Page 25 of 132 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Only cost Larry Csonka $5000.

30’C here in Pemby this week, ski season is mostly done so I’m back on the Interwebz, hadn’t seen this thread before.

Cody here’s a couple pics from Combatant from 2 weeks ago. Less than ideal conditions this season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4783.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	282312

Name:	IMG_5145.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	282313

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Damn, maybe it's a good thing you skied Joffre this year. Twisting couloir is gone. I'm sure Pemby locals will start posting pics of a massive landslide shortly...

just saw Cody's insta post about that!!! Holy shit that is a crazy slide.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

That landslide IS massive based on the photo Cody just posted on FB. Crazy. It looks like the mountain is steaming on one of the photos, like the dust still settling. The debris flow looks other worldly. Devastation.

re. Joffre, that's fuggin' nuts!!! man, I thought having something like Meager happen in my lifetime was something, but two massive landslides within such close proximity is extremely wild

Wow, yeah, huge slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    30’C here in Pemby this week, ski season is mostly done so I’m back on the Interwebz, hadn’t seen this thread before.

Cody here’s a couple pics from Combatant from 2 weeks ago. Less than ideal conditions this season.

Name:	IMG_4783.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	282312

Name:	IMG_5145.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	282313

That isn't the Combatant couloir. The image you posted is the right arrow, the Combatant couloir is the left arrow, which is out of sight in those photos. Makes a pretty big difference as Combatant does not have the glacial features that the other couloir does

...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190513-145632.jpeg 
Views:	205 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	282326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190513-145638.jpeg 
Views:	194 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	282327

Holy shit

yeah, no kidding. If you were anywhere it that valley you'd be so fucked.

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    It is by far the least fun part of this project. The difference between Dav's project and mine first and foremost is "Red Bull" at the front. Throw that name in front of an Forest Service officer and they'll immediately knee jerk to denying you any sort of permission.
    Massive landslide discussion > film permitting nuances, but I thought Dav and team shot a bunch of skiing w/out a permit. Then months later they tried to secure a permit retroactively to use that footage in his commerical film. Could be the permitting folks just wanted nothing to do with a “Red Bull” film, but I think he would have been SOL either way after shooting so much w/out a permit.
    Last edited by kathleenturneroverdrive; 05-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.

That landslide is quite an event. Shit is massive! Idk what the approach was like before but should be pretty straightforward now

another shot of the slide from Ministry of Transportion avy techs
    Name:  news.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  192.6 KB

Here's a better shot of Joffre after and before. After shot from Jamie. Before shot I took around 2010

Twisting Couloir gone. Looks like that whole block of choss fell off the NE face. On the bright side access improved!

Man look at that ice hanging up there.

Access? Up the debris flow? Fuck that. The flake is gonna keep peelin for a few, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Man look at that ice hanging up there.

Access? Up the debris flow? Fuck that. The flake is gonna keep peelin for a few, yeah?
    Some Aussie and/or citiot will bootpack straight up it. Guaranteed!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Here's a better shot of Joffre after and before. After shot from Jamie. Before shot I took around 2010

Twisting Couloir gone. Looks like that whole block of choss fell off the NE face. On the bright side access improved!
    That’s the shot I wanted to see. Holy shit.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So Twisting Couloir is now a ski BASE line?

Went up the summer trail this afternoon to check it out. Once I got the drone up 1500’ and saw this, I bailed and went out the long way. No need to go back down the drainage under that slurpee of death. Looks like Lee already posted my other pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI_0012.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	911.9 KB 
ID:	282394

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by rwalk View Post
    That isn't the Combatant couloir. The image you posted is the right arrow, the Combatant couloir is the left arrow, which is out of sight in those photos. Makes a pretty big difference as Combatant does not have the glacial features that the other couloir does
    Yeah, I was reading and looking over the 50 Classics book before I left and Google Earth too. Wasn’t sure. Thought it may have been the bigger of the ones up there, looks like Combatant is 500m according to Google Earth. Did get a glance at it the following day from lower down the NW ridge. Hope someone is bagging that other one far right.

Went up the summer trail this afternoon to check it out. Once I got the drone up 1500’ and saw this, I bailed and went out the long way. No need to go back down the drainage under that slurpee of death. Looks like Lee already posted my other pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI_0012.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	911.9 KB 
ID:	282394

If that happened in winter there would.be a lot of corpses. .wow

I think this woulda been it, top hidden left the arrow?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yeah, I was reading and looking over the 50 Classics book before I left and Google Earth too. Wasn’t sure. Thought it may have been the bigger of the ones up there, looks like Combatant is 500m according to Google Earth. Did get a glance at it the following day from lower down the NW ridge. Hope someone is bagging that other one far right.

We were planning to make the trip this year to ski all of those couloirs up that col, but the low tide year had us postpone to next year Seems like the right call after seeing these current photos, although I guess I'm not quite sure how well-bridged those crevasses get on a typical year, they seem pretty open compared to what I'd expect to see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rwalk View Post
    We were planning to make the trip this year to ski all of those couloirs up that col, but the low tide year had us postpone to next year Seems like the right call after seeing these current photos, although I guess I'm not quite sure how well-bridged those crevasses get on a typical year, they seem pretty open compared to what I'd expect to see.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    The crevasses are usually well bridged. It's shockingly low tide this year in the Wadd Homathko Niut