't have line of sight, but it is much more effective at getting in and out of funky places than what Spot uses. InReach is even better than calls on a Iridium phone as it just needs a quick connection.

So if you are at the poles you have full signal

The FIFTY

Supposed to be but no. Iridium suuucks in northern AK.

It has to do with the inclination of the satellites. Iridiums satellites are 90* which for some reason I’m not smart enough to understand makes them suck.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Tuk just got cheked off
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Find myself anticipating tomorrow’s episode. Awesome work on this series.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedic84 View Post
    Find myself anticipating tomorrow’s episode. Awesome work on this series.

yea i just clued into this now (cuz I'm a dirty boarder, but i likes the skiing too) and I'm a fan. Was nice to binge watch all of the episodes up to now. Def following.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Tuk just got cheked off
    Always nice to throw a mellow one in there.

Question about Tuk. Which line is THE 50 classic? I skied it for the first time a couple weeks ago with a buddy from Moab. He pointed out that the face everyone skis and calls "the north face" (lookers left of the approach ridge) is actually more ENE facing and that the true north face is lookers right of the ridge. The book lists the aspect of north, but the picture kind of shows both faces.

Anyone with more knowledge than me care to share insight? Definitely a minute detail/nitpicky question but being up there at the same time I'm following this series got me wondering.
    It sucks to suck.

I thought it was Tuklear Reaction, which is more WSW. But I am going strictly off what I assumed was the most classic line as I haven’t seen the book.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    Question about Tuk. Which line is THE 50 classic? I skied it for the first time a couple weeks ago with a buddy from Moab. He pointed out that the face everyone skis and calls "the north face" (lookers left of the approach ridge) is actually more ENE facing and that the true north face is lookers right of the ridge. The book lists the aspect of north, but the picture kind of shows both faces.

Anyone with more knowledge than me care to share insight? Definitely a minute detail/nitpicky question but being up there at the same time I'm following this series got me wondering.
    There isn't really a "line" off of Tuk according to Art and crew. It's more just go ski Tuk, cause it's a cool mountain in a really rad place.

The views from the summit looking over the desert are so unique. Can't really think of anything else like it.

yeah, being in the alpine with the red sandstone desert below is what makes Tuk a classic for sure.

One of my favorite chapters in Desert Solitaire is the one where Abbey climbs Tuk and glissades down.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    yeah, being in the alpine with the red sandstone desert below is what makes Tuk a classic for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    One of my favorite chapters in Desert Solitaire is the one where Abbey climbs Tuk and glissades down.
    I forgot about that. When I was looking Tuk up, one line I saw pictures of showed the folks rappelling over a cliff band. looking forward to seeing if it's filled in.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 3.32.58 PM.png
Views: 1332
Size:  373.9 KB
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Newest episode.

Saving it for lunch while I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Newest episode.

Saving it for lunch while I eat.
    Avoid the egg salad.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I forgot about that. When I was looking Tuk up, one line I saw pictures of showed the folks rappelling over a cliff band. looking forward to seeing if it's filled in.
    It's filled in. Skied it a couple weeks ago.

Name:	DBC47D42-1745-4600-ABAE-43A4A33CDF58.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	278840

Name:	tuk.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	989.8 KB 
ID:	278841

And yeah, that makes sense about Tuk being just the experience. Definitely one of the cooler places I've skied.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    It's filled in. Skied it a couple weeks ago.

Name:	DBC47D42-1745-4600-ABAE-43A4A33CDF58.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	278840

Name:	tuk.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	989.8 KB 
ID:	278841

And yeah, that makes sense about Tuk being just the experience. Definitely one of the cooler places I've skied.
    That looks so fun.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda