Page 82 of 132 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Any View Post
    @Alkasquawlik, regarding keeping feet warm; my tip is antiperspirant.

I spray the bottom (especially) and top of my feet just before putting socks on.
    walking around on top of the antiperspirant layer wears it away, and can make the floor slippery :P, so its the last thing you do before socks.
    this means your feet sweat a heap less, if at all, and thus prevents them from getting cold.

doesn't really do much for ultra hot spring tours, but for 99% other scenarios it works great.
    go from toes so cold you cant feel them or feels like a frozen lump just before your toes, to being comfy all day.

it doesn't seem all antiperspirants work the same, I think its to do with genetics and different pore sizes, so find and use whatever works for you. please start with some of the more environmentally friendly ones tho.
    I expect there are a bunch of anti-antiperspirant people out there. but I'll choose to keep frostbite off my toes every time.

oh, and of course merino/bamboo socks.
    I use this trick a lot too. I have a Kiehls antiperspirant cream and it does wonders. But you can't bring it for multi-days. I'm in the sweaty foot category so closed cell foam liners make my feet super warm very quickly and then by the end of the day, absolutely frozen. I poke holes in the toe boxes of my liners to help increase ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I'm talking about the actual pedaling of the bike while wearing the skis...
    Shane did it switch ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

I honestly can't remember the last time I used a 3L shell jacket in the backcountry.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    I honestly can't remember the last time I used a 3L shell jacket in the backcountry.
    Bingo.

Any reason tech fittings can't be put into Crocs to solve footwear breathability? They put SPD cleats on them

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Any reason tech fittings can't be put into Crocs to solve footwear breathability? They put SPD cleats on them
    they can be but the soles aren't 9523 compatible.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Bingo.
    I can't remember the last time I didn't. Saved my ass so many times.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Same. Don't even own one. Have a little rain jacket for when it might rain.

The FIFTY

Let me clarify: in Maritime climates, and for late spring/summer skiing in the Rockies, I’ll pack the 3L Goretex. If I was doing a multi day trip in Alaska, I’d have Goretex.

Rockies splitter here, always have a 3L jacket with me. Sometimes it only goes on for the ride down but often it gets busted out for windy ridges. Its light, super packable, and the most weather proof piece in the kit so why not carry it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Rockies splitter here, always have a 3L jacket with me. Sometimes it only goes on for the ride down but often it gets busted out for windy ridges. Its light, super packable, and the most weather proof piece in the kit so why not carry it?
    Because it's cold and dry and I'd rather use the space and weight on an extra insulating layer. Wind shirts block the wind, puffies add warmth if it's cold, and I don't ski in the rain. I guess if I were going out mid-pineapple express I'd take a hardshell but I usually don't do that because I like being able to get home instead of stuck in guaranteed day-long highway closures.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Its light, super packable, and the most weather proof piece in the kit so why not carry it?
    Because they breathe poorly and the Rockies are dry. You're far more likely to get wet from perspiration that precipitation. Waterproof clothing is mostly pointless until spring. A softshell with a tight weave has no trouble blocking wind and shedding Rockies snow, and doesn't trap sweat like a hardshell. A nice bonus is that softshells are cheaper, easier to wash, and typically more durable (no delamination issues). Like Superior said, in other areas where rain and wet snow are common a hardshell is a must have for staying dry.

With our current pattern in thePNW, this talk of snow light enough to shed sounds delightful….Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1638114995.528324.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	394354

I consider full goretex a safety margin on multi day and travel, but savor the freedom when softshells are possible.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    A softshell with a tight weave has no trouble blocking wind and shedding Rockies snow, and doesn't trap sweat like a hardshell.
    This intrigues me a lot as I've always felt I was getting more overall weather protection with a shell (obviously in terms of waterproofing, but also overall warmth, wind blocking, etc which seems to be a myth!). Any reccos on soft shells for this purpose?

A good goretex shell can also work to draw the moisture out of you by tightening the wrist straps and hood if you found yourself sweaty at a point in time.

Think yoyo lapping in deep pow. Lots of transitions etc..

I learned this from certain individual in the Esplanade. Tried it and it works. For that reason and many others listed, I always pack it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Another great episode. Lots of opinions and methods out there... Mine = take on/off hat and/or gloves alot to regulate overall temp. Quick, easy and can do it on-the-fly. Oh, and start your tour cold! Despite my repeated friendly recommendations, my partners always bundle way up at the trailhead and then shed a whole bunch at the 5-10 minute mark

This intrigues me a lot as I've always felt I was getting more overall weather protection with a shell (obviously in terms of waterproofing, but also overall warmth, wind blocking, etc which seems to be a myth!). Any reccos on soft shells for this purpose?
    I don't have a recommendation, because mine has been going strong for so long. I haven't been paying attention to what is available.

Some softshells are extremely air permeable and some are woven so tightly that they are nearly windproof. I also find that among those I've tried the less stretchy fabrics tend to resist moisture better, but I don't know if that is universal. There are also garments marketed as softshells that have membranes. These won't breathe much better than Goretex. I guess the trick is choosing the right fabric for your needs.

The truth is most of the time I don't even wear the softshell. I just wear a base layer and a Houdini windbreaker. The windbreaker sheds CO snow just fine. If it gets a bit damp it dries out very quickly. If I'm cold I throw a breathable insulation layer on top. If I'm warm I take off the windbreaker. I use thin hat, gloves and buff I can take on and off and stuff in a thigh pocket to manage temps without stopping to change layers. This works for me from single digits up to around freezing if I pick the right base layer (thick gloves for single digits). But I do bring the softshell when sustained high winds are possible (maybe 40+ mph). When you layer the softshell over a windbreaker it's pretty much windproof, plus you get better coverage with the softshell's hood and cuffs.

By no means am I saying that my way is the right way to dress. I run hot, don't sweat much and ski in a place that is mostly cold and dry. Change any of that and the way I dress would change too.

^^^ second ISBD (for CO and a "run hot" person)... houdini windbreaker "shell" + a nano-air jacket (very breathable insulation) - and then big puffy in pack in case weather unexpectedly turns, or out longer due to say injury.
    This is weather dependent of course - if variable weather or out longer, then usually a full shell + insulated over-shorts in the pack too. My himali monsoon shell is like 350 gr (vs Pat houdini ~100 gr)
    And always a Sol bivy in med kit as a safety net

winter weather touring (california), I bring a synth filled insulation layer instead of a down layer. Learned that lesson the hard way touring during a big wet storm cycle in UT, where my down puffy got wetted out. Multi-day trips, I sometimes take my synth and down insulation and my hard shells.

Wife took kids back to college…I needed a day off/break after the Black Friday-Shop Local Saturday deluge we had at the ski shop this weekend……so, it was a feet up kind of a day…lol…I went back to the beginning and did a “Fifty” binge. Great stuff….again.

It’s even better the second time…..lol.

I'll never understand the love for softshells. Heavy, not that packable, cold, not really windproof, not really waterproof. I've tried a few, they are best suited for the back of the closet.

3l shell, puffy for breaks or emergencies, and an insulating layer for me.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Gamma LT Hoody is the best I’ve tried. The softshells with a fleece backer fabric are much less breathable so look out for that when shopping.

U jongs done yet? Take this shit to tech talk...or Alpine zone!

Well, the topic of the video was layering…. So mission accomplished starting a discussion about it here. That’s the point of these videos anyway.

It’s not “Cody skis the coolest lines top to bottom nonstop,” it’s how to actually bag big ass peaks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    U jongs done yet? Take this shit to tech talk...or Alpine zone!
    Right?
    Wool and windbreakers.
    nuff said.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.