Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132
Results 3,276 to 3,291 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Love to see my offspring ski it in the right conditions.
    Snow sticking to that blue ice ain't common however.
    September for the best chance.

There's folks doing rad stuff under the radar.
    Used to be one of them.
    Robson's been skied more than twice.
    I do believe one would clear the bergschrund in a fall...
    I have a decently recent photo of it in primo conditions, in a time of year I didn't quite expect. If the snow is in, it looks like an incredibly amazing ski. To me, Robson is the least scary of the last 4, but potentially the hardest to nail because of the combination of a miracle of snow sticking to blue ice and good weather. Oh and I also have factual evidence it has been skied by more than 3 people. Canadians put the JHAF to shame when it comes to being swift, silent and deep.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Cody, bjarne, and family are moving?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make the content. Creating the content is like a second and third job beyond the skiing. I imagine when standing on most of the peaks you all did for the project, you all saw dozens of more lines you’d like to ski.

Question: was Vivian employed as a paid guide when on Baffin Island?
    I've seen this bubble up a little bit of being "guided" throughout this series. Which people are free to believe whatever they want. But I have never hired a guide for this entire project. Vivian is both a guide and a professional skier, so was able to fund his travels through sponsors. The dynamics of a trip change entirely when you "hire" a guide and whenever I'm with trained guides on lines, we always have a pre-trip discussions to reiterate that we are all partners, a team and equal part contributors to decisions. Without that discussion the roles we all play in the mountains can get muddled, confusing and potentially dangerous.

Thanks for the thrills, laughs, views and insights that my old arse will never see on that scale anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Canadians put the JHAF to shame when it comes to being swift, silent and deep.

Here we go...typical Squawllywood'er throwing jabs at the Jackson crew whenever possible. Face it, Village > Squaw crew. Thought that was settled 25yrs ago!

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I've seen this bubble up a little bit of being "guided" throughout this series. Which people are free to believe whatever they want. But I have never hired a guide for this entire project. Vivian is both a guide and a professional skier, so was able to fund his travels through sponsors. The dynamics of a trip change entirely when you "hire" a guide and whenever I'm with trained guides on lines, we always have a pre-trip discussions to reiterate that we are all partners, a team and equal part contributors to decisions. Without that discussion the roles we all play in the mountains can get muddled, confusing and potentially dangerous.
    Thanks for the response. Sorry if you’ve answered that question before. It was difficult to tell in your video and the complimentary video from the others on Baffin Island raised the question in my head.

I understand the dynamics you mention. I often play in the mountains and rivers with friends that are or were professional guides, and I have been one myself. My experience is those dynamics get trickier with the tweens and their parents, “My impulsive kid will be fine on their first camping/backpack trip with friends because Cody’s going and he’s a professional…..” and in reality, your going because you have time, the vehicle to get a bunch of kids to the trailhead, love the kids, and love being in the backcountry with your kid.

Love to see my offspring ski it in the right conditions.
    Snow sticking to that blue ice ain't common however.
    September for the best chance.

There's folks doing rad stuff under the radar.
    Used to be one of them.
    Robson's been skied more than twice.
    I do believe one would clear the bergschrund in a fall...
    Yeah that makes sense. There’s definitely a lot of “first descents” that weren’t actually first - I know there’s a lot of that out here in the Eastern Sierra. Was happy to see your daughter put the sticks back on her feet recently after the time away.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Thanks, us too. So good.

Always thought it presumptuous to claim a first.
    Specially nowadays.
    Better to claim a first known one.
    Better yet to say nothing and leave the adventure unknown for the next comer...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Thanks, us too. So good.

Always thought it presumptuous to claim a first.
    Specially nowadays.
    Better to claim a first known one.
    So true.

I've said this here before. It was an honor and great experience to have dinner with Bob Bates and his wife Gail yrs ago. To hear all his stories and especially attempting K2 in 1938! Insane.

There's always a chance someone has been there before you.

Last episode was pretty funny Bikes, 4x4s and hiking for corn snow with a great crew

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

My wife at the end of that episode when she clued into this being the end

Congrats!
    watch out for snakes

This should be the mantra for all mountain travelers going forward

I love the truck that just decided to park on the road with "REALLY?!?!?" written into the dust.

it's funny to extoll doing cool stuff but not telling people about it in a thread about a project of doing cool stuff with friends and making/sharing videos about it and all of us enjoying consuming it

There’s a difference between Average Joe and a spancered athlete.

I really enjoyed this series of videos but if someone else did this and told no one did it still mean something? Of course

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    it's funny to extoll doing cool stuff but not telling people about it in a thread about a project of doing cool stuff with friends and making/sharing videos about it and all of us enjoying consuming it
    You're not wrong!

For me it kinda goes both ways I guess. I appreciate both sides. I've known some people that have done really cool stuff and didn't tell many people about it and I certainly appreciate Cody sharing this adventure. Before all the social stuff shit would go down all over like the JHAF guys or whomever and you might read about it a year later in powder mag. It's just a different time and I appreciate the old school and the new school.

I've skied the n face of every mtn in the world just never thought to mention it.