Page 32 of 132 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Speaking of sponsors, does swatch give you any retro looking pop swatches? It’d be a good/fun occasional accent to the clothing steeze.

i rarely watch ski movies
    but i looked forward to your weds vid drops all season and will continue to do so next season. rock on++++

I love these episodes. They are really great.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Back from a couple weeks internet hiatus and checking in after posting the vid and ditching the digital age for the past couple weeks. So to address the permit situation, it is a really tricky game that is open to a lot of personal interpretation on the behalf of individuals within the parks and national forest service systems. There are a few things I've presented and my primary argument for it being "non-commercial." First and foremost, I make zero money as a producer of the project and make sure there are no ads in front of the videos on YT. As a part of that, I absolutely make sure to not advertise, promote or talk about the products I use from the sponsors that support me to influence any sort of commercial outcome within the episodes (that's only in the bonus episodes which take place in my garage). Second, the filming cannot take place in another location (for obvious reasons), which is a requirement of being granted permits. Third, we are a tiny crew, have no impact on the parks, land, or other guests within the parks and land. Fourth, we are promoting the land and parks in a way that is in accordance with the values of the parks and national forest service land. These are pretty much the four things I've presented to Grand Teton NP, Banff NP, Inyo NF, Mount Rainier NP, etc...and they've all granted me to ability to film on public land. Some have required permits and registrations, some have not. That's where the personal discretion comes in. Sure, there are a lot of counter arguments that you could make but so far, the gov't officials have all given me approval on these grounds, have received links to the episodes and have all been quite easy to work with. So while internet warriors in comment feeds make think it's not appropriate, they do and that's all that matters. All in all, I wouldn't be able to make these and share them if they didn't give me that approval.

I don't think this has been anywhere but as a flash video on my site but youtube readily accepts .flv's now so here it is. Cody's first run was at 4:50 and his second finished the skiing segment. Elyse took second in the womens and Ralph Backstrom took first for the snowboarders. Might take some of the sting off the summer doldrums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Back from a couple weeks internet hiatus and checking in after posting the vid and ditching the digital age for the past couple weeks. So to address the permit situation, it is a really tricky game that is open to a lot of personal interpretation on the behalf of individuals within the parks and national forest service systems. There are a few things I've presented and my primary argument for it being "non-commercial." First and foremost, I make zero money as a producer of the project and make sure there are no ads in front of the videos on YT. As a part of that, I absolutely make sure to not advertise, promote or talk about the products I use from the sponsors that support me to influence any sort of commercial outcome within the episodes (that's only in the bonus episodes which take place in my garage). Second, the filming cannot take place in another location (for obvious reasons), which is a requirement of being granted permits. Third, we are a tiny crew, have no impact on the parks, land, or other guests within the parks and land. Fourth, we are promoting the land and parks in a way that is in accordance with the values of the parks and national forest service land. These are pretty much the four things I've presented to Grand Teton NP, Banff NP, Inyo NF, Mount Rainier NP, etc...and they've all granted me to ability to film on public land. Some have required permits and registrations, some have not. That's where the personal discretion comes in. Sure, there are a lot of counter arguments that you could make but so far, the gov't officials have all given me approval on these grounds, have received links to the episodes and have all been quite easy to work with. So while internet warriors in comment feeds make think it's not appropriate, they do and that's all that matters. All in all, I wouldn't be able to make these and share them if they didn't give me that approval.
    internet warriors - having a blast ruining peoples fun since AOL chat rooms
    I ski the east.

I apologize if you believe that I'm the "internet warrior" you referenced, and interpreted my comment as saying you shouldn't get the permits. That wasn't my intention; I just asked a question since the topic was raised, and I appreciate the explanation.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I apologize if you believe that I'm the "internet warrior" you referenced, and interpreted my comment as saying you shouldn't get the permits. That wasn't my intention; I just asked a question since the topic was raised, and I appreciate the explanation.
    Oh damn no was a referring to anyone on the boards, much less yourself, with the internet warrior comment. Mainly referring to YT comment feeds. This being my first foray into the world of YT has shown me what a cesspool the comment section on YT can be. I've been very quick and liberal with my use of the delete and block buttons this season.

Lot vids have the comments turned off due to the negative BS. It's a shame as there are some with positive things to say or legitimate questions.
    watch out for snakes

This thread sucks ass in the off season. Let it die. Bring it back next year. In the meantime have a bowl of crybaby soup ya giant pussy.
    Go on Now
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    This thread sucks ass in the off season. Let it die. Bring it back next year. In the meantime have a bowl of crybaby soup ya giant pussy.
    Go on Now
    Sucks when you involve yourself so righteously in a thread.
    You are one rude mofo.
    There is no "off" season on some of these lines.
    Go on Now, whiner...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Go on Now
    It isn't the off-season. Pics below posted today in the Colorado conditions thread.

Laps, beater. Lots of laps.

Attachment 286643Attachment 286644
    Attachment 286645
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    You are one rude mofo.
    Go on Now, whiner...
    So kore!
    There is no “off” season on some of these lines. Wow, that’s gold.
    Thread delivers, keep bringing the laughs.
    Laps
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    You are one rude mofo.
    Go on Now, whiner...
    Agreed. We love the thread Cody too bad you cant block delete this clown buttache

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

It’s just skiing for fucks sake. So many navel gazers.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Still plenty of skiing here in the Sierra... feels like MTB season but so many trails are still buried.

Mainly referring to YT comment feeds. This being my first foray into the world of YT has shown me what a cesspool the comment section on YT can be. I've been very quick and liberal with my use of the delete and block buttons this season.
    I have 40+ DIY vids on YouTube (1.5 million views/year) and I stopped bothering checking or responding to the comments years ago. Just let the trolls troll and fuck 'em. Instead put a link to your Facebook page in the video description and tell people that's how you can be contacted with comments/questions. This prevents YouTube dbags from hiding behind a screen name and you will pretty much get only legit feedback.

BTW I make a good chunk of change each month off those vids...kinda too bad you can't monetize them due to permit/commercialization issues. Maybe you can figure out a workaround in the future (like when the proj is over and the authorities have forgotten about it). Your vids are going to generate a lot of views for years to come. Seems crazy you can't have YT put ads on there and share the revenue with you just because of bullshit regs.

^^ YouTube comments are literally the worst. That's a great suggestion about the facebook (or instagram) page link.

Youtube comments are right up there with online versions of local newspapers and the cesspool of discourse that shows up there.

Don't ever read the comments. Important rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Don't ever read the comments. Important rule of thumb.
    I made this a new year's resolution... and I've tried so hard with a few slip-ups. My god, it's just a shit-show of despair for the human species.

daym I just found out about this series, and binge watched like 20 episodes in a row until 4am last night. ended up down the rabbit hole with bonus videos and some weird old backcountry clips that youtube recommended.
    I haven't watched a ski movie in 5+ years, cause they're boring as shit, but these have me 1000% stoked for next winter. don't have as big mountains in Japanland, but keen to get out touring more than 1 day a week now.

be interesting to find out how much footage goes to chop shop to produce each episode and the general production feedback/process, perhaps he mentioned it on other media? they seem to do a really good job. hours become only a few seconds in any amateur clips ive tried to make.
    Last edited by anything; 06-26-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I have 40+ DIY vids on YouTube (1.5 million views/year) and I stopped bothering checking or responding to the comments years ago. Just let the trolls troll and fuck 'em. Instead put a link to your Facebook page in the video description and tell people that's how you can be contacted with comments/questions. This prevents YouTube dbags from hiding behind a screen name and you will pretty much get only legit feedback.

BTW I make a good chunk of change each month off those vids...kinda too bad you can't monetize them due to permit/commercialization issues. Maybe you can figure out a workaround in the future (like when the proj is over and the authorities have forgotten about it). Your vids are going to generate a lot of views for years to come. Seems crazy you can't have YT put ads on there and share the revenue with you just because of bullshit regs.
    That is a good suggestion. Though I do actually dig responding to people with legitimate questions and legit criticism. So it's a balance for sure. But over a decade on this forum and I've learned pretty easily how to deal with the trolls...plus I find it fun to hit the block button.

That is a good suggestion. Though I do actually dig responding to people with legitimate questions and legit criticism. So it's a balance for sure. But over a decade on this forum and I've learned pretty easily how to deal with the trolls...plus I find it fun to hit the block button.
    I always considered blocking someone "losing". Its more fun to egg them on to me. When I get blocked I 100% consider it a win...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I always considered blocking someone "losing". Its more fun to egg them on to me. When I get blocked I 100% consider it a win...
    That's fucked up man. To most of the people who post content, it isn't some game. They are making something and sharing it. So to show up and be such an asshole that they don't ever want to talk to you again takes a real toll on the person on the other side. Multiply that by ten or a hundred or a thousand for every other keyboard dickhead out there.