Page 13 of 132 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Re the Central Couloir rescue - posted this to Youtube but may be useful for others

FYI there is a phone app for Iphone and Android called "GPS App". It works in airplane mode offline. It will take your GPS point in different formats (WGS84, NAD27 etc) and save it in the phone's clipboard. You can then send that location to SAR. Pemberton, Whistler SAR work off WGS84 but that is location-specific.

Of course on paper and electronic mapping devices you can also handplot the victim's GPS coordinates but the phone app is a mechanism to save a GPS coordinate at some point in time which you can use later to relay to SAR for a starting point for search
    I just downloaded one called GPS App on my iPhone and it just has a Spanish login when you open it. Is GPS App the exact name?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Alka,

Good Work
    And Lucky timing for the victim

Please explain what you mean by the delays with a PLB.

Why wouldn’t one just activate the PLB, leave it with your buddy/victim AND head out for cell phone?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I have no formal SAR training and luckily have never needed to call for help for any reason, but I would hesitate to activate a PLB and then report it separately by phone.

I would worry that reporting twice could cause confusion from the first responders and end up slowing down the rescue. But I’d be interesting to hear from some pros about what the best solution would be in a situation like that.

Alka,

Good Work
    And Lucky timing for the victim

Please explain what you mean by the delays with a PLB.

Why wouldn’t one just activate the PLB, leave it with your buddy/victim AND head out for cell phone?

The delays are from a third party that acts like a call center located in Texas. It takes time to relay information to them and them to relay it to RCMP or SAR.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    The delays are from a third party that acts like a call center located in Texas. It takes time to relay information to them and them to relay it to RCMP or SAR.
    I think it was also about his personal relationship with the local heli-op making expediting everything possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I have no formal SAR training and luckily have never needed to call for help for any reason, but I would hesitate to activate a PLB and then report it separately by phone.

I would worry that reporting twice could cause confusion from the first responders and end up slowing down the rescue. But I’d be interesting to hear from some pros about what the best solution would be in a situation like that.
    Once upon a rescue we initiated the PLB and reported it via Sat-Phone to the RCMP. The PLB was slow and hard to get all the info across due to the nature of the incident. RCMP was aware of the emergency thru the PLB and was able to patch us across to SAR where we could talk directly to the rescuers and figure out an action plan. Didn't help that the only helicopter around was 150km away, but we got him out of there and he lived!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I think it was also about his personal relationship with the local heli-op making expediting everything possible.
    Cody and Bjarne Crushed it!! Well thought out and executed!! Every second counted in that scenario.

Great videos so far- enjoying all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I just downloaded one called GPS App on my iPhone and it just has a Spanish login when you open it. Is GPS App the exact name?
    My bad. Typo. It's "GPS Status"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...atus2&hl=en_CA

I actually thought it was the same app for iPhone but may not be https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/gps-...378085995?mt=8

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Slight drift: Are cell phones physically incapable of sending a GPS based signal like a PLB? I assume that's why no subscription type apps exists for phones. You think companies like OnX, etc would be all over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Slight drift: Are cell phones physically incapable of sending a GPS based signal like a PLB? I assume that's why no subscription type apps exists for phones. You think companies like OnX, etc would be all over that.
    They are capable of sending your GPS coordinates when on a call with 911 services, but can only broadcast through cellphone networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I think the cost of installing that capability in the phone itself is prohibitive. Guessing anyway.

One thought after re-watching, total spinal immobilization is on its way out. There's zero evidence of secondary injury's being a real concern, it was a theory back in the day which is why EVERYONE got a backboard. If he's standing and self splinting from any painful positions with no numbness, tingling, or deficits I'd work toward self evacuating in the case of a helo not getting there before dark. A C collar would be nice, but you could wrap a puffy around his neck to remind him to keep it as still as possible and get moving. Yes its a crazy mechanism and distracting injuries, but he stands a better chance out of the elements than in. Again, nice work.

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    The reason that I have one is that I want to hit that button where I am and know that a distress call with a location is getting out NOW.

Are you talking about PLBs like ACR or Spot or both?

I think that perhaps he was right in this circumstance to go straight to the helicopter since he had that relationship but I’d like to think that SAR/RCMP would do the same given a PLB distress signal from such a location.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

The FIFTY

I’d like to think that SAR/RCMP would do the same given a PLB distress signal from such a location.
    I think the point of this conversation, and the impetus for the plan of action taken that day, is that your belief is false and the response time is likely longer than they and the injured individual were prepared for or capable of surviving.

I have no personal experience in this arena, but the fact that SAR gave them positive feedback that their choice to make direct contact vs triggering the PLB was the correct action implies that there is a delay of more than 1.5 hours when using a PLB. In other circumstances, further away from cell service, etc, no doubt the PLB would be the faster response time.

Very impressive logic, awareness and action by Cody and his partner that day. They are heroes and the injured fella is unbelievably lucky.
    Last edited by jackattack; 04-05-2019 at 04:37 PM.

I can speak only for BC. Both Spot and InReach dispatch to a third party private org which then channels comms to local 911, SAR and LEO. Time taken is typically 1hr plus.

ACR Resqlink works very like Epirb in that it activates closest SAR directly. In that case it may be CFB Comox. It may be Blackcomb Heli. Time taken is less than 1 hour

The reason that I have one is that I want to hit that button where I am and know that a distress call with a location is getting out NOW.

Are you talking about PLBs like ACR or Spot or both?

I think that perhaps he was right in this circumstance to go straight to the helicopter since he had that relationship but I’d like to think that SAR/RCMP would do the same given a PLB distress signal from such a location.

With PLB activation. The RCMP are contacted 1st and become the coordinators of the rescue who then dispatch SAR. That’s where the delays come from.

If u have a sat phone and local SAR #. Contact them directly, That would be ur fastest plan unless like in this case you know someone at the heli op u can contact.

Fantastic effort all the way around.

Anybody that second guesses decisions made can suck my bunghole.

Does anyone else want one of those sweet wall of cubby holes to store gear?

Wish my place was bigger or I would build one.
    watch out for snakes

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Fantastic effort all the way around.

Anybody that second guesses decisions made can suck my bunghole.
    Was there someone second guessing that his decisions saved that guys bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Thank you for posting that and going through your thought process.

Some details about Personal Locator Beacons and Search And Rescue response systems.

PLBs come in two different varieties.

Most people are more familiar with Spot and Delorme/Garmin inReach varieties. There are now a few other devices popping up that work in similar ways (but may have a different response path). These work off of satellite messaging services (though different satellite networks which causes a huge difference in coverage and capabilities).

When you hit the button on those, it has to wake up, get a signal from the network, start receiving GPS coordinates (can take up to 15 min if it hasn't been on recently) and then send a signal out (with coordinates). That signal then is received by GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center.

Their first step (unless you have a messaging device) will be to get in touch with your emergency contacts to find out what you are doing. If you have a messaging device, and you are able to send messages back and forth, they will try to work off that information.

The next step that GEOS will follow in most cases is to get in touch with state/province wide police. There may be regions where they have a more direct contact with a local SAR, but they will usually have to work through the regional level before they can communicate the location (and if messaging, actual needs) to the local SAR team. In some regions (like here in Maine) they will never talk to the SAR team directly, and will end up communicating with a police or warden coordinator.

If that sounds like a lot of steps to get through, it is, and messages get lost or scrambled at every step.

The other type of device is a EPIRB PLB. EPIRBs evolved from locator beacons for crashed military aircraft, before expanding to general aviation, then marine, and finally to personal devices. The personal devices can usually be differentiated from inReach/Spot style devices by the antenna that you need to fold out before transmitting. EPIRB system design and response standards are controlled by the international COSPAS-SARSAT organization.

EPIRBs have a slightly different response and locating path. When you activate one, it immediately start transmitting it's ID code.

There are many different satellite constellations that pick up the code, and locate it based on doppler shifts (the received frequency changing as the satellite goes overhead). This can take several satellite passes before they can get a good location, call it about 4 hours, but usually closer to 50 min to get 12.5 km² (4.8 square miles) accuracy. Or about a 7th of Manhattan, so only precise enough to know which town to call.

Most units these days also have a GPS receiver, but due to the standard can only get to about 100m accuracy (still a heck of a lot better). The international standard says that resources are not allowed to be dispatched until at least a doppler track matches a GPS track, or two matching doppler tracks.

As soon as an ID code is received, a Rescue Coordination Center will start getting in touch with your emergency contacts, even before they have a location. The difference from the inReach/Spot model is that this is almost always a government organization instead of a commercial entity. In the US it's a cooperation between the Coast Guard and Air Force, where as in Canada it's between their Coast Guard and the Canadian Forces Search and Rescue.

These organizations also take charge of coordinating the rescue, whereas GEOS usually ends up operating as a telephone operator. They also can contact resource like the National Guard a whole lot easier than GEOS can. They will also communicate with state/provincial and local services and get everyone marching to the same tune.

Now that you've made it through that comparison, if you want the most resources coming your way when you hit the button, get an EPIRB. If communication and the ability to manage slightly less critical incidents is important, get an inReach. If you only get in trouble near the equator where you have a great view of the sky, you could get a Spot, but I wouldn't.

Try to find out how SAR is dispatched in your region. Around here if you try to call a team directly, you'll quickly find out that there is no official number. We are dispatched by the Wardens who also handle coordination between resources, but the state police handle the initial call to 911.

oh for fucks sake.

Thanks for the kickass videos Cody. Bjarne does a phenomenal job with video quality and the skiing isn't bad either. I really like the decision making explanations vs just watching you rip the shit out of it. Or Not rip the shit out of it at Joffre.

Wow! Guy is super lucky and amazing work and quick thinking on Cody and Bjarnes part. I want to know more about the guy who dropped central solo! wtf and awesome to hear that he is going to be ok. Looks like he sustained pretty significant closed head injuries. Good job guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    As soon as an ID code is received, a Rescue Coordination Center will start getting in touch with your emergency contacts, even before they have a location. The difference from the inReach/Spot model is that this is almost always a government organization instead of a commercial entity. In the US it's a cooperation between the Coast Guard and Air Force, where as in Canada it's between their Coast Guard and the Canadian Forces Search and Rescue.
    If people are a little more curious about how this level is setup, Canada has three Joint Rescue Coordination Centres. The relevant one in this incident would have been JRCC Victoria, which is located on the naval base in Esquimalt. They are responsible for an area of over 1.5million square kilometres, including BC, Yukon and a large wedge of the Pacific ocean extending to about 200nm off of Haida Gwaii at its furthest point. On the average winter day, there will be three guys working there - two Coast Guard Officers to handle marine incidents, and one (maybe two) Air Force Captains to handle aviation incidents. They're cross-trained so they can jump over and help when the other side needs them, but there is definitely some specialization there. The Marine guys know BC waters really well, but they're not going to be nearly as familiar with the geography and resources on land.

So this isn't some massive team to coordinate the rescue, it's one or maybe two guys. They receive the satellite signal which contains the ID code and position, then coordinate everything from there. At the same time, there may be a call they're working on already, and a new one can come in at any point. We're lucky as skiers in that winter is the slow season. Once summer arrives calls come in pretty much nonstop.

I'm not saying this to scare people away from using these resources. The guys at JRCC are professionals who are very good at what they do. It's the busiest SAR region in Canada and responding to SAR calls is something they do multiple times a day. That said, calling the responding team directly removes several steps in the operation, and clear and easy back and forth communication can make what needs to happen much clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Alkasquawlik
    Did you ski anything between the 17th and 20th around Joffre? Rest?

You are a beast able to make those hop turns that well after such approaches, down climb, etc.... maybe you can make a career of this skiing thing.

That was a great episode, showed some decision making, and I can't wait to see the bonus... gripping.
    I kind of forget since it was a while ago but I think we did go for another tour on the Duffy. Mainly what changed was our approach. We just discussed that if we climb it, we'll get a far better feel for the line and snow and make an easier, more informed decision of whether it was skiable or not.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Big ups Alka - what a fun project. Agreed with all - great work on the rescue and description of the thought and strategy behind the extraction.

Gotta hand it to the behind-the-camera-partner Bjarne too - the filming has been awesome, even somehow with drones too. The guy must be a goddamn magician to climb and ski all that terrain, and capture incredible images like that at the same time. What a boss.
    There are very very few people on this planet that can go where Bjarne goes with a camera. He's been the perfect partner for this project and I'm super lucky to have him.