Page 43 of 132 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I hate Phish, obsess over power transmission dynamics of the ski / boot / binding interface and don't really like weed...so my money is on the under for this ever happening.
    Yep. Gonna happen

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

I hate Phish, obsess over power transmission dynamics of the ski / boot / binding interface and don't really like weed...so my money is on the under for this ever happening.
    This means, "it's happening". You want some maven's mounted up?

I gotcha back.

More Bjarne stuff will be coming this season. I have an episode for an idea that I think will help highlight a bit of what he does out there.
    I am looking forward to this. I love hearing about all the logistics that go i to such a project, but even more all the work the unsung heroes like the photo crew does. It is interesting to see all the effort the photogs put in.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I hate Phish
    We all have our faults.

obsess over power transmission dynamics of the ski / boot / binding interface and don't really like weed...so my money is on the under for this ever happening.
    Right there with you on all counts.

You should work moar Flylow into the viddy or at least a phish sticker on your helmet.

Its what all the hippie telemarkers like to wear.

I can send you a vintage GSA sticker, free of charge, but it has to get a spancered locashun.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    I can send you a vintage GSA sticker, free of charge, but it has to get a spancered locashun.
    yes, make this happen...!

Huge thanks for showing the no-go decisions, and having them not be positioned as failures. I'm sure there's a temptation not to show this kind of thing like in the Rainier episode as it's a bit slower and less insanely great video. This is especially true on destination peaks like Rainier or Denali - it's tough to bail on something you've trained all year and traveled a great distance to do, only to have the weather not cooperate. It's modeling good behavior. The bails are as important as the summits. I watch the episodes either way.

We could be terrified and ski shitty glacier in a whiteout and/or 70 mph wind, or party ski wide open corn and drink a beer in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Huge thanks for showing the no-go decisions, and having them not be positioned as failures. I'm sure there's a temptation not to show this kind of thing like in the Rainier episode as it's a bit slower and less insanely great video. This is especially true on destination peaks like Rainier or Denali - it's tough to bail on something you've trained all year and traveled a great distance to do, only to have the weather not cooperate. It's modeling good behavior. The bails are as important as the summits. I watch the episodes either way.

We could be terrified and ski shitty glacier in a whiteout and/or 70 mph wind, or party ski wide open corn and drink a beer in the sun.
    100% agree. Watched it last night and was a bit surprised/bummed when they were done and back at Paradise. But then the honesty of the whole thing and their decision sunk in and was appreciated. We all know that trips/projects don’t usually go 100% smooth, though the media hype machine would portray otherwise. I think it adds to the depth of the overall narrative to include this stuff and not just scrap the footage.

Big ups to Cody and Bjarne for conveying the truth of the process and still making it interesting and informative.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Agree with the other comments, making an episode of a no-go is really great.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Watched the Joffre episode and wondered if the injured guy was by himself? Never heard anything about any partners. If so, that is crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by montpow View Post
    Watched the Joffre episode and wondered if the injured guy was by himself?
    cody said the dude was solo on his totally deep podcast interview. http://totallydeep.libsyn.com/episod...fifty-classics

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Agree with the other comments, making an episode of a no-go is really great.
    Funny enough, the original plan was to have one episode for each line. So 50 nice and tidy little episodes. If failure on an objective happened then we'd build that into the episode and always end with success. Then we got to Alaska, failed on our first two lines up there and I personally realized that having episodes that end with failure on completing the objective were more valuable for the story, the audience and better reflected the nature of turning around than having a nice and tidy 50 clean episodes. Who knows how many episodes we will have now but yeah, that decision kind of came midseason last year. Obviously some turn-arounds aren't getting episodes as we did fail on two last year that don't have episodes yet but overall, I felt like having non-successful episodes better representing objective based skiing than all successful episodes.

The decision to turn around coming from a pro like you is a good lesson for all wannabes. I have learned it through my 50+ years of skiing, climbing, hiking, et al. Wished I would have learned turning around is a smart thing to do early in my life. Awe, to be young and dumb.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Awe, to be young and dumb.
    Best and fastest way to gain experience I suppose.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Funny enough, the original plan was to have one episode for each line. So 50 nice and tidy little episodes. If failure on an objective happened then we'd build that into the episode and always end with success. Then we got to Alaska, failed on our first two lines up there and I personally realized that having episodes that end with failure on completing the objective were more valuable for the story, the audience and better reflected the nature of turning around than having a nice and tidy 50 clean episodes. Who knows how many episodes we will have now but yeah, that decision kind of came midseason last year. Obviously some turn-arounds aren't getting episodes as we did fail on two last year that don't have episodes yet but overall, I felt like having non-successful episodes better representing objective based skiing than all successful episodes.
    It’s a good decision. Adds a realistic and unique angle to the series.
    27° 18°

not to mention it's also about creating content. they certainly aren't looking for reasons to remove content, other than time constraints within a particular episode. but the more episodes the better, for them and for us. but most importantly for us. that way we don't have to go all summer without episodes like last year. remember how horrible that was??? I had to go outside
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    not to mention it's also about creating content. they certainly aren't looking for reasons to remove content, other than time constraints within a particular episode. but the more episodes the better, for them and for us. but most importantly for us. that way we don't have to go all summer without episodes like last year. remember how horrible that was??? I had to go outside
    The only potential downside is getting repetitive with storylines or dulling the final successful episode. Like for a re-try on Sphinx, I'm unsure of how the episode will turn out if we're successful on the second. Obviously we start with we've failed before but from there, it's the same ole episode and could be very repetitive. Granted, we can also show things we may have missed the first time now that we're familiar with the line. It's something I'm not too worried about because as you said, better to keep making content than removing it in this world, but I also don't like putting crap I'm not proud of out there.

Oh and a full summer without episodes, oh my, that sounds so fucking awesome again. Being able to go outside is a wonderful thing. I've been more glued to my computer with this project than anytime ever in my entire life. It's horrible how often I'm glued to this fucker.

good stuff all around!!

I sincerely doubt anyone would be remembering the details of the first attempt while watching the second. Maybe in retrospect it could be seen as repetitive... but in the moment, stoke is stoke.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

When doing a retry, just pick an entirely different focus. A person, a different perspective, etc. Treat it as another creative license.

smoke another one dude

speaking of past episodes, this came out today. doesn't seem like a whole lot new
    https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...-landslides-2/

i'm sure there's tons of info in the actual article, but that's behind a paywall ($40)
    Last edited by powdork; 01-07-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Another positive response here for showing failed attempts. It's real. It's part of staying alive in the mountains.

I think you're doing a great job managing the content. Hopefully you found some help and aren't as inundated with production work?

I think it shows a lot of confidence that you've been as open as you are about all of your processes. Like a lot of mags I've been skiing and mountaineering for awhile and have learned a couple things from watching, so I'm sure a lot of people are picking up some tricks. Just watched the Q&A episode from last spring and thought you did a great job talking about risk assessment and the balance of doing something you love that can be dangerous.

Party Lap!

shredding the gnar. party skiing.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.