Page 39 of 132 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Works for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBokg-bzY_s&t=0s

Maybe you got blocked on youtube for making sexually suggestive comments. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Works for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBokg-bzY_s&t=0s

Maybe you got blocked on youtube for making sexually suggestive comments. :-)
    I most certainly have never, and would never, make any comment of any sort, on youtube (suggestive or otherwise). YouTube comments are generally a toxic stew.

Strangeness - guess I'll try a different device

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    I most certainly have never, and would never, make any comment of any sort, on youtube (suggestive or otherwise). YouTube comments are generally a toxic stew.

Strangeness - guess I'll try a different device
    And you should subscribe as well, which helps Cody's numbers.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I wonder if, after the 50 is done, there will be ones that Cody thinks should have been on the 50, or a 'the other 50' or 'the next 50' list.
    Maybe a "50 less iconic but more relaxing" list. Or "50 more funner' list. Or maybe call it, "Cody's 50".
    It would be fascinating to read a book about his favorite ones, not necessarily the most difficult or rad, but the ones that are in fact, the most fun.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Whew, it's back. Cleared my browser cache and rebooted. Now I can launch the vids from this thread, and now when I search on youtube for "the fifty", there are all the epsodes. Very strange, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    And you should subscribe as well, which helps Cody's numbers.

... Thom
    Did

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    You can call me anything but Shirley. Was really stoked to get the chance to tell Len's and Connor's story. Their perspective as Native Americans obviously shares some of values we have as outdoor recreationalists but the depth, history and importance in which their values align with wild places and mountains is powerful on a whole different level. Having people like Len and Connor at the forefront of conservation is so important. They're both destined to change the world.
    Would love it if you would continue the focus on the spiritual side of these routes, and the special places you visit. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    I wonder if, after the 50 is done, there will be ones that Cody thinks should have been on the 50, or a 'the other 50' or 'the next 50' list.
    Maybe a "50 less iconic but more relaxing" list. Or "50 more funner' list. Or maybe call it, "Cody's 50".
    It would be fascinating to read a book about his favorite ones, not necessarily the most difficult or rad, but the ones that are in fact, the most fun.
    I'm starting to call this project "The Most Thorough Book Review of All Time". I'll submit a three graph review to the New York Times when I'm done. But seriously, if I actually complete this thing, which is gonna take a lot of luck, probably many more years than I expect and some serious dedication, I have no idea what I'll do after. So far, all I've personally committed to is a lot of naps. Many many naps.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Whew, it's back. Cleared my browser cache and rebooted. Now I can launch the vids from this thread, and now when I search on youtube for "the fifty", there are all the epsodes. Very strange, but whatever.

Did

Glad that worked out for you. Super weird. I think I've only blocked two people, one person that kept repeating I was not respecting these areas and was gonna die because of that over and over and over and another person that was saying I was a heathen, was bastardizing our youth and was gonna be sitting next to Satan in hell because I swear occasionally. So it takes a lot to get blocked.

Edit: Just because the Satan dude is probably correct, doesn't mean he wasn't annoying.

He annoyed you before but does not any more?
    watch out for snakes

Cody

Is it still fun?

I had actually started thinking of this and was moving to a “Global 50” and realized how bonkers that would be...

good new episode today
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

i thought an appendix / continuation might be called something like 'the +1 project', because there's always one more mountain to ski. then you don't have to do 50 or not limited to 50 if you do more.
    a bit early to be signing Cody up to even more already tho

I'd sign up if you skied with the Satan dude.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    good new episode today

Yep solid work
    27° 18°

I'm starting to call this project "The Most Thorough Book Review of All Time". I'll submit a three graph review to the New York Times when I'm done. But seriously, if I actually complete this thing, which is gonna take a lot of luck, probably many more years than I expect and some serious dedication, I have no idea what I'll do after. So far, all I've personally committed to is a lot of naps. Many many naps.
    Napping is highly underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by anything View Post
    i thought an appendix / continuation might be called something like 'the +1 project', because there's always one more mountain to ski. then you don't have to do 50 or not limited to 50 if you do more.
    a bit early to be signing Cody up to even more already tho

Ya sorry for getting too far ahead! Not pushing for more just yet. The series is dope and I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Does Alkasquawlik have a Patreon page? I support a few people on Patreon and this is the type of project I could get behind for a few $$ a month.

I'm just chewing the fat out loud - have you ever thought of a user supported venture aka Patreon or is this paid for exclusively through YouTube views and sponsors?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

user supported venture aka Patreon or is this paid for exclusively through YouTube views and sponsors?
    Alkasquawlik can correct, but I seem to remember something about it specifically being a not for profit venture otherwise the national parks gets their panties in a bunch over access, cameras, and drone use? or maybe im just confusing multiple stories into one jumbled mess.

Amazing A+ drone footage off wilson! ...the skiing wasn't too bad either Also nice job working in the coors plug for potential beer sponsorship

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    Amazing A+ drone footage off wilson! ...the skiing wasn't too bad either Also nice job working in the coors plug for potential beer sponsorship
    Already got a beer sponsor for the show, but coors light could be his water sponsor.

Alkasquawlik can correct, but I seem to remember something about it specifically being a not for profit venture otherwise the national parks gets their panties in a bunch over access, cameras, and drone use? or maybe im just confusing multiple stories into one jumbled mess.
    Not-for-profit doesn't mean you can't make money off it. Just means you need to say what that money goes to, pay yourself a reasonable salary, and not pay out shareholders or take home excess profits.

Yeah, it's such a grey area and I've gotten multiple answers from multiple parks service employees. For the most part, what they don't want is a movie that creates direct profits or gains, i.e. showing at a film festival and being paid for that. That's the questions I've gotten most. "Will this be showing at film festivals?" The other thing is that the video is not posted on a company channel as a sort of brand video. So since it's on my personal page--which I show has no pre-roll ads-- and the episodes from wildernesses and national parks are not being submitted to film festivals, so far I've been approved. What's weird is for some parks, I've had to pay for permits. Others not.

When it comes to the user support, I'm guessing that would fly though. Because I've gotten the question about the corporate logos and I say they're simply supporting the travel and documentation of me trying to do this goal. So far they've all considered that okay and within the bounds of it not being "commercial". So I'm guessing a Patreon support or Kickstarter support would not only be fine, it'd probably look even better to the powers that be.

Oh and lastly, it's not "for profit" they look at it's "commercial" status. So if this business centric, it wouldn't fly. But since this is documenting my attempt to do this, they haven't seen it as a "commercial" project.

Lastly, if it got down to it, I can show them how my personal production company is currently losing money on the whole thing...which then they'd hopefully really believe this ain't "commercial".

Who cares if it's fun, it's still a project.

Is any project really fun? Seriously? Pick any one in your life, no matter genre.

It's not fun, it's a project. It is a self-imposed haunting. And, no matter again, what it is, it is just a vehicle to teach you your own limitations until you complete it, or die. Maybe not even trying. But it bugs you, nonetheless. None the less.

Who cares, we all have them, and I respect the small one's like getting out of bed, or walking, or visiting every country, or whatever. It's a human personal project.

The goal isn't the reason, or answer.

I have many projects.

Lastly, if it got down to it, I can show them how my personal production company is currently losing money on the whole thing...which then they'd hopefully really believe this ain't "commercial".
    So you're shredding the bottom line, too?

I'm sure there's a fair amount of opportunity cost, too. You're committing a great deal of time and effort to this, so you're unable to pursue other more lucrative endeavors. But the personal gains and experiences look to be well worth it and being involved with so many others makes this so cool. The planning and consulting with the locals at each mountain, etc. on this looks like half the fun.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    So you're shredding the bottom line, too?

I'm sure there's a fair amount of opportunity cost, too. You're committing a great deal of time and effort to this, so you're unable to pursue other more lucrative endeavors. But the personal gains and experiences look to be well worth it and being involved with so many others makes this so cool. The planning and consulting with the locals at each mountain, etc. on this looks like half the fun.
    I've turned down multiple paid speaking opportunities this fall and multiple business-centric opportunities this winter and this upcoming one to focus on this project. So yeah, lots of opportunity costs missed. But that's fine by me and I've done pretty well for myself considering skiing is my primary source of income. So this will pay off one day in one way for sure. What that is, who knows but I'm not worried about it.