Page 62 of 132 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    It gets normalized living in WA, but their reaction of horror to rural SnoCo was a reminder how fucking shitty the place actually is.
    My friend, (NPS/USFS dude), worked the logistics for the Oso slide. Lots of stories, but the anti-government stickered truck driver waiting to get info on the government handout was a common theme.
    Pretty cool views from the top of Forbidden, though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Always wondered what alka would look like as a 60 year old crusty ski patroller.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’ve seen bjarne summiting Hood a couple time this month, and I was wondering why Cody wasn’t there with him. Now we know why.
    Cody's been busy running and skiing a bit around home. From listening to his Off the Couch podcast with Blister, he's changed his fitness approach this year, going to Uphill Athlete training with a coach. It will be cool to see how his season goes and how he reflects on that. I can only assume he'll be in pretty mega shape. Podcast with more here: https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/b...townsend-ep-70

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Always wondered what alka would look like as a 60 year old crusty ski patroller.
    Insane. Cody looked like a old old man at the van after Forbidden.

What an enjoyable movie. Thanks Cody, Michelle and Bjarne!

I don't post much these days... but,

well done!

Enjoyable. Enlightening. Inspiring.

I definitely noticed throughout that Cody progressed to look like a "60 year old crusty ski patroller" while Michelle seemed to be a little more steady throughout. Cody, any comments on your regression to the mean of society and Michelle's ability to exude awesomeness? Gear differences? Fitness? Weight - she being lighter - less "work" on the ups?

Also, we need a Bjarne selfie from start/middle/end.
    Last edited by gointhedistance; 12-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

Lot of folk in them woods thought they had some antifa with them bicycles scoping a new camp. likely just dropped off by a bus

I never did wonder, but all the same I now know too.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I am so glad there are people out there to accept the suffering that I have tasted, so I don't need to anymore. I would say good job, but it's not a good job. It's two people crawling, self flagellating, on their way to the temple of nowhere.

But, that's one way to pass the time I suppose. And for that, well, to each their own. And I don't think a divorce is possible after this hurdle.

thhhhummmbbb. Over the line, mark it.

Great film capturing a major sufferfest. Kudos to CT for having the vision to attempt such a journey. And Michelle for coming along cheerfully. The acknowledgments at the end are interesting. Wish we could have seen some of the awesome meals Bjarne cooked up. Driving 60 miles a day must have left plenty of time for cooking lol.

Agreed, was a solid film and wild idea to ride a 1000 miles to ski 3 lines. He has been pumping out some good content.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I’ve seen bjarne summiting Hood a couple time this month, and I was wondering why Cody wasn’t there with him. Now we know why.
    Not sure what your 'why' is, but Bjarne lives in Hood River and uses Mt. Hood as a training lap.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

It was a cool idea and made for a fun film but I wonder how much they actually carried their trailers with extra gear. It seemed pretty arbitrary which "self-supported" rules they wanted to break and which they wanted to follow.

Also it didn't look like they were carrying their boots on their bikes. Maybe they were in the trailers?

I’ve been loving all the Fifty content, but this one didn’t work for me. I’m all for suffering in the cause of exploration and self awareness, but grinding out miles, loaded up with ski gear, on the interstate, isn’t original and just seems like self abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Not sure what your 'why' is, but Bjarne lives in Hood River and uses Mt. Hood as a training lap.
    Yeah, I know all of that. I didn’t know Cody had already bagged Hood on this project, so I was wondering why he didn’t run up to OR and tag along for one of those and knock it off the list.

I'd guess that part of this was about getting used to operating at the limits of mental and physical endurance. Some of the lines Cody has left to ski are likely probably going to require pushing that envelope in environments with much more objective danger.

I'd guess that part of this was about getting used to operating at the limits of mental and physical endurance. Some of the lines Cody has left to ski are likely probably going to require pushing that envelope in environments with much more objective danger.
    ^^^This.

Mt. St. Elias is serious business, this was a training run for the Mira Face.

Agree as well. Skiing these relatively easy lines when, as alka put it, if I remember correctly, “I’m not make good mental decisions”, is great practice, because the consequences would be low.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Also, everyone needs to do a long distance road bike tour at least once in their life... So they learn that once was enough.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by gointhedistance View Post
    I don't post much these days... but,

I definitely noticed throughout that Cody progressed to look like a "60 year old crusty ski patroller" while Michelle seemed to be a little more steady throughout. Cody, any comments on your regression to the mean of society and Michelle's ability to exude awesomeness? Gear differences? Fitness? Weight - she being lighter - less "work" on the ups?
    FWIW, Michelle is a sponsored Specialized rider who has real chops on the bike. Cody rode in approach shoes on flat pedals - all the more impressive on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    FWIW, Michelle is a sponsored Specialized rider who has real chops on the bike. Cody rode in approach shoes on flat pedals - all the more impressive on his part.
    A lot of bike touring is done on flats. If your fit is not absolutely dialed you can cause a lot of damage to your joints clipped into a static position over that many miles. Flats provide the flexibility for your body to naturally adjust to protect itself from injury. Efficiency is worthless if your joints are fucked.

Is the goal to go fast or go far?

Super impressive journey as usual from Cody and crew.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    A lot of bike touring is done on flats. If your fit is not absolutely dialed you can cause a lot of damage to your joints clipped into a static position over that many miles. Flats provide the flexibility for your body to naturally adjust to protect itself from injury. Efficiency is worthless if your joints are fucked.

Is the goal to go fast or go far?

Super impressive journey as usual from Cody and crew.
    For sure - I wasn't implying that Cody made a mistake with his choice, but rather it didn't help his overall efficiency vs Michelle's when looking at power and energy-consumption in the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    For sure - I wasn't implying that Cody made a mistake with his choice, but rather it didn't help his overall efficiency vs Michelle's when looking at power and energy-consumption in the moment.
    The actual loss of efficiency is vanishingly small.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'd be curious to know if Michelle has done much bike touring before. I believe Cody said this was his first time, so doing 1,000 miles pulling a trailer is pretty insane. No surprise his body was broken down by the end. As Michelle talked about near the end, you reach a point where you just hope you're not doing permanent damage to your body. Agree that this could be mental training for climbs like St. Elias, because however hard that mountain turns out to be, at least it won't require a 1,000 mile bike tour.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The actual loss of efficiency is vanishingly small.
    how so?

[i ask because personal experience with power delivery to pedals is that clipped in is smoother & more constant power, but i'm no pro...kinda noticeable riding fixed gear, for instance]

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    how so?

[i ask because personal experience with power delivery to pedals is that clipped in is smoother & more constant power, but i'm no pro...kinda noticeable riding fixed gear, for instance]
    I can’t find a link but there is a study on this, maybe more. The efficiency comes from your pedal stroke technique and the effectiveness of the up stroke from being clicked or strapped in was debunked too. It’s all about turning smooth circles.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums